• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EVO Flash & Hurricane Turbo

Joshua

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha Sidewinder BTX LE 50TH
So as many of you know I have hurricane 190 kit on my 15 Viper XTX. I absolutely thing it's the best kit out there. Dave has been the best to deal with all my questions. Not once have I read any issues with this kit. It's bullet proof. BUT my sled idea like #*$&@ and has a bad hot start issue. Very embarrassing amount a group of Polaris and BRP people. Now I know Hurricane kit has nothing to do with these issues, but I have been reading alot here that EVO has mastered a ECU flash that make this thing idea and fix the shitty hot start issue. My question is will this flash effect Hurricane PCV tune and mess up my turbo setup. I do not want to send alot of money for the EVO flash and then turn around and have to send a load more just for a new tune for my PCV. Can somebody help me out with this?

Ask Dave.................

i talked to dave about this. he said with getting the flash and raising the rev limiter is good but retarding the timing will loose some power. he is not keen on the idea of raising boost either. EVO says you can raise 2 lbs with retarded timing. i did not ask about the PCV. don't know how evo does it. i have an email to him too. if you find any info out please let me know i am interested also. EVO is 499 u.s. for the high compression turbo flash and i am only 1.5 hrs from there shop. I'm still on the fence. you should do it soon and tell me how it is!

I'm not arguing but how can it cause a power loss? When EVO say it will generate more power. I have ask myself the same question about a 2lbs increase, it has always been said that 6-7 lbs is the most a stock fuel pump can handle when boosted. But I do believe the reason for the poor programin from Yamaha or Cat is the whole emissions thing, and EVO just came up with a good program without considering emissions. Oh and I personally think Yamaha will not be coming with a new flash this year. It's November 25 and still nothing, but i'm sure hope i'm wrong.

When I say will it mess up Hurricane tune, I mean the will the stock ECU still work in conjunction with the PCV once EVO has reprogram it

retarded timing allows for higher afr #s which allows higher boost on the same fuel thus more power. Evo claims 1.5 hp gain for every 100 rpm increased on the rev limiter. at the same boost. but changing timing alone will loose some power. the question is how much? and will the raising of the rev limiter overcome the losses at the same boost numbers. only a dyno will tell. test a sled like mine or yours set up now. do the flash without changing anything else and dyno again. i guess it doesn't matter who's kit just as long as the boost stayed the same. I'm not looking for any more power "yet" but would like to have everything run perfect. and start better.

I hear what your saying now. We need both Dave and EVO to chime in here and set thing straight before someone makes the move to get there ECU reprogram

Until Dave tests the reflash with his set up, I am staying away. I am leery of someone changing a set up that some else put a lot of work into---one that works great I might add. If Dave green lights it then I am on board.
I know the benefits are tempting though.......

Until Dave tests the reflash with his set up, I am staying away. I am leery of someone changing a set up that some else put a lot of work into---one that works great I might add. If Dave green lights it then I am on board.
I know the benefits are tempting though.......
i agree 100%

Guy's, I've been asked about the Evolution reflash many times. Here are my thoughts. We had a viper on the dyno the other day equipped with the hurricane 190 kit. The peak hp was 8700 rpm@193hp with the tune that comes in all the pcv's supplied with the 190 kit.i don't see the hp benefits of turning up the rev limiter with the stock header. We have also dynoed the Evolution header, boosted and the peak hp was around 9400rpm. I see a reflash is a benefit with that header. My concern about running the engine over the rev limiter with the current PCv map is that the engine efficiency will change above the stock rev limit affecting the PCv tune. I suspect that the PCv tune will go rich as the engine efficiency seems to go down over 8700 with stock header but it's untested with the hurricane 190 kit over 9200 rpm. I absolutely do not believe in retarding the timing in order to be able to turn up the boost on pump gas. I believe that the pump gas burns to violently and the stock head bolts won't like the extra cylinder pressure.i don't mean to sound so negative and I certain can appreciate the starting and idle benefits. It's my job to build a bullit proof turbo kit that makes good, advertised power.the hurricane turbo kits have been very successful and it's hard to make to many changes in tunes and boost levels, etc to add risk of engine failure. The day may come when I get the opportunity to do some testing to change my view. I would certainly talk about my view at the time if that happens.
Dave

I have asked Evo to weigh in on this with his thoughts. It is possible to have the LC flash done without timing. Having the rev limit increased doesn't mean you have to make full use of it, or any of it, but possibly use it to help control clutching with some headroom. The starting and idle improvements I wouldn't think would affect the rest of the factory base tune if timing hasn't been adjusted but I will let Jim speak to that.

Last edited:
Evo has great marketing but stock head bolts and rods will not like the extra boost in my opinion.

im not risking anything to have a better starts and a little cleaner idle. thanks for your input on this dave. i bought your kit because i felt it was the best bang for the buck and a quality product. and after having it and seeing the reliability of it and everyone that has your kit with ZERO problems besides the factory hot starts and rough idle, i will take your advice over anyone else. not saying their wrong. but its your kit, you test it, you stand behind it, 1800 miles on my sled boosted with zero issues, i take your advice. thanks again. your customer service and product is second to none.

im not risking anything to have a better starts and a little cleaner idle. thanks for your input on this dave. i bought your kit because i felt it was the best bang for the buck and a quality product. and after having it and seeing the reliability of it and everyone that has your kit with ZERO problems besides the factory hot starts and rough idle, i will take your advice over anyone else. not saying their wrong. but its your kit, you test it, you stand behind it, 1800 miles on my sled boosted with zero issues, i take your advice. thanks again. your customer service and product is second to none.

X2

Back