• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Feedback - 24/50 vs 21/41 gearing (Stock Tune Only)

putz21

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'23 Sidewinder LTX LE w/EPS
‘19 Sidewinder LTX SE
Looking for some feedback for those that have stock tune and using 24/50 gearing. I do 100% trail riding in Northern Wisconsin that consists of mainly tight twisties to some longer swooping corners. Lots of lakes, but very seldom do I ever open it wide open for long pulls due to the typical rough trail conditions across the lakes.

I don't think I'll ever tune it, so am looking for feedback for those that went from 21/41 to 24/50 or for those who's sled came stock with 24/50. From what I understand, the 24/50 should pull better from corner to corner which is mainly what I am looking for. For the very occasional time I do open it up, it's usually against ski-doo 800 or 900T so would still like to stay out ahead. :)

Please share your feedback.

For what it's worth ... I don't have a Sidewinder. But I had an MPI Turbo Viper RTX as my brother also did (same sleds). My brother geared his up to the XTX gearing (21/41) as most people do when adding a turbo to the Viper. I left mine at the stock 24/50. My brother's sled with the taller gearing definitely had more top end, and seemed to be more tame for normal trail riding as RPM dropped from when it was non-turbo. My sled with stock gearing didn't change at all with RPM, but seemed a lot more potent. I did increase top end with having more hp, but not much. I could get about 108 out of it with great conditions as I was just running out of gear. But even in poor conditions for speed runs, I could still get 100mph - easy. I'd expect your Sidewinder to have more being that you have the overdrive clutching.

In a straight up drag race against my brother's sled ... He would certainly run me down on the top end. But I certainly made it hard for him to run me down as I would jump 3 sleds ahead of him right away with the lower gearing.

I ran a lot of central/northern WI, and plenty of UP MI. I loved the 24/50 gearing. It was perfect for those trails and my riding style. My brother even switched his back to the lower gearing after riding mine.

Looking for some feedback for those that have stock tune and using 24/50 gearing. I do 100% trail riding in Northern Wisconsin that consists of mainly tight twisties to some longer swooping corners. Lots of lakes, but very seldom do I ever open it wide open for long pulls due to the typical rough trail conditions across the lakes.

I don't think I'll ever tune it, so am looking for feedback for those that went from 21/41 to 24/50 or for those who's sled came stock with 24/50. From what I understand, the 24/50 should pull better from corner to corner which is mainly what I am looking for. For the very occasional time I do open it up, it's usually against ski-doo 800 or 900T so would still like to stay out ahead. :)

Please share your feedback.
24/50 is my stock gearing, but I am installing a 48 bottom now.
I can GPS 113 on hard pack(I'm tuned) with the 8DN belt. Should be good for 115 with the 8JP

My trails are tight and i went with a 43 bottom and 88 link chain, 2.04 ratio compared to 2.08 for 24/50 and mine is a 19 so came with 35/39 reverse helix and i ran dalton springs, was very aggressive stock, just put in tunes but was happy with gears and reverse helix on stocker.

I wonder what kind of clutching changes one needs to make for 24/50? I ride tight twisties and am looking for more low end snap.

I always assumed I would do a tune and clutching to get it. Perhaps lower gearing and clutching would do the trick.

I wonder what kind of clutching changes one needs to make for 24/50? I ride tight twisties and am looking for more low end snap.

I always assumed I would do a tune and clutching to get it. Perhaps lower gearing and clutching would do the trick.
You can clutch to make up for what you lose in low end acceleration if gearing up or opposite but clutching is not needed for top rpm even with a drastic change it will stay the same unless shifted out.

I had dalton orange/black secondary at 80, 35/39 helix, blue/black primary with glide washers, with stock 19 weights it over revved to 91-9200 rpm needed 2 or 3 grams more in tip, but if you have a 17-18 the stock weights should be close they are already heavier, clutches ran very cool but i aligned with hurricane tool and added frogz skin to panel for more cooling this setup with gearing ran well.

So if I have stock R-TX SE gearing which I think is 21/41. On the MaxSpool16 SM I feel I could still use more low end, would 24/50 give me that? I'm going to rip the sled apart once season is officially over and want to update gearing then.

So if I have stock R-TX SE gearing which I think is 21/41. On the MaxSpool16 SM I feel I could still use more low end, would 24/50 give me that? I'm going to rip the sled apart once season is officially over and want to update gearing then.
Yes, lower gearing normally pulls harder through the bottom to mid speeds.

You can clutch to make up for what you lose in low end acceleration if gearing up or opposite but clutching is not needed for top rpm even with a drastic change it will stay the same unless shifted out.

So I can throw 24/50 in and leave the clutching the same?

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Looks like I may be going to 24/50 for next year. Glad I can keep the clutching the stock as well. Think this setup will be nice with the stock 35/39 stock reverse helix.

Please post if the 24t gear has oil holes already in it, and the part #. Thanks

Just rode with a bud who has a brand new stock Cat RR for 2 days. Swapped a few times, and I must say the stock Cat with 24/50 gearing and TEAM clutches really works well corner to corner! Its been along time since mine was stock, but I never thought the stock Winder setup had nearly enough snap for corner to corner trails here, so I run the 270 tune always and its an animal now, but stock I feel the Cats really work quite well!

Makes me wonder how crazy snappy 24/50 would be corner to corner with 270++ tune!!! Team definitely does not grab the belt as hard down at very bottom, like our YAM primary does, but the TEAM compression secondary does have MORE engine braking then our torsional secondary which I love.

Dan

Back