• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase adjustment bolt

Pstn head

TY 4 Stroke Master
My chaincase tensioner bolt seems not to have enough available threads showing, It came from the dealer/factory and I did not adjust the chain tension as of yet. There's only 6 threads showing, doesn't seem like much ? Any body else notice on there Sidewinders how many threads available it's an RTX not sure if model of sled matters.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 738

Thanks cannondale27, saw that also in my manual says 1-1/2 turns out, was at the dealer today checked out a Sidewinder there and same thing about 6 threads showing, all good.

Got a tip from the dealer on adjusting chain tension.
Back the locking nut off and shake the bolt
Keep shaking as you tighten the adjuster bolt, when it stops moving, tighten the lock nut.
Just finished my first service, this method works well.
He told me they did some testing with the Yamaha spec (cover off) to do it this way.

Keep shaking as you tighten the adjuster bolt, when it stops moving, tighten the lock nut.
He told me they did some testing with the Yamaha spec (cover off) to do it this way.
They still want you to back off the adjuster 1 1/2 turns but I think most of us are only backing it off 1 turn.

He said nothing about backing off to a turn or to a turn and a half ? That's kinda strange... Seems a little tight imo without backing it off at least a turn imo, but I'm no Yamaha tech.

That'll be super tight

I did mark the adjuster bolt, and was able to get a good full turn before tight, so I don't think it is overly tight.
This dealer has been using this method since last year with no issues.
I did feel the chain, seemed fine to me, and goes into reverse with no issue.

First off that method IMO is not all that great. The chain tensioner has a fairly heavy spring on it, that pushes against the chain. So there is a GAP between end of adjuster bolt and adjuster.

I spent some time working on this with case open....so I could fully see what happens when finger tight, then backed off 1.5 turns as per manual. Well, there is a LARGE gap between the end of the bolt and adjuster. Im talking like 3/16 to 1/4" of space, since the adjuster has this spring on it pushing it against the chain.

Even when backed off 1 turn, there is still a gap.....albeit smaller.

I liked how things looked best at 3/4 turn backed off from finger tight. However, my OCD kept me up all night as I feel YAM has a reason for the 1.5 backing off....and I believe it MAY be that the reverse gear meshes in better with more play in the chain tension.

So I set mine to 1 full turn backed off, after finger tight.....and that is what I will stick with. 1.5 turns out the gap was just too big for me.

Dan

Last edited:
I just had my oil tank/chaincase leak repaired. Talked a lot with service tech about how much to back off adjuster. They only backed it off .5 of a turn. I'm not ok with that. To me if Yamaha says 1.5 it should be done to 1.5. That is alot more then normal, Yamaha must have a reason they want it there.

Back