• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro overheating

Turk said:
My 08 nytro overheated a few times(shut down twice); even with water wetter. My 09 xtx never ever overheated or had the light come on with 1/2 bottle of water wetter added.

did you dilute the anti freeze first?

Turk said:
My 08 nytro overheated a few times(shut down twice); even with water wetter. My 09 xtx never ever overheated or had the light come on with 1/2 bottle of water wetter added.

Same here...Only saw the light once on a hot (+7 celcius) day in April when I had to back out of a rabbit trail when a bank over a stream gave way and I couldn't cross. Must have backed up 200 feet before the light came on. Never diluted the antifreeze or add water wetter...ran it like I got it from the dealer.

Has anyone added full length heat exchangers to the tunnel....like the ones that Yamaha used to put on the underside of the running boards of the SRXs and other machines

Before spending a dime i would set up a fan to blow into the radiator and maybe use some cardboard to focus the air better... then check the outlet vents for good air flow.

my guess is venting isnt the problem tho.

overheating

Im working on installing a3 inch bilage blower to blow cool air into the radiator , the bilage fan will be wired into a fused toggle switch, so i can turn it off or on when i choose, I will try to post some pics of the set up when Im finished, to show the mounting location and hose routing... I have done this for years on my atvs by installing the marine bilage blowers adds extra circulation on those hot days. :Rockon:

I'm just curious if any that has been having heat up problems has experimented with colder heat range plugs. I will be trying the CR10EKs in my Nytro. I had them in my Apex and they worked great. In theory, a colder plug should conduct more heat away. This should lead to lower temps. Just a theory.

I would do that just to get ride of that stupid ice!!! Where do I sign up

berge75 said:
Did anyone notice that the Yamaha race sleds are using collant filled tunnel protectors? I bet that would be the hot set up for getting rid of the ice build-up in the tunnel, plus would help with the running temp also.

SpecRTX said:
I'm just curious if any that has been having heat up problems has experimented with colder heat range plugs. I will be trying the CR10EKs in my Nytro. I had them in my Apex and they worked great. In theory, a colder plug should conduct more heat away. This should lead to lower temps. Just a theory.

A few problems with that theory.
1) spark plug heat ranges do not change engine temperature
2) a hotter plug has a relatively longer insulator (more insulator exposed to combustion heat so the tip of the plug stays hotter)
3) a colder plug has a shorter insulator so it can't absorb as much combustion heat (the oposite of your theory).
4) Even if your threory was correct, where exactly would the colder plug conduct the heat to? It's only contact with the engine is through the threads, so it would move the heat from the combustion chamber to the cylinder head - and that just moves heat from one place to another within the same hot engine.

I have a 2010 xtx that overheats when idling. Are any of you experiencing a temp light while idling for "long" periods (3-5 mins)? It goes off when I get the sled moving a bit... Its not a huge deal but I like to use the headlight at night to help me start fires, check flags while icefishing. Kind of a pain to keep having to move the sled around to keep the sled cool. Is this just the way it is? I have not tried anything but was thinking of checking coolant strengh first but have no experience... Dont wanna go to the stealership they are not real receptive to the problem told me to find snow. This is my first sled btw. Thanks in advance.

I think it's the nature of the beast with the Yammies, long idling times will cause the light to come on. You'd be better off with the MTX cooler, but likely it will still overheat.

I think there is trick to getting the headlights to come on without firing up your sled, but I can't remember what that trick was. Try a search on it. I guess the downfall here is that you may run down the battery and risk not being able to fire up your sled.

Re: overheating

rough rider said:
Im working on installing a3 inch bilage blower to blow cool air into the radiator , the bilage fan will be wired into a fused toggle switch, so i can turn it off or on when i choose, I will try to post some pics of the set up when Im finished, to show the mounting location and hose routing... I have done this for years on my atvs by installing the marine bilage blowers adds extra circulation on those hot days. :Rockon:

add some moflow vents....(tell him steve sent you)...install a lower temp thermostat (mountain performance) ...dilute coolant with distilled water to proper ratio for temp desired....add water wetter and and a mtx cooler and that should cover it...you can also add some ski ice scratchers...

remember the ice in/on your tunnel is heat exchanger coolant that never made it there!

NMainiac said:
I have a 2010 xtx that overheats when idling. Are any of you experiencing a temp light while idling for "long" periods (3-5 mins)? It goes off when I get the sled moving a bit... Its not a huge deal but I like to use the headlight at night to help me start fires, check flags while icefishing. Kind of a pain to keep having to move the sled around to keep the sled cool. Is this just the way it is? I have not tried anything but was thinking of checking coolant strengh first but have no experience... Dont wanna go to the stealership they are not real receptive to the problem told me to find snow. This is my first sled btw. Thanks in advance.

I think you would see a benifit to wiring a switch to you fan. The fan does a decent job of maintaining temp, it just can't reduce it much. If you really get ahead do the switch with the mesh hood. For example, take your hood off and idle the sled. Since I have a temp gauge I can actually see the temp drop when the fan runs.

i have an 09 xtx, never had a problem overheating. when i got it brand new, i noticed it was kind of low on coolant. so i added about 1/2 quart polaris 60/40 mix. super low snow conditions and i've never had it overheat. By far the best cooling system

Back