• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch rattle.... DRIVING ME NUTS

LMAO like this is something new with the 3 cyl motor????? heck even the RX1 had a rattle. It does no harm at all will rattle for 10's of thousands of miles and still be the fastest sled on the snow. If you cant deal with it at this point why buy one it is well documented going back to 2003 at least. and the guy who has had 2 3 cyl Yamaha's in the past and is ready to sell his 3rd one for the same noise really. what do you call it when you fool me 3 times??? shame on insanity? its a little bit of noise its part of what it takes to make the sled what it is. it is only auditable at idle and if anyone wants to poke fun at you for it tell the to put up or shut up and run you for pinks across the lake. and quit your dam crying. I could see if this was some new development or if it was causing something to fail prematurely. I guess no mater how reliable or how awesome of a machine they produce for you, you will find a way to cry about something.

Lets face it, you cant force someone to think different. The only choice they have is to buy something else and save us another headache.
Yep like he said
X2

Last edited:
I've already thrown my .02 in on this issue with a vote for ear plugs but raising the anti to .04. Ear plugs not only put the rattle to rest but lower all the other noise like the wind and the track. You can actually hear and sense the motor better with ear plugs. It's is less fatiguing on a long ride and when you get back to the trailer your ears don't ring all the way home. It's the way I ride, rattle or not.

Here is my .02, if I have to wear ear plug to ride a Snowmbile, ATV or a Motorcycle I would just give up on the it. Thats just me. I want ANY noise other then that voice inside my head.If I listened to that voice inside my head I would never be happy, listing and knit picking everything and anything about the sled...

Buy a STM primary! Or The rattles no big deal,

Here is my .02, if I have to wear ear plug to ride a Snowmbile, ATV or a Motorcycle I would just give up on the it. Thats just me. I want ANY noise other then that voice inside my head.If I listened to that voice inside my head I would never be happy, listing and knit picking everything and anything about the sled...

Just be glad you don't have MY voices in your head!

The voices in my head are saying "why is this thread still going on?".
There is no fix. Buy a new sled. Just like the drone on an Apex, ride faster. PERIOD!

I can tell you this:
When we start our sleds in the morning, the 850 vibrates so much that the cowling makes more noise then my "Winder.
So if you can't stand this "rattle", and you decide to buy another sled to get rid of it, i guarantee that when you complain on their website about the vibration, someone will recommend getting a Sidewinder.

The voices in my head are saying "why is this thread still going on?".
There is no fix. Buy a new sled. Just like the drone on an Apex, ride faster. PERIOD!

I can tell you this:
When we start our sleds in the morning, the 850 vibrates so much that the cowling makes more noise then my "Winder.
So if you can't stand this "rattle", and you decide to buy another sled to get rid of it, i guarantee that when you complain on their website about the vibration, someone will recommend getting a Sidewinder.

I know the exact vibration you're talking about. Even my buddies 600 does that when it's warming up, and is still there a bit even when warm. There are another 3 (or more) threads just like it too, we need to start using the "search" feature more around here as there's a lot of questions being asked over and over that have been extensively discussed. I don't know what the big deal is, I can hear it at idle, and even there I'm like "meah". Once you're riding there's no way to hear it among the noise of the track, the exhaust (even stock), and other engine noises. It's a snowmobile, not a Cadillac.

Unless yours is much louder than everyone else's. Your over reacting period. No question it's annoying at a idle. But when driving its barely audible.

But good luck with whatever you buy.
I call B.S. There is NO WAY that clutch rattle requires earplugs. B.S.

I have a Nytro that makes FAR less noise (same motor design). The Sidewinder, at a steady speed (25-30 mph), is stupid loud like a bucket of bolts shaking. The spline clearance is the issue. I have had many sleds over the years and I have never had one so loud! Ha... B.S. Yep, I am making it up. No sense in beating a dead horse. Regards.

I hear laughing inside my helmet when we ride...when that stops, I quit!
But for the clatter, try some power services diesel clean....my sidewinder diesel does NOT like low sulphur, but that's all I can get!!!

I have a Nytro that makes FAR less noise (same motor design). The Sidewinder, at a steady speed (25-30 mph), is stupid loud like a bucket of bolts shaking. The spline clearance is the issue. I have had many sleds over the years and I have never had one so loud! Ha... B.S. Yep, I am making it up. No sense in beating a dead horse. Regards.
then yours is far worse than anyone I have heard. they all rattle at idle but as soon as you raise the rpm at all they stop has been my experience. if you are hearing it over the wind and motor at speed I would be concerned.

Last edited:
I think I know what you are hearing. It’s not clutch rattle. These heat shields on the sidewinders and the vipers seems to resonate at certain speeds.

I think I know what you are hearing. It’s not clutch rattle. These heat shields on the sidewinders and the vipers seems to resonate at certain speeds.

The heat shield is good and tight. I can move the primary clutch by hand and feel the play in the spline tolerance. It is not loud when on the gas, but at a steady speed... it rattles. The noise is from the clutch side. Thanks for the impute.

then yours is far worse than anyone I have heard. they all rattle at idle but as soon as you raise the rpm at all they stop has been my experience. if you are hearing it over the wind and motor at speed I would be concerned.

Back