• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

buying a used sidewinder

I just sold a 17 with a TD powertrail. Turbo force muffler 2.5”. BOV. 911 cover and lots of upgrades in maintenance. 11750 miles and I assure you mine was the cleanest looking sled you would ever see @that mileage. Great sleds. 17 were very good.
I agree Jon, these sleds don't show their age. My 17" skid still looks as good as the day I bought it and that's after one of the most lean snow seasons we've ever had. Only spot that really shows any wear are the running boards slightly from standing on them all the time.

The fit/finish, quality of these sleds has come a ways since 2014. My 2017 is a much nicer built sled than my 2014 Viper was. I have no reason to think my 2022 wont be even better.
Who says Yamaha didnt bring anything to the CAT merger. I would say build quality was one thing for sure.

went n looked at the sled, needs few things, 1 he replacedca rail cause he bent one it needs powder coated back orange, he said probably due for all bearings and the hand warmers quit working, is this common on the winders? i had to put yamaheaters on my apex cause stock ones were junk, if its common on winder is itva easy fix?

CCA8FACC-B81A-4628-BCB0-2723067B34F2.jpeg
9881FCB5-4E04-47C1-8F89-9029ED88FDC8.jpeg
9881FCB5-4E04-47C1-8F89-9029ED88FDC8.jpeg
CCA8FACC-B81A-4628-BCB0-2723067B34F2.jpeg
I agree Jon, these sleds don't show their age. My 17" skid still looks as good as the day I bought it and that's after one of the most lean snow seasons we've ever had. Only spot that really shows any wear are the running boards slightly from standing on them all the time.
I wish I could say same about my skid :( . Those pro cross chassis are not on same fit / finish with Skidoo that’s for sure I don’t know about Polaris sleds . None of my riding buddies with their Doo’s have this much corrosion on theirs ‘16-‘20 sleds. Mine also has rusted rivets on front and tail light assembly. I’m not impressed with quality of finish, not even 5k on sled yet, and I always keep it in enclosed trailer.

I've never seen a 17 that rusty either. Even the studs are rusty. It would only need to be exposed to salty roads ONCE, and it could do that much damage. I do agree that the rivets are not up to par, and that Skidoo fit and finish has came ahead leaps and bounds from 10 years ago.

I ride in Up State Ny , so conditions are not not always perfect and yes some trails are running very close to plowed roads with salt on them, not mention that there is a lot off crossings . But only my Yama / Cat looks like that in our group.

Last edited:
View attachment 161126 View attachment 161125 View attachment 161125 View attachment 161126
I wish I could say same about my skid :( . Those pro cross chassis are not on same fit / finish with Skidoo that’s for sure I don’t know about Polaris sleds . None of my riding buddies with their Doo’s have this much corrosion on theirs ‘16-‘20 sleds. Mine also has rusted rivets on front and tail light assembly. I’m not impressed with quality of finish, not even 5k on sled yet, and I always keep it in enclosed trailer.

Keeping it in an enclosed trailer is your problem. You park it in there full ice/snow, the sun beats on the trailer creating heat/condensation/sweating, which leads to pitted motor/clutches, rusted rivets and other parts.

I stay away from sleds kept in enclosed trailers. Even worse are those tarp garages, same results.

The best used sleds are the ones kept in a heated garage, however few people have that option.

Holy Crap, with that amount of rust on everything, it looks to be much older then a 2017!
Many perfect scenarios lead up to that I would say.

Whatever they were, that sucks!

Mine still looks really good under there, but I do take mine out of the trailer after most rides, and bring it in to my heated garage for a thaw and inspection, and meanwhile my trailer gets cleaned and swept, and if the sun is out and not bitterly cold, placing an open trailer in the sun for a couple of days minimizes the moisture.

After season is done, it gets a good wash and wipe before storing in my crossover trailer until September.
It all counts.
I have found both of my Bikes wet while in the garage, during perfect outside conditions. Not cold enough for heat, and doors open with moisture happening outside. Condensation happens quick in perfect conditions.

Have also seen that at a power station in the early summer during a rain storm. Racking out 15KV breakers for maintenance, and after first one I put a stop on that quick. Even the heated cells that the breakers were in couldn’t keep up with that quick amount of condensation in that entire building! Caught everyone off guard.

Perfect scenarios can happen too quick to react!

But yes, if that paint on your suspension had issues prior, a couple of scenarios probably made it worse quick!

I never had this much rust on any of my sleds. I remember back in day my ‘ 09 Nytro started to show some rust on silver A - arms, but nothing in skid. I kept my sleds in trailer for most of time, I have almost 6 hrs drive to up state trails, so I’m keeping sleds and trailer there. I have no access to heated garage in season, but I like said before only my sled looks like that.

THe rust scares me as well, I think it has been repeatedly been exposed to road salt, chemicals and slush to be like that.

Keeping it in an enclosed trailer is your problem. You park it in there full ice/snow, the sun beats on the trailer creating heat/condensation/sweating, which leads to pitted motor/clutches, rusted rivets and other parts.
That is why your trailer should be well vented, and those little soffit vents don't cut it. I put a roof vent in mine and left it open at all times to get rid of the condensation. No problems after putting a good roof vent in.

Back