• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

Have you guys ever tinkered with the 8BU weights? even in a turbo set up you can put brass rivets in for extra weight and they are amazing.... For playing in the hills I am a very strong believer in the 8BU weights...
I was running 8BU weights
3.6 gram base and .9 tip
pink/silver/pink primary
39 degree helix and a white spring at 6-3
one shim behind primary spring
gearing 21/40 1.9 ratio
hits hard and can pull a long hill without loosing a lot of power

Yukon - I run 8BU 10's in my ice drag Vmax4, they are a great weight! Just replied to your PM before I saw this post. I might have to try this......

Terry, the wealth of knowledge you contribute to this site along with your experience and willing to help other less knowledgeable members is phenomenal. I can't thank you enough for the help and insight you've given me on my new viper and you hardly new me from a whole in the wall. It is a very comforting feeling knowing that a group of us here on TY Are like a family, and help if needed is only a click or phone call away. If you are ever wanting to ride North of the border, do not hesitate to contact me and don't worrie about accommodations. I will also try my best to make a trip south of the border. Once again, I can't thank you enough for what you contribute to this awesome forum
Ashton

14' Viper XTX SE

Viiper - Thank you so much! You are very welcome Ashton and look forward to riding with you one of these seasons :)

Yukon - I run 8BU 10's in my ice drag Vmax4, they are a great weight! Just replied to your PM before I saw this post. I might have to try this......
Terry I think I have 2 sets of 8BU's.

RTX - Yes, 45/39 worked great for me. Too bad I don't know anyone with a 5 axis machining center....You could have it re-cut.

I was actually thinking about contacting the vendor i bought it from about having it recut and see what he had to say
I paid $80.15 shipped to my door.
To be honest it might not even be worth it. Once its shipped both ways and machined i probably save $20 bucks.

Probably just going to bite the bullet and buy another.

Have you guys ever tinkered with the 8BU weights? even in a turbo set up you can put brass rivets in for extra weight and they are amazing.... For playing in the hills I am a very strong believer in the 8BU weights...
I was running 8BU weights
3.6 gram base and .9 tip
pink/silver/pink primary
39 degree helix and a white spring at 6-3
one shim behind primary spring
gearing 21/40 1.9 ratio
hits hard and can pull a long hill without loosing a lot of power

8bu force more upshift than I like, but that doesn't mean they can't be set right.

Guys, this is a great post! As mentioned, I want every Viper owner to love his/her sled and I am so happy to see the great posts of one helping another :)

In the past I have used clutch kits and have fine tuned them in to make some pretty fast setups, but this time I wanted to take stock parts that I had lying around and put them to use. When Stingray and I talked this past winter, he told me what weights he was using and I was like "Really?" Couldn't believe the difference and so glad I tried it. Since then, Bill and I have talked countless times on the phone and I just want to say "Thank you Bill!" You have knowledge about things I just shake my head at and try to figure it out, but after you explain it, it makes sense. Better yet, when I try it....it really makes sense!

I don't get on here much.... as there is usually something going on be it the new house, keeping my kids doing their homework, work, paying the bills and keeping up with daily chores.

But I will say this......by now, mostly everyone in my area has heard of the 5 year old Manitowoc down syndrome boy who was scalded and hit by his mother. Day before yesterday, I found out it is my next door neighbor :( These are good people and everytime I have seen them outside, they have been a loving family. Now, I said the same nasty things many are saying on FB and on the news....but it hit me when I found out it was my next door neighbor, my friends, people who I trust and still trust. They adopted 2 down syndrome boys and I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I have 2 boys and have "lost it" a time or 2 with them. Not to the point of hitting them repeatidly with my hand like she did...and definitley not scalding them, but a good spank on the #*$&@ got them to know I meant business. The reporters have been calling and the police/district attorneys have been asking a lot of questions. I would have never expected this to happen to them :(

What I'm trying to say is I have a huge heart and I want to help every Viper owner out there make their sled perform the way it should have from the factory. This is me....this is who I am.... a genuine guy who back in 2003 - 2005 on ty rides would do carb syncs on whoever's RX1 or Vector. At one time I think there were 25-30 sleds outside waiting for a carb tune. A member who had a turbo installed on his sled was not running right, so I worked on it making it perform as he was so unhappy with the way it was not running right. When members sleds would burn down or have problems, I usually had a spare sled I would borrow out so they could ride the next day. I remember lying in the snow adjusting shocks and working on suspensions so their sleds weren't unsafe on the trail. As for me, I would never let someone sit on the side of the trail.

