• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How do you haul your sleds?

craze1cars said:
Triton 10 foot tilt clamshell for two, and the 3rd rides in the back of the truck, loaded via tri-fold aluminum ramp which is stored on a home-welded "ladder rack" in the truck's stake pockets. Truck is a 03 Chevy HD 4x4 short bed crew cab. No pics to share but it's a pretty conventional setup that works fine.

My next trailer will be an in-line...the narrower widths of those things is very sweet.
Craze1cars...question for ya. I was thinking about getting a trifold like you have(Cabela's has em for like $100 bucks--just needs plywood)...the question is...when you fold the thing up...will it fit in the back of the P/U truck WITH the snowmobile in there? Also, did you add plywood to your ramp and does it still fold with plywood?
I figure the ramp would be great to have for short jonts or running (1) sled to the dealership for something instead of loading up the trailer and pulling the trailer each time.

When folded, the ramp will fit with the sled in there, but it sorta has to sit on an angle over one of the wheelwells. So you might need to do some careful strapping if you are concerned about it shifting and scratching the sled. To avoid this hassle, I made my "ladder rack" that's custom fit to the ramp, so the ramp rides up on top of a bedside.

I did add plywood to the ski portion of the ramp...1/8" (or maybe 1/4"...I can't remember) plywood slips into a channel, then you drill some holes and put a few rivets in to keep the plywood from sliding out. It folds flat. I left the center portion laddered so the track lugs bite the ladder going up.

A few tips: Get the extra long version. Even with that it's a mighty steep ramp, and you need a pretty good run at it to overcome carbides digging into the wood....and you have VERY little time to stop when you get there. I often try to put my rear wheels in a ditch, or back up toward a short snowbank to take some of the angle off.

If you don't have reverse, make sure you have a good strong back. It can be a real PITA to unload a non-reverse sled with one person...often gotta lift the front completely off the ground to overcome the skis hanging up on the edge of the ramp. The ramp itself can be a little awkward to handle with one person also, but I get it done.

It's not a perfect solution. I fear one day my tailgate cables will snap with 800 lbs of rider and sled teetering on the edge...it hasn't happened yet, but I'm expecting a fair amount of damage to the truck if it does. Frankly I've found it easier to just use the tilt trailer for short jaunts...we only use the back of the truck if we happen to be running with a third, in which case we have extra people and makes the loading/unloading process go fast and easy.

But I use the ramp all the time...lawn mowers, roto-tillers, furniture on dolleys, wheelbarrow loads of debris, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, etc. So it's a very worthwhile investment beyond just for snowmobile use.

Craze1cars...thanks for all the info in your reply...i appreciate it. I didnt even think of the strain on the tailgate cables...i wonder how much weight those cables will withstand. Thanks for the advice on the extra long version as well...I can see where that would be a benefit.

Here's an interesting article on the rated capacity of tailgate cables...there seems to be no such rating. And this is why I have the fear. It's simply an unknown as far as I can tell. Grimm's setup (though VERY cool!) looks like it would put a massive load on the tailgate as well. I've heard many stories of snapped tailgate cables over the years. Obviously they have a limit...and it probably varies widely.

Incidentally this place sells some pretty cool products as well. Some very unique ramp systems here for all kinds of stuff, including snowmobiles.

http://www.discountramps.com/articles/t ... cables.htm

impalapower said:
2BLUE4U said:
2007 United In-Line 4 Place.

Whats the scoop with the tri-axle? A bit overkill? I'd opt for a tandem axle that had a heavier GAWR.

When we bought it we thought it was bit overkill oursleves but it sure does pull nice. We bought it at Haydays and got a pretty good deal. I think we paid $7850 and he threw in all 6 aluminum wheels for $150. Couldn't pass it up. The axles are rated at 3500 a piece, electric brakes on all three axles. The more I pull it the more I like the three axles but your right it's probably overkill.

My Hauler
By the way----that white stuff is snow. LaLaLa LaLaLa

Attachments

• IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 153
I know I already poste my open Triton Elite 12' V-Nose with the salt guard but, here's the planned set up in two years once the wife is done with college and has her Registered Nurse Degree.

I'll be pulling an Arctic Fox Travel Trailer with the sled up on a Slick Lift sled deck installed on my F-350 SD. I thought about going the Toy Hauler route but, I would need to step to a 36' pull behind type or a 27' 5th Wheel type. Both of these start pushing close to $40,000 once loaded with all the options vs. $24,000 for the loaded 26-Z and $5000 for the Slick Lift.

Jim

Attachments

• MVC-762S.jpg
    MVC-762S.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 1Group_of_Toys-MVC-378S.jpg
    1Group_of_Toys-MVC-378S.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 26z2FloorplanSmall.jpg
    26z2FloorplanSmall.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 149
craze1cars said:
Here's an interesting article on the rated capacity of tailgate cables...there seems to be no such rating. And this is why I have the fear. It's simply an unknown as far as I can tell. Grimm's setup (though VERY cool!) looks like it would put a massive load on the tailgate as well. I've heard many stories of snapped tailgate cables over the years. Obviously they have a limit...and it probably varies widely.

Incidentally this place sells some pretty cool products as well. Some very unique ramp systems here for all kinds of stuff, including snowmobiles.

http://www.discountramps.com/articles/t ... cables.htm
I can speek from experience, you will never break those cables from a snowmobile riding back there, or when you are loading and unloading. I own a tool and die company and I haul molds and dies all the time, over the past 10 years I have only broke 3 of the tailgate cables. The only reason that happened was from a stupid forklift driver setting too much weght on the tailgate. Hopefully I have eased your worry, Later

Grimm said:
Here's mine:
Could you explain to me how this works, or do you have pictures of the sled loaded. When I go alone, I always haul my sled in the back of my truck and use an aluminum ramp to load, its easier to drive 5hrs and not worry about pulling a trailer. Just not sure how this setup works. Thanks for your help.

Leroy said:
Could you explain to me how this works, or do you have pictures of the sled loaded. When I go alone, I always haul my sled in the back of my truck and use an aluminum ramp to load, its easier to drive 5hrs and not worry about pulling a trailer. Just not sure how this setup works. Thanks for your help.

Well, I've only tried it out a couple of times thus far, but no pics of the sled in the truck.

What I do is drive the sled up the ramp to where the skis reach the top. Stop and set the parking brake and get off the sled. You can either lift up the rear bumper of the sled or the rear of the ramp and on plane with the bed of the pickup. This will be relatively easy due to the balance of the sled on the ramp. Most of the weight will be resting on the wheels (I've installed a couple more that are not in the pic) and I then push the sled and ramp into the truck.

I based my design on the aluminum ramp system from Cycle Hauler: http://cyclehauler.com/ezsledloader.htm

Keep in mind that this ramp is 10 feet long and slides into an 8 foot bed, so maybe you're prefer a shorter design if your truck is a short bed.

Here's another pic of the ramp in the bed as well as a diagram including dimensions of the ramp.

Attachments

• sled5.JPG
    sled5.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 143
  • sled6.JPG
    sled6.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 179
Thanks for the info, I was trying to figure out how you got the sled and the ramp in the truck. Have a good one.

Hey I have a question for the in-line guys. My 718 has an 18' box and a 5' vee. Am I going to be able to cram 4 121" sleds in this if I get in a pinch? I have heard it's possible with creative positioning but I don't see it fitting more than three.

Back