• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine cranks but only backfires, no start

The rings should be at static pressure against the cylinder walls when it would have gotten stuck so I don't get how that's literally keeping it from re starting
What can happen is the ring which is Iron gets rusted and sticks in Piston so it wont seal on cylinder. If you check compression BEFORE adding ATF and its low then goes way up when ATF is added thats your problem. Mouse Pee is really corrosive.

That does make sense, would atf be the best? I've tried a shot of pentro and kroil but maybe wasn't enough or I didn't let it soak long enough. This is a real bummer because last time I saw it the thing ran amazing

Before coming to any conclusions compression test it even with just your finger. Dont even need a gauge. And yes IF you find that its a stuck ring ATF is the best I know of. It provides lube and penetration to free it up. Dont pour anything in there till basics are done though. Compression is one of the basics. Wont run without it.

Also dont ever turn the engine over with ATF in the cylinder and plug in other than by hand. Bad for rods and bearings. Need to crank it after soaking for a few days with plugs out.

I have it soaking with atf now after checking that both cylinders did have compression with a tight push with my thumb if I do have a stuck ring when I take the crank drain bolt out it should have transmission fluid coming out I'm assuming right? Is it possible that the decompression system is somehow just bypassing all pressure

It only takes 85-90psi to run. So move on to next thing. If it blew your thumb off compression is not the problem.
Looks like you have covered all the basics other than timing.

What would it take for the timing chain to actually jump? When I had the valve cover off it did look like there was a set of slashes and dots that seemed to line up similar. Before I poured the ATF in I put a small amount of two-stroke oil in each throttle body in it damn near started

Ok well that’s progress. How forcefully did your thumb feel compression? It should literally blow your thumb off the hole.

Oh yeah it basically did..I think I made too good of a seal haha

You don't need to drain the oil before trying to start it. Just crank it over with the spark plugs out till nothing comes out. Once you get it running change the oil and do a complete service. I know cannondale already said that, but it's good to be clear. Just listen to cannondale he knows what he's talking about

No doubt he does, I'm just afraid it's timing related but I keep coming back to the stuck ring because where else could the pressure be getting onto the crankcase

Hey cannon, just getting back to working on this after getting busy this spring. I solved both cylinders in ATF for basically a month and it still is doing the exact same thing backfires every now and then with air pressure coming out of the breather. Really not looking forward to pulling the engine and taking it to the shop

Were there any codes before you took it all apart?
It had a code for those intake pressure sensors but even with the intake and those disconnected completely it still does the same thing just backfires once in awhile

Back