• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Busted chaincase!!

Awesome... running the hell out of it with the Turbo and have zero issues so far... thats almost 3000 miles after the fix.
Awesome!! Good to hear they are holding up, I will be replacing myn with the ones you found.

It would be nice to know if yamaha has done anything about the upper bearing in 2016.

What is the proper chain tension setting ?

It a PITA!

I've had to change out my chain case twice now (due to me hitting rocks) both time I've had to buy them through Cat because they were either unavailable or on back order through Yamaha. To change out the top bearing you need to remove the retaining clip that holds in the bearing and then press it out from the back side. To do this you need to remove the chain case which involves removing the Jack shaft and the drive shaft.
20150306_093840_zpsrgjn8yvn.jpg

Now with that being said each time I changed out the Chain case I ended up changing out the Cat bearing and putting the original bearing back in due to the Cat bearing having a cheep looking plastic cage and the Yamaha bearing having a metal cage

This is the Cat bearing
20150306_091937_zpsglyy701w.jpg
Ski-Doo used a plastic bearing cage on the 2003 800's Buddys engine went every 1500 miles till he got steel cage bearings put in it at 3,000 miles, then it stayed together!

Mr sled i found the ntn part number for the fag bearing you used. What bearing do you think would work better? the ntn or fag. i'm just asking because the ntn bearings are usually the best bearings you can get.

SKF,INA,FAG,good old Timken, are all better than NTN. At least for me. YMMV.

I don't know on the 2016s but it is 1-1/2 turns out on 14s and 15s
Ok, so did we determine that the failures are caused from improper chain tension? Or cheap bearings?

My new sled comes to the dealer in the fall, then they have to install the mpi turbo, im also getting them to put a pre studded ice attack track and change the gearing.

Is there a better bearing that i should change out right away , or wait the original out?

Thanks for the input guys.

Would be nice to see them come with a regular ballbearing but Yamaha must have determined that we still need the wobble bearing even with the TCL deleted. Mine has made 6000mi so I guess its up to you. Really hasnt been that many failures.

Ski-Doo used a plastic bearing cage on the 2003 800's Buddys engine went every 1500 miles till he got steel cage bearings put in it at 3,000 miles, then it stayed together!

Alot of the plastic bearings with plastic cages are refered to as permalube bearings.
The idea behind it is they impregnate the plastic cage with a lubricant/grease and you never have to worry about lubricating it. Kinda like an oil impregnated bronze bushing.
From what i have seen these plastic caged bearings normally have a lower load rating then steel cage bearings and dont have the same durability as steel caged bearings.

For myself personally, i would never use plastic cage bearings where durability might be an issue.
I prefer to use the plastic cage bearings in light duty applications.

Hey Mr. Sled. Where did your order them from?

I had mine done at my dealer and they did not want me to have any more issues. They brought in a bearing guy and this was the best bearing on the market for that application.

Would be nice to see them come with a regular ballbearing but Yamaha must have determined that we still need the wobble bearing even with the TCL deleted. Mine has made 6000mi so I guess its up to you. Really hasnt been that many failures.
In the video a couple people have posted to show how to replace the bearings on a 1100 turbo osp installed a heavy duty jackshaft with there new bearings and it didn't look like a wobble bearing. Is that the same wobble bearing? It looked different because it was sealed on both sides. If it is a regular bearing it should fit in our case.

Back