• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CoPiTrail, GAP Innovation announcement 2017-05-04

They use Bluetooth for their program? And that sounds great I will have to look into this more. Seems like a cool deal. Especially if they have the maps for where I ride

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your interest and questions.

Q: An IPad mini4 is rated for 0c or 32F has this set-up been tested in "real life" riding conditions?

This was one of the first interrogations we had to verify when testing began in winter of 2015-2016. We had units fitted on our Arctic Cats 1100 Turbos and a few high millage beta testers as well. This winter was abnormally cold and windy here therefore we quickly determined that it was viable to use an iPad Mini. The battery itself is the weak link but enough variables play in our favour. Charging the battery while driving, heating the iPad with the heating pad as well as heat coming from the sled itself have proven sufficient to keep everything cozy and warm. Forward to last winter (2016-2017) where we added the 998cc Turbo and a few other high millage beta testers for a total of around 20 000 km without major issue. This includes cold temperatures found in northern Quebec (Mont Valin), high speed runs as far as the eye can see from heavily modified 998cc Turbos, hot end of season temperature with rain, and extreme snow conditions:

Of course, we strongly suggest not leaving the iPad on the sled for long periods of time when not in use. This is why we came up with a quick release system.

This is the iPad support bracket with heating pad in the middle.

With the iPad installed but not locked into place.

And finally, with the locking tabs closed.

Q: That's why it comes with the heating pad. I'd be more concerned with using gloves on the screen. I don't know of any glass type touch screens that work well with gloves or when moisture gets on them. Still looks pretty cool.

We have used gloves with inserts that do support touchscreen successfully. We had to remove the glove outside layer to use the inner one, less clumsy. We’ve stopped at intersections often to adjust and test items and removing the whole gloves did not bother us more than removing the outside layer only. The App remembers your current layout, map zoom, live value selections and the likes reducing the need to change items. Small amount of moisture, snow or water droplets do not affect the touch screen. Of course, large amounts will require wiping the screen off with a tissue.

Q: Any intension of making an android version for those of us that hate apple products?

We do not plan on adding Android at the current time due to the many devices format and hardware differences. The many variants prevent us from testing each one on environmental conditions thus guarantee proper functioning. The iPad Mini 4 has proven to be the better candidate due to the screen superior visibility on daytime usage and other factors.

Q: this doesn't require an iPad with a data plan correct? Also any videos or more photos of the installed iPad and relocated gauge? Also if it gives all gauge functions is the gauge needed still?

The App does not need data from the internet to work. All Map data for all available zoom level is pre-downloaded by the user thus making for a completely standalone system. CoPiFriends which shows the location of your ride partners does, however, require data connection either from the iPad itself or from a phone using Hotspot. We recommend leaving the gauge installed as a backup unit and for proper odometer value since it’s calculated by the gauge.

The following pictures are taken from an Arctic Cat ZR 9000 RR 2017. The installation looks exactly the same on a Yamaha Sidewinder. The iPad screen itself does not look at its best on these pictures due to the viewing angle. They do, however, show the position of each element relative to the cab.

And this one is from an XF 9000 2014 which is also supported.

Q: Also I use a Bluetooth speaker system in my helmet. Would this open like an app so that I could also load all my music onto the iPad and play it from there? Or atleast allow me to use home button to exit back to the home screen to open music and then reopen the "dash/gps" screen to ride?

And…

yes the software is an app. I currently use many of the functions through the Turbodynamics products. For sure multiple apps can be run at the same time. What I am not sure is if the Bluetooth will send multiple signals simultaneously. I assume it would. I can try as I also have a set of headphones that connect blue tooth.

The iPad can receive data from multiple sources on Bluetooth. As per 1100saber, one would have to confirm that his Bluetooth headphones will work properly in this scenario. We have also a few ideas in mind for quickly making changes without the need to stop and remove gloves including usage of Siri.

If you have any additional questions, please ask!

Best Regards

Very cool and appreciate the responses! Just an idea. There is the power outlet for charging uses also, but could a lightening connector be added into the heating pad cable so that it's charged off same source as heating pad and keeping all ports open? Just an idea. But love the concept and look forward to looking into it more once sled shows up in the fall

You're welcome and thanks for the positive comments. Good point, we did actually test with a few charging options connected on our wiring harness but have not yet found a better charger then the one connected on the 12V cigar outlet. If we find the right one, we will use a charger that connects on the harness thus leaving the 12V outlet free.

Great product, i run this set-Up and i recommend this product, great costumer service and great people, they run sled and do Some milleage before they sale the product, and You can switch your programmation and do Some run and look at the log after, and look at your boost,intake,speed,rpm,air fuel etc.......
And You have a Big GPS with the ipad.
I spend Some money for that system and i'm so satisfied, it fit perfect on my sidewinder.
And now i can tell everybody i have One it's no More a secret !! Lolll

IMG_0061.PNG
[ATTACH=full

Last edited:
And with the copi friend option You can see your friend on the map, really great When your friend just want to join the group and don't start at the same spot

I think ARCTIVA makes gloves with something in the finger tips that allows easy touch screen use

IMG_0158.PNG
IMG_0157.PNG
You can change the color and the sensor You want on the display for the log, with your Finger You can zoom a part of the log and move the cursor on the log if it's to long to see only wath You want.
IMG_0157.PNG

Kinda steep but awesome cool product. I have always wanted to integrate an iPad mini as my GPS. Capacitive touch screens are not the best in wet environments. Had a hairy ride across the Delaware Bay on Waverunners in 8' seas and couldn't get iPhone to unlock for navigation.

Is the mount on Thingiverse? I got whole roll of red filament to match my Red LTX.

Kinda steep but awesome cool product. I have always wanted to integrate an iPad mini as my GPS. Capacitive touch screens are not the best in wet environments. Had a hairy ride across the Delaware Bay on Waverunners in 8' seas and couldn't get iPhone to unlock for navigation.

Is the mount on Thingiverse? I got whole roll of red filament to match my Red LTX.
I agree a little pricey for sure, nothing's cheap in this sport.

Thanks thebest! You’re welcome to visit anytime.

Is the mount on Thingiverse? I got whole roll of red filament to match my Red LTX

Developing such a product is quite demanding time and resources wise. The price is, of course, determined by these investments and hardware costs of the product itself. We believe it’s a pretty good package for the money when you consider all available functionalities. Also, the feedback we had from beta testers and potential customers to whom we showed the product shows that there is a market for high-end instrumentation.

All support related hardware iterations were designed and printed in house before testing on our sleds until we reached the desired fit. The drawings are not available online.

We haven’t had issues with water or snow, at least nothing that a quick wipe with a tissue could not fix. Of course, we did not experience 8’ seas lol

Back