• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

OK, lets recap,

1. Barry D&D does not perform the same on trail and deep snow
2. Cannondale had to fine tune his Ulmer kit (no biggy)
3. Our DIY runs asphalt, trail, and deep powder above 10k the same. Minor fine tuning like Cannondale did for personal tastes recommended.

Opinions are great, but proof means more to me.

As a matter of FACT..the asphalt viper is running different weights as the setup described here..which pretty well voids out the comparison to a 10k foot deep snow package and the straight line asphalt viper.

As for proof I have a laptop full of records from the clutching we did this winter, maybe one to consider is the 91 mph 660' my viper posted, or the 100 mph 1000' or the 102mph 1/4 mile, all of which were done on snow..I'll be sure to look back and see what my fastest 1/4 mile time was too

As a matter of FACT..the asphalt viper is running different weights as the setup described here..which pretty well voids out the comparison to a 10k foot deep snow package and the straight line asphalt viper.

8fs and 8fp are almost identical. I used 8fs first, and as they cost 100 bucks more than 8fp we went with 8fp. Terry runs 8fp and I had 8fs in the girlfriends sled last year but now both Terry and my Viper run 8fp.

I bought a set of 8fp for my new Viper build, in fact used on the classified forum here for $75 bucks. See pic below of comparison of the two. I don't know why you are angry, you have a clutch that suits you and we have one that suits us. I have never questioned that yours works and am glad it does. You continue to imply ours does not work and everybody that has tried it liked it. Is there a better setup? If not there will be but the cheap setup works as good as any for now, snow falls who knows what will come out?

weights.jpg

Last edited:
What do you guys recommend for mtx turbo for clutching will this cheap kit work?

What do you guys recommend for mtx turbo for clutching will this cheap kit work?

I will find out as soon as I get my turbo, but I suspect it will with much more weight added to the weights. But please note we have not tested that yet. If you try it please post results good or bad.

Nos pro was running a 45/39.
i think he said it was a dalton or ulmer.
I was Following his posts, But when i ordered mine i f-ed up and ordered a 49/35.
Im gonna give it a try, If i dont like it i will put the stock helix back on till i can order the correct helix.

RTX - Yes, 45/39 worked great for me. Too bad I don't know anyone with a 5 axis machining center....You could have it re-cut.

They make some rivots that are made of heavy material, heavier than the steel rivots so I believe you could do this cheap kit and get the heaviest rivots to make it work, but I agree with Stingray, gonna take some tuning as I have been naturally aspirated this whole time. But there is room to add more weight to the cam arms. Plus, steeper angles on the helix will help as you will have more power to play with

Guys, this is a great post! As mentioned, I want every Viper owner to love his/her sled and I am so happy to see the great posts of one helping another :)

In the past I have used clutch kits and have fine tuned them in to make some pretty fast setups, but this time I wanted to take stock parts that I had lying around and put them to use. When Stingray and I talked this past winter, he told me what weights he was using and I was like "Really?" Couldn't believe the difference and so glad I tried it. Since then, Bill and I have talked countless times on the phone and I just want to say "Thank you Bill!" You have knowledge about things I just shake my head at and try to figure it out, but after you explain it, it makes sense. Better yet, when I try it....it really makes sense!

I don't get on here much.... as there is usually something going on be it the new house, keeping my kids doing their homework, work, paying the bills and keeping up with daily chores.

But I will say this......by now, mostly everyone in my area has heard of the 5 year old Manitowoc down syndrome boy who was scalded and hit by his mother. Day before yesterday, I found out it is my next door neighbor :( These are good people and everytime I have seen them outside, they have been a loving family. Now, I said the same nasty things many are saying on FB and on the news....but it hit me when I found out it was my next door neighbor, my friends, people who I trust and still trust. They adopted 2 down syndrome boys and I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I have 2 boys and have "lost it" a time or 2 with them. Not to the point of hitting them repeatidly with my hand like she did...and definitley not scalding them, but a good spank on the #*$&@ got them to know I meant business. The reporters have been calling and the police/district attorneys have been asking a lot of questions. I would have never expected this to happen to them :(

What I'm trying to say is I have a huge heart and I want to help every Viper owner out there make their sled perform the way it should have from the factory. This is me....this is who I am.... a genuine guy who back in 2003 - 2005 on ty rides would do carb syncs on whoever's RX1 or Vector. At one time I think there were 25-30 sleds outside waiting for a carb tune. A member who had a turbo installed on his sled was not running right, so I worked on it making it perform as he was so unhappy with the way it was not running right. When members sleds would burn down or have problems, I usually had a spare sled I would borrow out so they could ride the next day. I remember lying in the snow adjusting shocks and working on suspensions so their sleds weren't unsafe on the trail. As for me, I would never let someone sit on the side of the trail.

I do this because I LOVE THIS SPORT! The users and followers on this site rock and have become family to me. Sorry for the rambling, but I just wanted to share a little about myself and why I do the things I do. RIDE ON!!!

If you ever want to ride around Cadillac MI just let me know. I'm always the guy who helps out all his friends with their sleds too, but even though I know more then most of them I have a lot to learn.

Have you guys ever tinkered with the 8BU weights? even in a turbo set up you can put brass rivets in for extra weight and they are amazing.... For playing in the hills I am a very strong believer in the 8BU weights...
I was running 8BU weights
3.6 gram base and .9 tip
pink/silver/pink primary
39 degree helix and a white spring at 6-3
one shim behind primary spring
gearing 21/40 1.9 ratio
hits hard and can pull a long hill without loosing a lot of power

Terry, the wealth of knowledge you contribute to this site along with your experience and willing to help other less knowledgeable members is phenomenal. I can't thank you enough for the help and insight you've given me on my new viper and you hardly new me from a whole in the wall. It is a very comforting feeling knowing that a group of us here on TY Are like a family, and help if needed is only a click or phone call away. If you are ever wanting to ride North of the border, do not hesitate to contact me and don't worrie about accommodations. I will also try my best to make a trip south of the border. Once again, I can't thank you enough for what you contribute to this awesome forum
Ashton

14' Viper XTX SE

Back