• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

code 84? Intercooler popping off of motor?

youngster66

Veteran
Saw a breif reading of code 84! boost was up high on premium fuel. Gave my Apex turbo a brief taste of W.O.T.The motor started to flutter so I let off immediatily. When slowed down I saw this code come up with the warning light flash! Almost stalled when I slowed down. Boost gage said 11lbs. I then drove back to my trailer only going to half throttle at the most. It ran good but only did about 60 MPH. I think I will turn my bost down a pound of two. Will check to see that intercooler is is still joined to motor as It has popped off before. Any feedback is appreciated. :yam:

Apex code 84!

T.O.R.S.? Not sure what that is? How do I correct this? Could this cause the fluttering on top? Gonna take off intercooler tonight. By looking it doesn't look like it popped off of motor. run it a week ago and never seen code 84? Shortened wastegate before going out and code came. Couldn't hold throttle wideopen because of flutter. Was at 11 lbs yesterday. Last week was at 8lbs and could hold it wide open for a long time. I have a bit of race gass added to my tank. maybe 1 gal of 110 octane and topped her up with premium. thought I should be fine. Want to be at 10 lbs for trail. I may have seen this code before. maybe once briefly last november. Thanks for reponding to my post!

Head shimmed on your sled? 10 psi on pump fuel is a no no depending on your altitude.

Code 84 = Throttle over ride system

if your at Portage you better use race fuel unless your engine has been shimmed or low comp pistons etc. you can buy 110 in fargo nd. for 5.30 a gal. . you might have blown off the throttle bodies which is hard to see sometimes . put a tire air valve in a capped piece of pvc pipe that fits into the intake of your cooler pressurize that you'll find where your air is going

if your throttle bodies are off take the clamps and grind those spacers in half so you can get them tighter, put some silicone adhesive on the throats or I use hairspray. put it back together ,not a fun job you need to cut off a couple allen wrenchs to make some special tools, but I think you need to use race fuel I'm guessing ur at 1500' ???

Code 84

I had the same problem on my MPI stage 1 so I bypassed the TORS. I also had the flutter and burbling at high boost where I found out I needed more fuel so I installed a stand alone MSD #2225 fuel pump. I am running 10.5 pounds of boost with 3 head gaskets at 1000' using 94 octane Sunoco. I have 3/4" aluminum box tubing along with turnbuckles to keep the IC in place.

Attachments

• HPIM0121.JPG
    HPIM0121.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 68
  • HPIM0112.JPG
    HPIM0112.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 79
Filter

Yes it is, I just installed it. I figured the stock location was inside the air box where it was filtered so why not? Could not see allowing dirt into my motor. Seems to idle just fine.

You sure your not bouncing off the rev limiter at WOT? You said you went from 8 to 11 lbs boost. Did you also add clutch weight. If not, you could be bouncing off the rev limiter and it will sputter if you hit the rev limiter. What are your RPMS at WOT?

Not on rev limiter. Popping happens before it would hit the limiter. Two months ago I ran 14 lbs and had no fuel or poping of flutter while grass dragging my Apex. I'm thinking I was close to detomation. Boost was 11 or 12 lbs. Hard to tell by looking at a small guage when your arms are being pulled off and watching out for everything else.. Who knows if the premium fuel I bought was up to specs? I will turn my boost down to 10 lbs. Had it out last weekend on 8lbs and it pulled flawlessly up to 120 Mph. I did see the code 84 after a high speed hit yesterday. The motor wanted to stall but i feathered the throttle and it recoveredto idle with the code 84 going off? My head is shimmed with 3 gaskets.
Temp. here is -25C. Went to start it this AM and battery was dead. Jumpstart worked but wouldn't start when shut off. Need a new battery. Could that have contributed to my flutter at WOT???? This is only my 5th time out with my turbo. Still getting it dialed in. I have modified the clamps holding the EFI bodies on by taking out the spacers. Not sure if they are popped off. Will inspect tommorrow. Will post what I find. Thanks for input!

Back