I do this because I LOVE THIS SPORT! The users and followers on this site rock and have become family to me. Sorry for the rambling, but I just wanted to share a little about myself and why I do the things I do. RIDE ON!!!

Thanks Terry!

Back when I raced Stock Cars they called me "The Mad Scientist" because I was always building something strange. My fun comes from trying something new and making it work, then I like to share. And yeah Terry, sometimes the girlfriend wants to kill me when we drive 6 hours to sled and I spend most of the day helping others.

Can't wait to see what I can find in the MPI turbo to mod....lol

Guys, this is a great post! As mentioned, I want every Viper owner to love his/her sled and I am so happy to see the great posts of one helping another :)

In the past I have used clutch kits and have fine tuned them in to make some pretty fast setups, but this time I wanted to take stock parts that I had lying around and put them to use. When Stingray and I talked this past winter, he told me what weights he was using and I was like "Really?" Couldn't believe the difference and so glad I tried it. Since then, Bill and I have talked countless times on the phone and I just want to say "Thank you Bill!" You have knowledge about things I just shake my head at and try to figure it out, but after you explain it, it makes sense. Better yet, when I try it....it really makes sense!

I don't get on here much.... as there is usually something going on be it the new house, keeping my kids doing their homework, work, paying the bills and keeping up with daily chores.

But I will say this......by now, mostly everyone in my area has heard of the 5 year old Manitowoc down syndrome boy who was scalded and hit by his mother. Day before yesterday, I found out it is my next door neighbor :( These are good people and everytime I have seen them outside, they have been a loving family. Now, I said the same nasty things many are saying on FB and on the news....but it hit me when I found out it was my next door neighbor, my friends, people who I trust and still trust. They adopted 2 down syndrome boys and I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I have 2 boys and have "lost it" a time or 2 with them. Not to the point of hitting them repeatidly with my hand like she did...and definitley not scalding them, but a good spank on the #*$&@ got them to know I meant business. The reporters have been calling and the police/district attorneys have been asking a lot of questions. I would have never expected this to happen to them :(

What I'm trying to say is I have a huge heart and I want to help every Viper owner out there make their sled perform the way it should have from the factory. This is me....this is who I am.... a genuine guy who back in 2003 - 2005 on ty rides would do carb syncs on whoever's RX1 or Vector. At one time I think there were 25-30 sleds outside waiting for a carb tune. A member who had a turbo installed on his sled was not running right, so I worked on it making it perform as he was so unhappy with the way it was not running right. When members sleds would burn down or have problems, I usually had a spare sled I would borrow out so they could ride the next day. I remember lying in the snow adjusting shocks and working on suspensions so their sleds weren't unsafe on the trail. As for me, I would never let someone sit on the side of the trail.

I do this because I LOVE THIS SPORT! The users and followers on this site rock and have become family to me. Sorry for the rambling, but I just wanted to share a little about myself and why I do the things I do. RIDE ON!!!

I have ridden with Terry and its great because it is contageous pretty soon everyone is helping each other.....THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. Cant wait to do it again. Thanks to all who help and lets all try to Help

Not looking to argue the issue but In my opinion i think your post is a bit misleading
The retail cost of 400 for ulmers kit is the ACTUAL cost. Not including shipping.

As far as yamaha parts go, I dont know of anyone that pays retail for parts. The ACTUAL prices i paid for my parts are listed below
8fp weight = 36.63 x 3 = 109.89
Rivets .50 x 3 =. 1.50
Shim/washer 4.86 x 3 = 14.59
Spring green white green= 17.14
Total 143.12 + 20 shipping =163.12
49/35 progressive helix = 69.95 +10.20 shipping = 80.15
243.27 total

There is an easy $ 150 difference in the 2 prices.

Is it easier to adjust ulmers clutch? ABSOLUTELY!!!
The thing is, the vast majority of the clutch tuning has already been done on the parts being discussed here.
Changing out 50 cent rivets 1 or 2 times to get it perfect isn't a big issue. At least not for me when i know im saving $150

Simply put,if you dont have the tools, are not mechanically inclined, dont care about cost, or expect to modify your sled anytime soon. Buy a kit from a reputable vendor thats easy to adjust.

If you have tools, are mechanically inclined, love to save money and like to do some tinkering yourself.
give the parts listed here a try.

