• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Frozen Steering

phazerfx500

Veteran
Was out ridin yesterday in about 2 feet of powder. Got home and let the sled sit for about an hour or so then jumped back on to go for a quick rip around the track and I could hardly steer left or right! Jacked up the front end to see what the problem was and noticed that the front steering was full of ice. Also noticed the rubber boots were both full of ice and had cracked open. Has anyone else had similar problems and if there is a fix for this? Thanks.

The only recall notice that I have received, and I bought the sled new last year was the recall about the nut on the steering linkage coming loose and/ or falling off. Still waiting on parts for that from the dealership.

Agreed with Cannondale27, find another dealer.

Following up on the recall, bulletin S2007-006, they are also "supposed" to do bulletin S2007-007 which addresses the snow entry issue as well as a couple other things while they have the sled apart doing 006.

Keep 'em honest.

Well, I got my sled back from the dealer this week.
Among other things, he installed the brackets that are supposed to stiffen the lower front engine cowling pieces, so that snow would not be able to "push" it's way in and eventually lock up the steering.

It didn't work...

I have had one oportunity to ride, and when I got home, the boots are totally full and there is a lot of ice in the engine compartment.

I am very disappointed, there is not a single garage or warm shop in Sleetmute AK(Pop. 63), so my machine won't be getting regular thaw outs...
:o|

I put the rad screen on this year and that seems to help quite a bit with the ice filling up the steering boots problem. I think most of that ice is from snow melting on the rad and running down into those boots and refreezing. I don't have a warm place to thaw mine out either so it can become a big problem. Topper

Back