• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can’t get brake rotor off drive shaft.

rlbock

Expert
2017 Sidewinder, removed the snap ring on the drive shaft, split the caliper to remove the brake rotor, rotor will slide on shaft about a 1/16 of a inch in and out but it won’t pull off the shaft, I’ve move it in and out a 1000 times but it won’t come off, filed the splines on the end of the shaft thinking the snap ring mushroomed the splines, that hasn’t allowed the rotor to come off.
Anyone have any suggestions how to get the rotor off, I’m out of ideas.

Yeah once the inner race starts to spin it eats away at the rotor . You need to resurface that face or replace rotor and make sure everything fits tight. I've had to shim a bunch of them . Having the inside races of bearings squeezed by the brake rotor and bottom gear really helps .

Yeah once the inner race starts to spin it eats away at the rotor . You need to resurface that face or replace rotor and make sure everything fits tight. I've had to shim a bunch of them . Having the inside races of bearings squeezed by the brake rotor and bottom gear really helps .
Bearing seems fine, shaft turns with no noticeable noise, no grease residue to indicate bearing failure. No movement of shaft up and down.

The bearing usually does look fine. I wasn't referring to the bearing

Use a 3 jaw puller. Find a large thick washer to put on end of shaft for puller to push on.

Thanks Travis, my plan today is to find a 3 legged puller
Found a 3 arm puller and got the rotor off, the problem was exactly what everyone said and that was the inner race ground down the back side of the rotor a lot and also decreased the diameter of the drive axle by .07.
I want to thank everyone that replied, you are all awesome for taking your time to help me out, I greatly appreciate you all. You confirmed my impression that this site is the greatest and
Mrsled/Tom runs the GREATEST forum.
Thanks again, happy holidays!

Make sure you get a new rotor or have that edge on the rotor resurfaced properly then shimmer tight

I used a O-ring to take up the lost width of rotor hub after resurfacing. Has held up well 3000+ mi. Results may vary.
Just curious - why do you need to make up lost width? Brake pads keep rotor centered in caliper.

Back