• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

Yeah after hearing so much about the coil bind issues plus not getting the belt deflection I wanted it was a no brainier for me to get my secondary machined
oh I forgot to mention,thanks for the heads up on the coil bind issue Bill,it's nice having you guys help a noob get his viper all set before snow flies;)

oh I forgot to mention,thanks for the heads up on the coil bind issue Bill,it's nice having you guys help a noob get his viper all set before snow flies;)

Kerrdog - That's what is awesome about the guys on this site....we want to help! Simple things to make the Viper run better, handle better and even get better fuel mileage. :)

I noticed the coil bind back in February when a member broke his secondary spring. I put a new one in and when it didn't work, I thought "hmmmmm, why is the paint gone on the coils?" After that it was clear certain springs do not have the clearance on the secondary clutch. The stock pink spring is one of them. hence, the extra washer under the helix when I was testing clutching.

Now....doing a lot of thinking here..... this coil bind issue could be why the 8JP did not last and the 8DN is doing so well. Think about this, the 8JP is shorter than the 8DN....if the shorter belt would go down into the secondary "without" machining done to the secondary, it would try to open the secondary more than the 8DN in which the coil bind issue would really kill top end by not letting the secondary move through the entire movement, hence coil binding and slipping the belt causing the belt to create a bunch of powder and burn the belts to a crisp....creating the black residue! BY GEORGE!!!! I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! The 8DN is a longer belt that would climb more on the primary (more rpms and shift) and not getting to the coil bind area as fast as the 8JP :) This is why the 8DN went faster and then adding the washers under he helix made the top mph numbers show :)

I've seen some posts, guys running the 8BU weights. How many grams are those, and how do they compare to the 8FP?

Looks too aggressive to me, but feel free to try and let us know.

8fp.jpg

8bu.jpg

OK, so they are a bunch lighter then (20+ grams)...

The clutch weight chart I found online, didn't have the one's that Stingray just posted!

One of the Nytro 180/190 setups I found online was:

8BU Weights full of steel rivets
Orange/Pink/Orange
14.5mm rollers
Shockwave 1/2 turn out (~44*)
EPI Purple secondary spring 1-0
20-40 gearing

2500-6500' elevation

Be worth a try turbo800 :)

I have some 8BU weights, I want to give them a try for winter.

Back