• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine cranks but only backfires, no start

Tknutson58k

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sr viper
Phazer Gt
So I got my '07 GT back that I used to own and the previous owner left it outside and some mice got in the air box and what looks to be piss in the throttle body the engine cranks but only backfires every now and then the plugs are firing so the coils seem to be good but after cranking for a bit it develops a quite a bit of pressure coming out of the breather so is a ring stuck or a valve not closing or what could be the remedy. The battery is brand new also.

i would bet on a stuck valve.

Must be on the exhaust side then, all 6 intake valves open and close. It's got me puzzled as hell. Does anybody know what codes can be on but the engine still start like the intake air temperature and intake pressure sensors are disconnected but it didn't start with them on either

Hey Cannondale good to see you're still around these parts! So last night I took the valve cover off and all the tappets appear to be soaked in oil and moving free. I can shoot starting fluid down the throttle bodies and it doesn't do a thing. Can you actually compression test these with the auto decompression, I'm wondering if that's what I'm hearing coming out of the breather

Hey Cannondale good to see you're still around these parts! So last night I took the valve cover off and all the tappets appear to be soaked in oil and moving free. I can shoot starting fluid down the throttle bodies and it doesn't do a thing. Can you actually compression test these with the auto decompression, I'm wondering if that's what I'm hearing coming out of the breather
Yes you still can. For this all you really need to know is if there is enough to fire it. Just remove plugs and put your thumb over the hole crank engine.

I am always lurking here. Still have my Phazer!

Do you think it's possibly just really old bad gas... It has like a fog of unburnt fuel coming out the pipe along with blue flames.. every time I pull the tank off and take the plugs out they are pretty much dried not soaked by any means Even the plugs that were in it when I got it back still fired super good

Also the injectors click like they should but how does a person know if they are actually letting fuel into the throttle bodies

Maybe put a little atf down each cylinder overnight and then try it. Can’t hurt if your looking at a tear down anyway.

Thanks guys ill take the tank off to check compression, and a little atf can't hurt, I just don't understand why I have so much breather pressure. If I plug the breather tube with my finger I can hear air/oil bubbling in the oil tank and it literally comes out of the top if I have the full plug out.

The rings should be at static pressure against the cylinder walls when it would have gotten stuck so I don't get how that's literally keeping it from re starting

Back