In my opinion either solution is a win

And if you search, I've seen a Ulmer kit from a FX Nytro or a Vector in the classifieds go for $200, you may need a different primary spring or secondary spring, but it can be found for a discounted price or the beginning of September Ulmer had a sale as well. Usually if you buy something used like that Allen will help you with the setup of the weights for it as well.

Either way it doesn't matter, just go out and enjoy the snow!

Terry I think I have 2 sets of 8BU's.

You've been holding out on me...haven't you.... LOL :)

I would like to try them this year if I could pal :)

I was actually thinking about contacting the vendor i bought it from about having it recut and see what he had to say
I paid $80.15 shipped to my door.
To be honest it might not even be worth it. Once its shipped both ways and machined i probably save $20 bucks.

Probably just going to bite the bullet and buy another.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing this past weekend. SHipping prices are nuts these days.

Thanks Terry!

Back when I raced Stock Cars they called me "The Mad Scientist" because I was always building something strange. My fun comes from trying something new and making it work, then I like to share. And yeah Terry, sometimes the girlfriend wants to kill me when we drive 6 hours to sled and I spend most of the day helping others.

Can't wait to see what I can find in the MPI turbo to mod....lol
Stingray - the mad scientist.....That's got a ring to it ;)

You've been holding out on me...haven't you.... LOL :)

I would like to try them this year if I could pal :)
I'll find them and send them to you. will look when i get home today and send tomorrow possibly.

I have ridden with Terry and its great because it is contageous pretty soon everyone is helping each other.....THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. Cant wait to do it again. Thanks to all who help and lets all try to Help

Thank you Mark :)

I see a lot of help on this forum...more help than other sites which I don't even go to anymore. This site is home for me :)

OK, funny story of the day. (It was brought up this ast weekend and had to share again)

Was the 1st year for the apex and just after meeting up with friends on Rib Lake to do some radar testing, a couple of friends and myself went to Houghton/Hancock to ride the Keweenaw trails. There is a bar just east of Houghton that makes a french onion soup to die for. When we walked in the door, the ski-doo owners just looked and snickered. But, there was a guy belly up to the bar with Arctic Cat apparal on and when he saw me in Yamaha gear, he asked if I owned one of those new "Heavy" RX1's. I replied "yes, I still own and RX1 and I have a new Apex outside". He said, "That's one of those new 4 strokes, right?" I replied, "yes, just like the RX1 but with fuel injection now". I walked to our table and ordered. The guy wouldn't be quiet and you could tell he was there for awhile pounding them down. After our soup, we were paying our bill and the guy just wouldn't leave me alone. Very drunk and unstable by now....he said his thundercat outside wanted to race my sled. I just chuckled and went back to put my gear on. When I looked, the guy was gone.....only to find out he was just outside looking at my sled. He stopped me once again and wanted to race me, very very drunk at this time. I thought to myslef, I'm not going to stop this guy from razzing people, but I am going to put a stop to his driving home drunk on a sled. I took out some wrenches, took the bolts out of his skis and put the skis on backwards. Aiming the sled into deep snow. 1st off, he won't be able to turn because of the ski-loops hitting the bellypan and if he tries to go forward, the skis will only dig it deeper. He came outside (forgot his helmet) and tried to fire up the sled. We were there in case he were to try and hurt himself but after the first tug on the pull cord of his Cat sent him falling backward, we knew this guy wasn't going anywhere. I showed him how easy it was to start ours by turning the key and he just ignored me. He did finally get it the sled started and drove the sled right into deep snow like I planned, spinning the track and digging it deeper into a hole. WIth that, he said "something wrong with my sled, won't turn right". He kicked his sled and went back into the bar where I took his key and gave it to the bartender, telling him to call a cab.....he's not going anywhere. The other people in the bar heard what we did and laughed when they heard what we did to his sled.

This was one instance of many where I may have saved a life....either his or someone else on the trail.....

Those of you running stock pink secondary spring take a good look at it. Mine is actually wearing out on the inside with only 3300 mi on it. Looked at couple other springs from Phazer and srx I had laying around and none have anywhere near that amount of wear. Sure looks like spring bind causing this. Will try to get a decent pic.

Those of you running stock pink secondary spring take a good look at it. Mine is actually wearing out on the inside with only 3300 mi on it. Looked at couple other springs from Phazer and srx I had laying around and none have anywhere near that amount of wear. Sure looks like spring bind causing this. Will try to get a decent pic.

Do this test, remove helix put a washer on each of the three studs then Helix back on. You will see a big difference, you are right this secondary seems to bind more than the old ones. Just a test though as the recommended way is to have secondary machined.

Back