• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

When you get a Viper you will find the clutches on these do not tune like the Apex or Phazer they are a bit different, even the roller size is different. That being said the concept of this thread is to pass on for free the work we did to benefit our Viper brothers. Those that do not do their own work will buy a kit and that is fine, but there are those of us who always do our own and that is what this thread is about.

Clutches tune the same, no matter what motor they are attached to. The horsepower curves may be different, but clutching tuning is the same.

Just remember dyno results are different than real world results. No matter how you go about it, you will have a better running sled with whoever's clutch kit you go with.

Some of the top racers in the world use a track dyno or track dyno services. Real world and dyno results are only as good as the person doing both. Real world results can be fudged just as easily as dyno results, but doing either would be foolish.

Some of the top racers in the world use a track dyno or track dyno services. Real world and dyno results are only as good as the person doing both. Real world results can be fudged just as easily as dyno results, but doing either would be foolish.

I agree with you on the racers using the track dyno, but I do know that the settings aren't the same (jetting, clutching for different conditions - bad ice/good ice, asphalt compared to grass) I had my Vmax 4 dynoed at AAEN 2 years ago and had to change a lot to run it on ice. Sled was dynoed at 59°, racing was -12° I had to make major changes.

As far as the fudging you say, how can you fudge a dyno?

Exactly like Allen said. The Viper clutches are no different (other than the state of tune) than any other Yamaha clutches! The primary responds to spring pressure by spring or shim the same way, weight and weight profile the same way, and roller size also has the same effect regardless of what sled it's on. Driven clutch is effected by cam angle and spring's exactly the same as any other Yamaha clutch. Also the clutch has no idea if it is being spun from a crank shaft or a PTO shaft from a reduction (Apex) 9,000 RPM is 9,000 RPM and the primary clutch only knows RPM. There is no magic or mystery to the Viper clutches!

Dyno results can be skewed and result's are only as good as the user. Dyno's are a valuable tool but fine tuning in the condition used in are usually needed. A good tunner can usually get you close on the Dyno.

Today's word is "tuning" boys and girls.......

I believe that is what is on everybody's mind here.... You need to "tune" for the sled you have. You can't put Nytro "tuning" on a Viper and have it perform the same. Just like you can't take RX1 "tuning" and put it on an SRX

You can put a FX Nytro "tune" in a SR Viper. It's going to need about 2 grams less clutch weight per arm to keep it in it's happy place, but it can be done without any problems and easily (especially when you have an easily adjusted weight).

LOL, I can't wait to come across them in the snow then. Viper clutch setup is very different than a Nytro. Or Terry could be wrong and his time slips are faked. Terry?

So what did Terry's sled run on the asphalt box stock? Or didn't he ever run it that way? Is there any other SR Viper's out there so we can compare against something?

Maybe Terry wants to meet up at the World Series of Ice Drags and run them? Then I guess we would know who is the fastest. ISR has a minimum weight for sled and driver, stock class requires stock exhaust and intake. Only modifications allowed would be ice drag track with studs, clutching, gearing, and suspension setup (using stock suspension obviously). :dunno:

So what did Terry's sled run on the asphalt box stock? Or didn't he ever run it that way? Is there any other SR Viper's out there so we can compare against something?

Maybe Terry wants to meet up at the World Series of Ice Drags and run them? Then I guess we would know who is the fastest. ISR has a minimum weight for sled and driver, stock class requires stock exhaust and intake. Only modifications allowed would be ice drag track with studs, clutching, gearing, and suspension setup (using stock suspension obviously). :dunno:

I have to agree with Allen on this one as I have seen a Nytro at the Amsnow shoot out 5 years ago run 10.60 @ 115 so Nos Pros runs are not that impressive to be honest

Hey Allen where's the World Series of ice drags this year,last time I was there racing it was in cedarville mi long time ago

Oconto falls Wisconsin. It's been back there for three or four years now. I think it's the second weekend in February?

I have to agree with Allen on this one as I have seen a Nytro at the Amsnow shoot out 5 years ago run 10.60 @ 115 so Nos Pros runs are not that impressive to be honest

Stone88 - I wish this sled had the same torque curve as the Viper....but trying to get this sled to run the closest to the Rev Limiter without hitting it s a challenge. Plus...I am still spinning. My 60 fts. are horrible. If I were to have a 1.30 60 ft. my times would be 10.70's. The Nytro you speak of is TEAM and yes they did run 10's, but I can bet you he won't run that at my local tracks because the surface prep isn't like the Major tracks like Route 66 Raceway, state of the art race track. The rev limiter needs to be raised to get the most power out of it.

Back