• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Goodbye Yamaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for your honest real world post Mr V, sorry for your financial loss and totally losing your faith in Yamaha, you were a dam good customer for 34 years, you are not alone many others are making this same decision with the brand shift from the painted Cats, glad you didn't down play your situation like many others do and still do, you will be bashed of course thinking your a troll trying to tarnish the Winder, I wish you the best on your new machine whatever the brand, I would interested to see what you pick for your next machine if it wouldn't be to much trouble, thanks

Thank you for your honest real world post Mr V, sorry for your financial loss and totally losing your faith in Yamaha, you were a dam good customer for 34 years, you are not alone many others are making this same decision with the brand shift from the painted Cats, glad you didn't down play your situation like many others do and still do, you will be bashed of course thinking your a troll trying to tarnish the Winder, I wish you the best on your new machine whatever the brand, I would interested to see what you pick for your next machine if it wouldn't be to much trouble, thanks
What took you so long....? :cool:

565888E1-D4B9-4D7E-983E-7301E50083C8.png
What changed between this post and now? Did the socket seize up again?

I have been a faithful Yamaha snowmobile customer for over 34 years. Their attention to detail, quality and reliability were second to none. I’ve owned 14 Yamaha sleds over the years and enjoyed every minute of it until now. Three of my 2 strokes went past 25,000 km with not one of them ever being re-built. I usually average 5000 km per winter, once hitting 6600 km. I am a serious sledder who is meticulous about maintenance and has always tried to stay current.

People ask if Yamaha will continue to build snowmobiles, I’m afraid they’ve already exited the market. Their union with Arctic Cat has produced vehicles that have left me aghast. In no way do I fault Arctic Cat for any issues, Yamaha put their name on sub standard equipment so the blame falls squarely on their shoulders. They simply should have exited the business and sold engines to whoever wanted them.

My 2018 Yamaha Sidewinder has been the most disappointing and unreliable machine/vehicle I’ve ever owned. Yes it goes fast, it goes very fast. I’ve put over 14,500 km on it. I’ve tolerated all the prior Yamaha heavy weights but this one is over the top. Handling issues out of the gate necessitated a change of skis and thousands of km’s of fiddling with the suspension to get it dialed in to the best possible handling outcome. This website proved invaluable for assistance. I’ve had 3 tendons on each shoulder surgically reattached due to separate accidents. I can do 50 push ups, shovel dirt or split wood all day, ride my dirt bike, carry whatever I need to etc etc. The only thing that hurts my shoulders is driving this machine. Day 2 my shoulders actually throb like after my surgeries. I feel like it's an all day wrestling match. I’ve found myself consciously avoiding tight twisty trails on this snow plow. Yamaha’s addition of power steering for 2022 clearly demonstrates there is a problem. More weight!

Then there is the whole issue of quality and reliability.

-Steering shaft seized at ball and not lubricated from factory. When shaft female socket heated up from engine you could steer. This was a strange one
-Major side to side play in steering shaft collar below bars.
-Clutch rollers that seize up regularly despite annual disassembly and cleaning of clutch and all components.
-Fuel pump relays that continue to freeze despite same issue being present on both prior versions of the Apex (which I owned).
-Limiter straps that both needed replacement for some unknown reason. Perhaps the endless fiddling to try and dial in suspension.
-Belt blowing issues that appeared at 8,000 km. Luckily being forewarned about this issue I had fabricated a belly pan protector
-Taking top gears out of the chain case twice, now dealers suggesting annual replacement.
-Bearing tolerances so poor that the drive axle spins within the inner race. My axle had to be cut in half for removal it was so badly damaged. All needed replacement
-Fasteners and rivets all over sled corroding due to poor quality. At time of Arctic cat union a dealer commented better fasteners used on old Yamaha crates than new snowmobiles.
-Chain case maintenance system designed by someone who never had to perform it. Unable to remove any filings without complete disassembly.
-Instrument cluster had to be removed and backing pads installed to stop vibration and movement..
-Ignition switch that is now spinning in a stripped plastic lock nut. I’ve never once touched this assembly.
-Oil tank blowouts requiring a roll over valve bypass.
-Dirt and debris that continually runs down the sides of the tunnel from plastic items all rubbing and wearing.
-Decals that have all become de laminated on the tunnel with clear protective covers peeling off them and flapping.
-Tail light that wiggles because rivets have all come loose.
-Windshield that cracked simply due to vibration.
-Excessive price.

My patience hit the end of the road with this machine, I actually grew to hate the machine and all the BS associated with it. I became afraid to drive it as something always went wrong. Machine is now sold and off to a new home.

I will still be an avid sledder, however it will now be on a different brand. Perhaps my most upsetting issue is leaving my long time dealer of 34 years with whom I have had a fantastic relationship and stellar service.

Good bye Yamaha.
So sad to hear your issues ,but they are very true . Best of luck to your new ventures. May the grass be greener on the other side of the fence .

