• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch rattle.... DRIVING ME NUTS

then yours is far worse than anyone I have heard. they all rattle at idle but as soon as you raise the rpm at all they stop has been my experience. if you are hearing it over the wind and motor at speed I would be concerned.

There is too much spline tolerance, which I can actually feel when I move the primary clutch by hand. No fix for that. :)

The heat shield is good and tight. I can move the primary clutch by hand and feel the play in the spline tolerance. It is not loud when on the gas, but at a steady speed... it rattles. The noise is from the clutch side. Thanks for the impute.

It’s not from the heat shield being loose. I think it’s just something with the harmonics and the chassis. I think I know the noise you are referring to, Nytro’s and vectors don’t make that noise, vipers do and sidewinders do. Sounds like something is rattling or vibrating. I assume it’s the heatshields on the exhaust, but that’s just a guess.

Brake rotor also vibrates and chatters worse on some then others. Give the brake rotor a wiggle and you'll be able to make quite a bit of noise most likely. And then see if the rattle goes away when applying the brakes. Just one other thing to check assuming short of some major manufacturing defect that your clutch and stun shaft splines would be any worse then all of ours. One of my friends cats version is that way.

This is so odd - I can barely hear myself yelling "HELL YEAH!!!" at 8900 rpm and 18 psi inside the confined space of my helmet. I can sorta hear it below 120 mph, but definitely not above 120 mph. I guess we all have varying sensitivities to sound waves as we get older. That damn tympanic membrane . . .

If you are not buying this sled because of this noise then you are missing out. Its not a big deal. I have had 4 of these motors and it is is being WAY OVERBLOWN. It causes NO HARM or WEAR. Get used to it. Enjoy the sled.

Thats what I said about the Apex drone that everyone just hated! Now they have to listen to a rattle! But if it sounds like my buddys Nytro then it is defiantly loud!

There is clutch rattle on all three cylinder four-strokes including the 1200 Doo. It’s just the way it is. It’s compounded on the Yamaha also because of the splines on the lousy PTO stub shaft. The 1200 has no stub shaft.

My clutch rattles even while driving all the way up to about 6000 RPM, and I really hate it as I know it’s wearing clutch parts prematurely also. Part of the reason it likes to eat rollers in the clutch. It’s really bad with a bone stock muffler the clutch noise! With aftermarket muffler you hear the exhaust noise more.

The rattle at idle is not that annoying to me but the noise from about 5200 to o 6000 RPM that I think is from the stub shaft area is what bugs me the most. I don't remember hearing it till after there was about 600 miles or so on it. You can feel play in the clutch if you grab the fixed sheave on he primary. I took it in and my dealer said it's normal and sounds like all the rest, but it doesn't sound the same running it on a stand as it does when there's a load on it going down the trail. It hasn't had any change in performance, just the way it sounds.

Thats what I said about the Apex drone that everyone just hated! Now they have to listen to a rattle! But if it sounds like my buddys Nytro then it is defiantly loud!
The rattle maybe annoying, the Apex drone is almost actually headache inducing. Nowhere close. I have owned 4 3 cylinders and 3 4 cylinders

LMAO like this is something new with the 3 cyl motor????? heck even the RX1 had a rattle. It does no harm at all will rattle for 10's of thousands of miles and still be the fastest sled on the snow. If you cant deal with it at this point why buy one it is well documented going back to 2003 at least. and the guy who has had 2 3 cyl Yamaha's in the past and is ready to sell his 3rd one for the same noise really. what do you call it when you fool me 3 times??? shame on insanity? its a little bit of noise its part of what it takes to make the sled what it is. it is only auditable at idle and if anyone wants to poke fun at you for it tell the to put up or shut up and run you for pinks across the lake. and quit your dam crying. I could see if this was some new development or if it was causing something to fail prematurely. I guess no mater how reliable or how awesome of a machine they produce for you, you will find a way to cry about something.

The RX had a bit of a rattle but only if you slowed the idle down to about 1,200rpm or less. Bump rpm to 13 14 hundred and no rattle, it was the gear reducer and only at too slow an idle!

The rattle maybe annoying, the Apex drone is almost actually headache inducing. Nowhere close. I have owned 4 3 cylinders and 3 4 cylinders

Ah your one up but I have only owned two 4 cylinders and neither had a drone that would prevent me from buying another! Could never figure out the hate, maybe its like the 3 cylinder rattle! Some say its bad others say big deal!

No hate. Love the 4 cylinder motor---the drone is a killer, especially if you are hungover.

So.... If this is a PTO stub issue, how is it that the the identical Cat version chassis has absolutely no rattle?

So.... If this is a PTO stub issue, how is it that the the identical Cat version chassis has absolutely no rattle?

Different clutch design. Maybe something to do witht the self adjusting design on the cat. but I would rather have a little rattle than have my clutches be junk after a few thousand kms like the cat clutches. They don't rattle once they are off of idle either, but people seem to think they still do too.

But these sleds rattle. Its funny because when you look at the vector forum, the nytro forum, the viper forum and now the winders, they all have the same threads and supposed solutions for the clutch rattle.

But these guys are saying it’s not the clutch. So take the clutch out of the equation.

Back