• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Did you guys see the new Cat Catalyst?

See or Notice? I noticed :)
Nobody is going to see it inside the chassis, you are right, my point was about the demo bulkhead in the video.
Don't look at the wiring harness or zip ties then.
I wish cat would put more work into that part of assembly.

I like it. I am sure they will use the same steering mechanism with the wider bulkhead to accommodate the 4 stroke. Of course, it is probably already designed to accept the EPS unit. As long as I have owned Arctic Cats (since 1976), they all had a farm implement "build look" to them. As long as they are fast, handle, and ride well, I am happy. The Yamahas were always a better build quality (my first SRX was a 1976) especially compared to cat. No one really talked about build quality back in the day but there was no farm implement feel to the Yamahas. Once Yamaha put its name on Arctic Cats, they joined the farm implement club. As long and they are fast, handle and ride well, I am happy.

I found it rather interesting that they ditched the TCL, coupled design on the short track. That means no slide action front arm, as evident by the video.

I found it rather interesting that they ditched the TCL, coupled design on the short track. That means no slide action front arm, as evident by the video.
I think the longer front arm on the 129 does a better job of "coupling" the suspension without making it a wheelie machine than the old set up.

I think the longer front arm on the 129 does a better job of "coupling" the suspension without making it a wheelie machine than the old set up.

The longer front arm allows them to have finer control over suspension travel, that's what they stole from the XC designs. It will tend to wheelie less because any torque coming from the back has to push upward through a longer lever (harder to overcome). I think they said it right, its a tradeoff between good (flat) cornering and still somewhat playful. I wonder however why the 137 didn't get this attention.

The longer front arm allows them to have finer control over suspension travel, that's what they stole from the XC designs. It will tend to wheelie less because any torque coming from the back has to push upward through a longer lever (harder to overcome). I think they said it right, its a tradeoff between good (flat) cornering and still somewhat playful. I wonder however why the 137 didn't get this attention.
I am not sure why the first Catalyst didn't appear as an 850, as Cat is way overdue for a sled in that class. An 850 mountain Turbo also.

I am not sure why the first Catalyst didn't appear as an 850, as Cat is way overdue for a sled in that class. An 850 mountain Turbo also.
I heard it was all ready but some one pulled back at the last moment. Likely coming next year and with the new gauge.

After that they will probably release the 400cc blast powered cvt snowbike and clean up that market.

I like it. I am sure they will use the same steering mechanism with the wider bulkhead to accommodate the 4 stroke.
Unless Yamaha has a 4-stroke with intake and exhaust on the same side up their sleeve don't hold your breath.

Good point. It's always good to copy what works. They all use cats arm configuration. LOL

When I have looked at "patent" diagrams that were posted in the past, I thought they would be reinventing their skid frame design. Perhaps that is what's tap for the 137 in a year or two so they only made calibration adjustments for the Catalyst.

I think they needed to flush the 800's out of the system. That engine block don't work in the new chassis. The new 600 uses a new block. Probably the same block the 860 will use. We will also probably see two versions. One non turbo, one turbo. We will find out in about 11 months.

Good point. It's always good to copy what works. They all use cats arm configuration. LOL

When I have looked at "patent" diagrams that were posted in the past, I thought they would be reinventing their skid frame design. Perhaps that is what's tap for the 137 in a year or two so they only made calibration adjustments for the Catalyst.
About the only thing that is patented on rear suspensions is the rear section being patented. Polaris for external and ski Doo for internal progressive systems.

You would have thought that they would have picked a bulkhead with nicer quality welds as their demo unit.
Probably a prototype welded by lowly humans? May not have had the robotic fixtures ready yet? Robotic welds will be much better.

About the only thing that is patented on rear suspensions is the rear section being patented. Polaris for external and ski Doo for internal progressive systems.
Posted somewhere on this forum were drawings of cat skid frame submissions, one of which had a completely different front arm mechanism unlike anything I have ever seen. Maybe someone will be interested enough to search for it and repost it.

Posted somewhere on this forum were drawings of cat skid frame submissions, one of which had a completely different front arm mechanism unlike anything I have ever seen. Maybe someone will be interested enough to search for it and repost it.

Also looks like one of the weber guys is working at arctic cat now on the ATV engines

Wonder if cat will make a 9XX turbo twin to fit in the catalyst.

Back