• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft ring groove gone

WVTurboLTX

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Hedgesville, WV (ride in Deep Creek, Maryland)
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro XTX
2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
Has anyone seen this happen? The ring groove wore out on the drive shaft by the disk. First pic is if I ratchet strap the shaft in that direction. Second is how it sits with nothing pulling it.

Never saw it that bad but its obvious the clip gets pushed out since burr forms and thats what makes disc a bugger to get off. Some have to use a strap from board to board to even see the groove. I never have had to. So some tunnels are obviously not bent square. Another issue is the caliper gets grooves from pads in it. If pad gets hung up when brake is applied something has to move. Have warranty? If so you know what to do.

Maybe shaft moved in chain chase as well . so need to check chain case to see if there's any damage in there.

OK , but if clip moved or came off would that make the shaft float and move in chain chase?
The bearings are there with shoulder on driveshaft both sides so no. Clip just keeps disc in place on brake side and gear on case side..

I wouldn't replace the shaft. I would either cut a deep groove for a new retainer clip or weld a threaded insert in the end of the shaft to use a washer and shims to hold it in place. I made a insert to hold a speedo gear to the end of the shaft in my Hybrid Viper build. I'd think the same idea could be used here.

IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG

My shaft showing same wear.

20171128_054054~2.jpg

20171128_103255png.png
What do you think guys about removing some mm from the disc? More space to the clip.

Last edited:
I thought about that too! I think not needed but thats a very personal call. Cant think of a worst case scenario.
I'm worried about it putting stress on the clip that holds the lower bearing in the chain case. Dealer is selling me a new shaft at cost so I'm just going to replace it this time. If it happens again I'll come up with something better.

Back