• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft bearing bracket

yamaha06

VIP Member
So I'm going to repack my jackshaft and drive shaft bearings. When I used to do my drive shaft bearing on my viper I would remove the entire brake caliper and disk. I would remove the three bolts on the inside of the tunnel and there is the bracket under the tunnel with a dust seal in it that kind of closes off the hole to the back of the bearing. Does anyone happen to have a picture of this bracket or able to take one? I haven't removed the bolts yet and was looking at the bracket and on my sidewinder it doesn't look like it seals off very tight to the tunnel there is like an 1/8" gap, on my viper it always sealed pretty tight to the tunnel. I was just curious if this is how it's supposed to be or if the dealer didn't push the bracket on far enough and just cranked down the bolts and called it a day when they did my track swap. I will post a picture of what mine looks like in the morning.

It's normal, mine was the same way. It doesn't lay flat and looks a bit distorted. I swapped out my track last season.

I don't think 1/8" is normal, mine is pretty flush from what I remember. It is a little distorted not making a perfect seal but not 1/8" gap all around.

Here is a pic of mine, it's a fairly big gap all around. Looks like it really wasn't pushed on all the way and then they tightened the bolts and it just bent the mounting locations in and left that 1/8" gap all around.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 437
I had to use a ratchet strap and suck the tunnel together to make the brackets line up. It's kind of a joke how it mounts up compared to previous Yamaha sleds....but minor in the whole picture. Rather have this sled than any of Yamahas past sleds.

Here is a pic of mine, it's a fairly big gap all around. Looks like it really wasn't pushed on all the way and then they tightened the bolts and it just bent the mounting locations in and left that 1/8" gap all around.
The three bolts hold the brake caliper/bearing holder to the tunnel but the thing that really matters is the circlip at both ends that hold the driveshaft in place.

The three bolts hold the brake caliper/bearing holder to the tunnel but the thing that really matters is the circlip at both ends that hold the driveshaft in place.

Ya I have both the circlips in. I just didn't like how that bracket had that much of a gap, my viper one sealed off fairly tight to the tunnel. With this much of a gap there will be a lot of snow and stuff getting up in there around the bearing.

That does not look right.

That does not look right... I don't recall if it mounts best in a certain position. When you go to reinstall it spin it around a few times for best fit, try to flatten it out first it's not that heavy of a gauge metal and its easy to bend back flat.

I felt the same way when I swapped out my track but that's the way it is. I did try to move it around and I made sure I tightened it up evenly so it wouldn't distort but no luck. I will go out later and try to get a pic of mine so we can compare.

You can see yours is just not on all the way. As long as spring is still on seal should be able to straighten it out without taking it all apart. Just the bolts.

You can see yours is just not on all the way. As long as spring is still on seal should be able to straighten it out without taking it all apart. Just the bolts.

Ya I'm sure the spring is still in the seal. It definitely doesn't look like it's pushed on all the way, the worst thing is they tightened those three bolts and bent the mounting locations on the bracket in tight to the tunnel. So I might have to removed those bolts and try to bend those tabs or something. Definitely not ripping the whole sled apart to replace that bracket

Ya I'm sure the spring is still in the seal. It definitely doesn't look like it's pushed on all the way, the worst thing is they tightened those three bolts and bent the mounting locations on the bracket in tight to the tunnel. So I might have to removed those bolts and try to bend those tabs or something. Definitely not ripping the whole sled apart to replace that bracket
Right. It’s pretty thin so should bend back pretty easy. That is just protection for the bearing. Won’t have to be perfect.

Back