• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fixed my a-arm bushing issue

EJT

Hey every one, I have been reading about all the issues that some of you have had with the front a-arm bushings, so I decided to do some thing about it on my sled. I think that getting diffrent bushings is a good idea, but it does not fix the problem. I think the real fix is to put grease fittings on the sled. So I put some on my sled. Here are some pics. let me know what you think.
Thanks
EJT :Rockon: ;)! :rocks:

Attachments

• fitting on bottom of shock.jpg
    fitting on bottom of shock.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 115
  • fitting on top of shock.jpg
    fitting on top of shock.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 116
  • fittings on bottom of a-arms.jpg
    fittings on bottom of a-arms.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 130
  • fittings on spindel.jpg
    fittings on spindel.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 127
  • fittings on top of a-arms.jpg
    fittings on top of a-arms.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 117

Very nice work! I would like to know how this works out for you. Keep us updated!
My only concern is on the a arms. Seems like they had some problems bending in their original configuration, and I wonder if drilling them might compromise them?

I did the the exact same thing on my 04 warrior and it worked great.
I'm going to put them on my Attak this summer.
I don't know why they don't do this from the factory

guardrail said:
How many miles did you ride before you had to replace your bushings on your 04 with the grease fittings in?

I also did this.. Not as many zerts though..

They wouldnt wear out so fast if they were brass bushings like had has had on there sleds for years

EJT said:
guardrail said:
How many miles did you ride before you had to replace your bushings on your 04 with the grease fittings in?

I never changed them again. I put around 2500 miles on them before I got my new sled

You just need to drill a hole and tap it the same thread style and size as the grease fitting... It shouldn't be hard at all. Just tedious. Oh good work EJT... nice attention to detail..

If you just drill a small hole approx. 1/16" and use a needle greaser there is no need for the grease nipple. I did this on my 01sxr and it still has all the factory original bushing at 15,000 km.

The Snow D.O. said:
I've never put Zerks in. How difficult is it to put them in? Do you need any special equipment? Specific zerks? Any information is greatly appreciated. Can anyone give a brief lesson?

Thanks

Todd
Here Is how I did it , and what I used.
I first used a #2 center drill to start the hole,
then I used a #13 drill to drill the hole,
then I used a chamfering tool to put a small chamfer on the hole so the tap would start easier and strait,
then I used a 1/4-28 tap, to tap the hole out.
then put the grease fitting in and your done.
If you cant get a #13 drill a 7/32 will also work.
where in NY do you live, I lived in Ballston Spa for a while.
Hope this helps,
EJT

EJT send a how to, too Yamaha headquarters. Nice work would be great if Yamaha could do this at factory and I bet your zerts don't leak at the threads either.

Very nice, but 1 little problem if you didn't plug the holes in the front "A" arms at the bulk head you will fill all of the arms before getting grease to back out at the bushings at the bulkhead.

I'm talking by experience when we did my buddies sled, we kept pumping grease and nothing was coming out at the bushings, took the arms back out to check to find out about HOLES right behind the bushings! connecting to arms going to spindle.

It will work once you FILL the entire arms of GREASE!

RX1-er-2005 said:
Very nice, but 1 little problem if you didn't plug the holes in the front "A" arms at the bulk head you will fill all of the arms before getting grease to back out at the bushings at the bulkhead.

I'm talking by experience when we did my buddies sled, we kept pumping grease and nothing was coming out at the bushings, took the arms back out to check to find out about HOLES right behind the bushings! connecting to arms going to spindle.

It will work once you FILL the entire arms of GREASE!
Yes I did see that, and I used expanda foam to plug the holes,
Sorry that I didnt mention that. :o|

Attachments

• Indy's 03.jpg
    Indy's 03.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 89
EJT, that is some mighty fine workmanship! I will be looking to schedule my appointment with you asap. :Rockon:

Back