• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Did you guys see the new Cat Catalyst?

Yamaha is invested in electric sleds but only for utility...they know the electric market is a sliding nightmare... if you have not noticed they are all on the race to beat the 998!!!best part of it is yamaha will just wait till they get close to them then BAM!!!let's turn it up to 240hp on the same muffler at no cost and force them to the 4 stroke market to compete....DONT FOOL YOURSELF GUYS ALL CHASSIS HAVE BEEN MASTERED AND THERE ALL GOOD!!!! LOWERING the center of gravity like on the SRX is what's missing..with all the chassis mastered it's all in the engine now..let the engine wars begin and yamaha will always come out on top
Right on! The belt drive is a step forward in chassis development as is lower suspension. HP for the taking. Hydraulic bumpstops revolutionized Pro Offroad trucks allowing them to be lower than stock trucks but with massive travel. Livewire and the IQS system is not even close to being fully utilized by Cat and Yamaha. Cat owns their system not Fox. A shame in my opinion. The technology could be used exactly like a Hydraulic bumpstop very easily with a laptop and sensors or go old school eliminating the wires and ecu and use Needle like Walker Evans or Ohlins with second shock piston. That is the future as soon as the SX wannabees realize that trail riding is not SX. A lot to look forward too!

I didn't know IQS system was proprietary to AC and not Fox's. That is very interesting. I think the semi-active suspension on the Doo is outsourced from KYB.

I didn't know IQS system was proprietary to AC and not Fox's. That is very interesting. I think the semi-active suspension on the Doo is outsourced from KYB.
Yup Cats system is all theirs. At least the programming. They bought it from FOX. I think its even a Cat sourced ecu to run it. I think it was a mistake since FOX is way better equipped to program it than Cat is. Look at the Honda UTV. Thats all FOX. Amazing system. Even has a panic/Oh Sheet Button. Full dampening in a millisecond with a button press. Sensors at each wheel and Gyro. No need for a swaybar even.

Yup Cats system is all theirs. At least the programming. They bought it from FOX. I think its even a Cat sourced ecu to run it. I think it was a mistake since FOX is way better equipped to program it than Cat is. Look at the Honda UTV. Thats all FOX. Amazing system. Even has a panic/Oh Sheet Button. Full dampening in a millisecond with a button press. Sensors at each wheel and Gyro. No need for a swaybar even.

The programming in this case however is minimal. Its just to set the targets for the adjustment motors. I wish they had just kept the buttons as its far more tactile of an approach to settings (knowing what setting you are in and what setting you are switching to without looking down).

The programming in this case however is minimal. Its just to set the targets for the adjustment motors. I wish they had just kept the buttons as its far more tactile of an approach to settings (knowing what setting you are in and what setting you are switching to without looking down).
At least a oh sheet button would be really helpful!

There is a picture on the wall in Hartford, CT of Teddy Rosevelt riding downtown in an electric car in 1903!
So it's not really new technology.
The fact that people are trying new things is NOT a bad thing. Can't stop Technology. Gonna happen.
When we get to the point like the Stallone movie "Demolition Man"...........................................................then we have a problem

P.S:
Remember when Stallone was 'Da Man?

Back to Catalyst:
If this Joint Venture is actually going to continue, there must be some sort of plan for the 4-Stroke to fit into something new soon.
It may be a wider Catalyst with a chain case.
Kinda like DOO did with the G4 & the G4 Wide(4-Stroke)

OR

Yamaha keeps the Pro-Cross chassis & just refines it over the next millennium.

Back to Catalyst:
If this Joint Venture is actually going to continue, there must be some sort of plan for the 4-Stroke to fit into something new soon.
It may be a wider Catalyst with a chain case.
Kinda like DOO did with the G4 & the G4 Wide(4-Stroke)

OR

Yamaha keeps the Pro-Cross chassis & just refines it over the next millennium.
Yamaha is pretty tight lipped about their direction, thinking Yamaha will stay in the Pro Cross for a bit yet, once we get some good real world reviews on the Catalyst we might hear talk about a four stroke for it, they may look at a twin 4 stroke, Yamaha has that new twin 1000 in their new SXS, you may see that with a turbo on it in the Catalyst, just saying

Iqs is nothing special, the 2006 apex had dash adjustable rear suspension , the iqs just adds 2 motors on the front shocks.

Iqs is nothing special, the 2006 apex had dash adjustable rear suspension , the iqs just adds 2 motors on the front shocks.
Öhlins/Yamaha never took it to the next level like is possible with the IQS. Live Auto adjustment. Cat is dropping the ball since Doo did it.

Öhlins/Yamaha never took it to the next level like is possible with the IQS. Live Auto adjustment. Cat is dropping the ball since Doo did it.

If they would update IQS to dynamic roll control I would be happy with the current IQS. It only requires the addition and integration of an IMU and steering position which would most likely be possible with todays ECU (or they ECU they built for the IQS). Flight controllers for drones process way more sensors in very simple processors (and very cheap ones).

Back