• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

buying a used sidewinder

I spray my skid with wd40 after snow melts off. Before ,during and after. A arms and front shocks as well. It keeps the sled looking new and deflects moisture away from any place the paint is chipped to prevent rust. My garage is not heated,but we always get some above freezing temps to help melt snow from skid. Then,watch out,it is time to attack with the old stand by,WD40.

I’ve been using WD 40 silicone water proof spray on this sled , front suspension and skid.

This looks like my 2006 Attak skid! Been welded up about 5 times. My 2017 Winder skid looks like it came off the showroom floor after a bunch of crappy low snow seasons in western Maine! That skid was just plain abused!

We have very good luck using Permatex Rust Stop from NAPA on our skids if we get any rust which usually shows at welds. The rust stop creates a chemical reaction withe rust and turns black. After that we follow up with POR15 paint.

View attachment 161126 View attachment 161125 View attachment 161125 View attachment 161126
I wish I could say same about my skid :( . Those pro cross chassis are not on same fit / finish with Skidoo that’s for sure I don’t know about Polaris sleds . None of my riding buddies with their Doo’s have this much corrosion on theirs ‘16-‘20 sleds. Mine also has rusted rivets on front and tail light assembly. I’m not impressed with quality of finish, not even 5k on sled yet, and I always keep it in enclosed trailer.
did your trailer have a dehumidifier or vented? If not I'm surprised the plastics are not molded. On my boats I do not do a complete wrap, only the console because of moisture and mold...probably the same in a trailer for moisture.

That is why your trailer should be well vented, and those little soffit vents don't cut it. I put a roof vent in mine and left it open at all times to get rid of the condensation. No problems after putting a good roof vent in.
Did you install the roof vent yourself ?
If so , is it an easy process ?

Did you install the roof vent yourself ?
If so , is it an easy process ?
I had my trailer guy do it when he added another axle. I cant imagine it is too hard, I have put fuel doors in trailers before and it was easy.

Oh yah , gas doors would be extremely handy also .
I bought my pictured trailer off the lot , and it didn't have either .
I have never had gas doors but quite often wish I did .
I thought not having roof vents was a plus , but now see why not .

Road ditches have salt mixed with snow. Salt at road crossings, gas stations, bars, parking lots, etc. Wise to wash sled off after every ride - at least skid and front suspension.

well that 17 i did not get gut feel just wasnt good , anyway i found a 2021 ltx se brand new at a dealer, orange also, any thoghts on this model? is there any changes tgey made tgat year?

well that 17 i did not get gut feel just wasnt good , anyway i found a 2021 ltx se brand new at a dealer, orange also, any thoghts on this model? is there any changes tgey made tgat year?
great sled and colors! Only difference is the shocks are not as good as the LE model.. IMO wont be hardly ANY difference between a 21 and 22.. Now comparing a 17 to a 21 is different.. Different in a good way.. The a arms are different and the chassis has a few tweaks to it.. Flatter handling is my guess.. Im basing this off my former Sidewinder 17 SE and a 21 Cat 8000 .. Not apples to apples but a big diff in the chassis and I can feel it for sure ..

ok great thats stuff i was wondering about, i was sold on colour rite away, will i need to do the permanent top gear fix to a 21? or did they improve the chain case

ok great thats stuff i was wondering about, i was sold on colour rite away, will i need to do the permanent top gear fix to a 21? or did they improve the chain case
If you want to solve the top gear bushing issue just get the DMC top gear and your done.. IMO best option.. I have one for the 2022 I ordered already.. Rumor has it the 2022 has a better bushing in it? Rumor.. not confirmed.. That being said your 21 will have the same bushing that's been used in past models.. Put the DMC in or keep chain tension in check and replace the top gear every 4-6k miles.. Some will say sooner, I got 6k out of one of mine no problem.. DONT overtighten chain with stock gear/bushing. Top gear, drive shaft saver, and ROV delete and these sleds are damn solid!

Back