I have been a faithful Yamaha snowmobile customer for over 34 years. Their attention to detail, quality and reliability were second to none. I’ve owned 14 Yamaha sleds over the years and enjoyed every minute of it until now. Three of my 2 strokes went past 25,000 km with not one of them ever being re-built. I usually average 5000 km per winter, once hitting 6600 km. I am a serious sledder who is meticulous about maintenance and has always tried to stay current.

People ask if Yamaha will continue to build snowmobiles, I’m afraid they’ve already exited the market. Their union with Arctic Cat has produced vehicles that have left me aghast. In no way do I fault Arctic Cat for any issues, Yamaha put their name on sub standard equipment so the blame falls squarely on their shoulders. They simply should have exited the business and sold engines to whoever wanted them.

My 2018 Yamaha Sidewinder has been the most disappointing and unreliable machine/vehicle I’ve ever owned. Yes it goes fast, it goes very fast. I’ve put over 14,500 km on it. I’ve tolerated all the prior Yamaha heavy weights but this one is over the top. Handling issues out of the gate necessitated a change of skis and thousands of km’s of fiddling with the suspension to get it dialed in to the best possible handling outcome. This website proved invaluable for assistance. I’ve had 3 tendons on each shoulder surgically reattached due to separate accidents. I can do 50 push ups, shovel dirt or split wood all day, ride my dirt bike, carry whatever I need to etc etc. The only thing that hurts my shoulders is driving this machine. Day 2 my shoulders actually throb like after my surgeries. I feel like it's an all day wrestling match. I’ve found myself consciously avoiding tight twisty trails on this snow plow. Yamaha’s addition of power steering for 2022 clearly demonstrates there is a problem. More weight!

Then there is the whole issue of quality and reliability.

-Steering shaft seized at ball and not lubricated from factory. When shaft female socket heated up from engine you could steer. This was a strange one
-Major side to side play in steering shaft collar below bars.
-Clutch rollers that seize up regularly despite annual disassembly and cleaning of clutch and all components.
-Fuel pump relays that continue to freeze despite same issue being present on both prior versions of the Apex (which I owned).
-Limiter straps that both needed replacement for some unknown reason. Perhaps the endless fiddling to try and dial in suspension.
-Belt blowing issues that appeared at 8,000 km. Luckily being forewarned about this issue I had fabricated a belly pan protector
-Taking top gears out of the chain case twice, now dealers suggesting annual replacement.
-Bearing tolerances so poor that the drive axle spins within the inner race. My axle had to be cut in half for removal it was so badly damaged. All needed replacement
-Fasteners and rivets all over sled corroding due to poor quality. At time of Arctic cat union a dealer commented better fasteners used on old Yamaha crates than new snowmobiles.
-Chain case maintenance system designed by someone who never had to perform it. Unable to remove any filings without complete disassembly.
-Instrument cluster had to be removed and backing pads installed to stop vibration and movement..
-Ignition switch that is now spinning in a stripped plastic lock nut. I’ve never once touched this assembly.
-Oil tank blowouts requiring a roll over valve bypass.
-Dirt and debris that continually runs down the sides of the tunnel from plastic items all rubbing and wearing.
-Decals that have all become de laminated on the tunnel with clear protective covers peeling off them and flapping.
-Tail light that wiggles because rivets have all come loose.
-Windshield that cracked simply due to vibration.
-Excessive price.

My patience hit the end of the road with this machine, I actually grew to hate the machine and all the BS associated with it. I became afraid to drive it as something always went wrong. Machine is now sold and off to a new home.

I will still be an avid sledder, however it will now be on a different brand. Perhaps my most upsetting issue is leaving my long time dealer of 34 years with whom I have had a fantastic relationship and stellar service.

Good bye Yamaha.
that's allot of problems to have with a sled. I added power steering on my 2020 and my tendonitis does not have flare-ups from riding...but the rest of the problems with your sled had to be a headache...I'd do the same. Joe

The winder is not for everyone, and I think you've reached a point in your life where this model no longer works for you. Such is life.

As bad as the winder is, when comparing the totality of characteristics, such as power, speed, handlng, ride, comfort, and being the king of your group, it is the best thing on snow. You will soon learn that the other manufacturers are not exempt from issues.

Dont go away mad, just go away.

you are not alone many others are making this same decision with the brand shift from the painted Cats
Not really, they sold more sleds this than they have in many years.
I would say more people are buying Yamaha sleds than they where pre 2014. Especially in recent years......

The winder needs some work to make it reliable, some people just can't or don't know how to get it to where it needs to be.

I know there is not another machine on the market I'd get rid of the winder for at the moment.

The winder needs some work to make it reliable, some people just can't or don't know how to get it to where it needs to be.

I know there is not another machine on the market I'd get rid of the winder for at the moment.

Exactly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back