• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

flat spot on driven roller

I,m kinda surprised that companies like Dalton wouldn,t come up with a better, longer lasting set of better rollers ?

1 mile in the back field, pulled the secondary, notice the pic that doesn't have full roller mark, the roller is free floating and can spin by finger easily at rest! The other two rest on ramp can not spin and shows full roller mark. If I get time going to pull it apart and digitize helix angles,centers and rollers to find out what's the issue.View attachment 124720View attachment 124721
You are exactly right. Had mine apart several times to see what's up. Seventy miles on sled, 2 rollers touch, 1 does not. Took all rollers and pins out, measured them all, reassembled in different positions, still one roller not touching.Kept track of where they came out, inked helix and put back together in 3 different positions. The helix's are way, way, out of wack - causing them to bind on clutch post (like the old Volkswagen jacks). I have done some testing for Dalton Industries (Dale good friend) dating back to 1st RX1's. Dale sent me 2 prototype helix that I never got to run on snow, due to no snow! 1st one installed was YSR 39/35, ran on sled, all rollers touching, scrubs ink off all the way, 2nd helix YSR43/33 again all rollers touch, scrubs all the way. Hopefully we will have snow soon, so we can find out exactly what is going on. I have used Dalton's performance products for years. The quality of these products is the best in the industry. Factory ones look like they were made in a pottery shop. This may be the issue with blowing belts. We need snow for more testing!! John

I totally agree the stock cast helix is junk and most likely a issue with this secondary. Another thing I have always wondered with the torsional secondary is - it seems when you twist this spring and "load" it so to speak it seems uneven in the pressure on the helix. It's like it has more pull on one of the post/helix roller when you put it together. Not sure I'm saying this correctly BUT it seems like the rollers touching have a direct correlation to where the spring goes in the hole and is loaded more? I think the spring has a lot to do with what I'm trying to explain. It DOES NOT sit flush/level before you put helix onto it and twist. To me the spring should sit FLAT not angled or uneven in the spring pocket. So the helix has even pressure against the entire surface of top of spring/coil

I haven't blown a belt yet. But I did find something interesting. There is no shim on the shaft behind the secondary. So I checked the offset. Also noticed black marks on the fixed sheave but the moveable sheave is clean. When I checked offset it needs a 1 mm shim. Which was probably supposed to be there as like every viper or sidewinder I've taken apart has. Had to order shim washer. I think Yamaha need some quality control people at the cat assembly plant. I'm sure if I didn't find the it would lead to blown belts down the road. Lucky it's a BTX LE and I don't do wot runs or I'm sure I'd have blown the belt. I did notice unwanted heat in the secondary which made me dig to find why. I'll fix it and move on. By the way one roller has a flat spot. That will get addressed soon. That doesn't bother me as much as improper offset which kills belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't blown a belt yet. But I did find something interesting. There is no shim on the shaft behind the secondary. So I checked the offset. Also noticed black marks on the fixed sheave but the moveable sheave is clean. When I checked offset it needs a 1 mm shim. Which was probably supposed to be there as like every viper or sidewinder I've taken apart has. Had to order shim washer. I think Yamaha need some quality control people at the cat assembly plant. I'm sure if I didn't find the it would lead to blown belts down the road. Lucky it's a BTX LE and I don't do wot runs or I'm sure I'd have blown the belt. I did notice unwanted heat in the secondary which made me dig to find why. I'll fix it and move on. By the way one roller has a flat spot. That will get addressed soon. That doesn't bother me as much as improper offset which kills belts.

What the offset suppose to be? If your running a float secondary this is not relevant?? Also noticed this no shim behind secondary the first time I removed mine also
Thanks shag

finally, someone who is seeing what i saw, almost. when i had mine apart, there was only one washer, talked to a few folks, no one knows what should be there. the only fiche is for a mtx, but it shows two if i read it correctly. are there different specs between the different models? i also had black in primary, not secondary. haven't rode enough since clutch work to see whats up if that will return or cause heat there. even dealer doesn't know what should be there. viper and mtn fiche shows two 28x40. i ordered two this morning and the check valve that fell apart from online source. how do i check offset? i have adjuster now so no float and i don't want to blow belt and buy new side panels.

What the offset suppose to be? If your running a float secondary this is not relevant?? Also noticed this no shim behind secondary the first time I removed mine also
Thanks shag

Even with floating secondary you want the offset as close as possible, that way the secondary isn't trying to move sideways before is open far enough to move.

Here is the spec. From manual.
17c7e6d398436c914314e6ddbb316fc3.jpg

finally, someone who is seeing what i saw, almost. when i had mine apart, there was only one washer, talked to a few folks, no one knows what should be there. the only fiche is for a mtx, but it shows two if i read it correctly. are there different specs between the different models? i also had black in primary, not secondary. haven't rode enough since clutch work to see whats up if that will return or cause heat there. even dealer doesn't know what should be there. viper and mtn fiche shows two 28x40. i ordered two this morning and the check valve that fell apart from online source. how do i check offset? i have adjuster now so no float and i don't want to blow belt and buy new side panels.

Even with adjuster your secondary should float as soon as it opens.

Even with floating secondary you want the offset as close as possible, that way the secondary isn't trying to move sideways before is open far enough to move.

Here is the spec. From manual.
17c7e6d398436c914314e6ddbb316fc3.jpg

so back of primary straightedge, then measure from front of secondary to straightedge. those are the two washers i ordered.

Back