• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Muffler discoloration with tunes?

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
Saw this on a few sleds that had tunes, course it's the only ones that I have seen with tunes.

But when running a tune, wether it be stock muffler or aftermarket. Will tunes discolor the muffler and the chancase? I would expect they do due to the heat but I saw a 2022 that with a big tune and straight muffler having the chancase discolored.

I've seen PM that had some heat discoloration. SM have factory heat shields so they shouldn't show much.
PMs flow more (hold less heat?) but also are usually on systems w higher boost, higher HP, higher exhaust flow = more heat.
IMO, if chaincase is showing that much heat, I'd be concerned about not only chaincase temp (oil & all metal parts) but the engine oil temp too. Chaincase is mounted to oil tank. I bet engine oil temp is really high too. I'd be applying heat insulation to oil tank/chain case to keep some of that heat out if it was mine.

Saw this on a few sleds that had tunes, course it's the only ones that I have seen with tunes.

But when running a tune, wether it be stock muffler or aftermarket. Will tunes discolor the muffler and the chancase? I would expect they do due to the heat but I saw a 2022 that with a big tune and straight muffler having the chancase discolored.
All SS mufflers will turn colors once used.
I took the shields off my stock muffler and put them on a newTD SQ2. That new muffler was super shiny, mirror like before any use. Not anymore... but the stock shielding hides that discoloring!

Chaincase? No not on mine. Have had Ecotrail Smm, MS16 smm, and MS17 with TD SQ 2.5”.
Header tunes do seem to add some heat to the mufflers from what I’ve seen, so maybe. Or if you put a bare muffler on it!

All SS mufflers will turn colors once used.
I took the shields off my stock muffler and put them on a newTD SQ2. That new muffler was super shiny, mirror like before any use. Not anymore... but the stock shielding hides that discoloring!

Chaincase? No not on mine. Have had Ecotrail Smm, MS16 smm, and MS17 with TD SQ 2.5”.
Header tunes do seem to add some heat to the mufflers from what I’ve seen, so maybe. Or if you put a bare muffler on it!
Hi Dennis,what tune do you now run,the 16 or 17? How have you guys been.

Whatever you decide to do. You can always add high temp wrap, tape, etc. to help with engine bay temps. I just purchased 1/2" thick 1800° wrap for a muffler. Supposed to drop temps by 70°. Doesn't sound like a lot but every little bit helps.

I wouldn't wrap mufflers or headers myself. Had multiple sleds in here last season that ran header wrap on the exhaust and tank melting occurred..... Actually runs hotter than not wrapping at all. Don't believe what they tell you about wrap on the advertising dropping underwood temps. Its marketing BS!

Using the header wrap and you could smell the plastic melting! Took all the header wrap off threw it in the garbage and no more melting on same exhaust parts! And the header wrap crumbled like burnt dirt when taking it off too. Absolute crap on a turbo sled exhaust!

Stick on heat shielding however does help to protect the plastic.

I wouldn't wrap mufflers or headers myself. Had multiple sleds in here last season that ran header wrap on the exhaust and tank melting occurred..... Actually runs hotter than not wrapping at all. Don't believe what they tell you about wrap on the advertising dropping underwood temps. Its marketing BS!

Using the header wrap and you could smell the plastic melting! Took all the header wrap off threw it in the garbage and no more melting on same exhaust parts! And the header wrap crumbled like burnt dirt when taking it off too. Absolute crap on a turbo sled exhaust!

Stick on heat shielding however does help to protect the plastic.
100% respect...the factory muffler is wrapped.
And certainly going to hold in more heat. Which is what it's designed to do.
I think...and it's just my opinion. Wrapping the header vs wrapping a muffler are (slightly) two differing scenarios.
I will try to wrap my muffler in a month or so. Who knows?!?!

Back