• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

disappointed with yamaha & warranty coverage (resolved)

RTX

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 viper rtx
2006 apex rtx
Please read the bottom of this post
I have a buddy with a 2009 nytro.
the bolt that holds the upper aarm to the spindle came loose and fell out while he was riding. fortunately he did not get hurt.
this caused considerable damage to the spindle and some minor damage to the shock.
He has yes and his warranty claim was denied. To me ,this just does not seem right. Yamaha says he should have noticed the bolt was loose and tightened it himself. we check our rides every day and this bolt was absolutely tight before we started riding that day.
All he wants is a replacement spindle. He is even willing to pay the labor to get it changed and yamaha wont take care of him.
I did some searching on here and found that over 30 people in 7 different threads have had the same bolt loosen on them.
i am sickened by this. this absolutely NEVER EVER should happen on a steering component. its a piss poor design and an even porer response by yamaha. even articcat is smartenough to do a recall when it involves steering components. Is someone going to have to die for them to recognise they have a duty to thier customers to fix problematic products like this??
honestly my disgust with this situation is beyond words and it didnt even happen to me.
i told him to write to the cpsc but after reading everything i have read on this site i think i might just print it all out and contact the cpsc myself

on 3/29/12 woodys performance center contacted my friend shane to inform him that there had been some misunderstandings and they wanted to resolve the issue.
Woodys together with yamaha, proposed that they ship him a new/take off spindle that yamaha would provide. Apparently yamaha had some of these spindles kicking around at a warehouse. They are new parts that they removed from new sleds.
My friend is happy with the resolution and we will most likely go through the entire front end and install the new spindle this summer now that sledding season is over.
thanks to everyone on here for thier support.
Big thank you to yamaha for reading this and addressing it. Thanks to woodys for working with shane to get him the part, and thanks to MR Sled for making it all happen ;)! :Rockon:

bolt

My buddy bought a New Nytro and I remember that he had to bring the sled back to the Yamaha dealer because there was a recall on this bolt backing out and failing...Might try and go this route..saying you weren't told of recall and its the manufacturers fault...And regarding them to say. the reponsibility is upon you to make sure all bolts are tight..That is crap...

APEX 06 said:
I think there is a update for that bolt. But checking bolts is the owns jobs and keeping tight. I know it back out when riding.

you can disagree with me on this till the day we die, but in my opinion your 100% wrong.
we run skidoos with a similar design that have 3x the mileage and no steering bolts have come loose. if this was your car or motorcycle would you feel the same way. i dont think you would. in fact i think you would be demanding a recall. so why is it different, because its a sled?? i dont think so. what if a woman bought the sled. is she supposed to bring it to her mechanic before each ride for a check up.
over 30 people on this site alone have admitted to this happening to them and you dont think yamaha has a responsibility to fix it?
to me this never ever ever should happen. poor design, defective product, call it what you will. end of rant

Re: bolt

Newfie Apex said:
My buddy bought a New Nytro and I remember that he had to bring the sled back to the Yamaha dealer because there was a recall on this bolt backing out and failing...Might try and go this route..saying you weren't told of recall and its the manufacturers fault...And regarding them to say. the reponsibility is upon you to make sure all bolts are tight..That is crap...

my buddy had that recall done. it is the Bolt that mounts the top a arm through the frame/bulkhead.
while i do agree that it is the owners responsibility to be sure bolts are tight, that logic really doesnot apply here. you simply can not be expected to put a wrench on every bolt on the machine before you ride. it is just not logical. with that said we do visually check stuff and that bolt was tight 25 miles before we started. no one could possibly expect us to catch the bolt comming out in 25 miles.

If he hires a lawyer he'll get his sled fixed. His lawyer
paid and his #*$&@ kissed. He's a lay down saying all he
wants is the parts and they (his dealer and Yamaha)
know it.

And let me add, I hate friggin lawyers.

Well if the spindle is screwed up from the bolt coming loose then they should replace it don't know any recall on that bolt just the upper right a-arm bolt.

I would call yamaha maybe your dealer didn't put up a good case or may not have even called it in. It starts with the dealer. When my upper a-arm bolt came loose my dealer said it not a warranty part took to another dealer it was fixed. Then a month later got a letter on the bolt

You could also try another dealer

A bolt that has never been wrenched loose should never become loose on its own. That's a defect that should be repaired or replaced by the oem. Plain and simple.

I just bought a new motorcycle. Part of the owner's responsibility (per the manual) is to check the tightness on several specified nuts/bolts. I'm not sure if the Yamaha snowmobile manuals indicate to perform this, but to me, it's common sense to insure the tightness of critical components.

jf

I think a visual is all that should be recommended if bolts are properly Loctited and torqued.Many on our sleds are(not all) and tightening the bolts would defeat the whole purpose of the Loctite leading to more trouble than good since a bolt can loosen very fast even if properly torqued vs torque qnd proper Loctite job.So basicly if you touch a bolt with a wrench be prepared to completely remove,clean and Loctite it or leave it alone.

Let me get you guys on track here! The bolt for the upper a-arm connecting to a-arm to the subframe was a tech bulletin.....All machines were to be looked over and have the bolts replaced if needed.....Almost all dealers replaced the bolt, needed or not .... If this bolt is the bolt that goes to the top ball joint on the spindle there has never been a recall on it..... YES to a point everyone should keep an eye on the bolts ect.... But in saying that main bolts and nuts should not come loose unless they have been played with..... If the bolt that backed out was the recall bolt then you do have a leg to stand on (ONLY IF YOUR MACHINE HAS BEEN IN FOR SERVICE SINCE THE UPDATE HAD BEEN ANUONCED) A recall is no good if the machine never went into the shop to get fixed sorry for the rant guys :drink:

Back