• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

info on clutch kit whit a 23 top gear

yves F 7

Pro
Hey guys,i am planning to install a clutch kit and a 23 top gear on my 07 apex gt,i would like to know if the drivebility on groomed trails is affected and if the gas consumption is also affected and in what way,thanks

Don't bother going with the 23. Go with 22/38 or 23/40. My gas consumption didn't really change at all. You actually make the clutching / gearing work more efficiently. If I drive it easy, I can get about 150 miles out of a tank. If I'm on it, just over 100 miles.

Its summer yves! Yes,the drivability is somewhat affected with a clutch kit. I like gearing down with a 23/40 and stock clutching for the trails, and a Pro-Line kit for a little lake use. Stock clutching will tent to hold down the cruising RPM and keep the MPG up a bit. Clutch kits will tend to keep up the cruising RPM and sacrifice some MPG. Top-end will be about the same using kits or stock. They like to run at least 10,500-10,800 on the tach. Upwards of 11,000 won't hurt a thing but its best power is @ 10,700-10,800.

so for trail use,you suggest to gear down whit the 23 and keep stock clutching,and it will improve my mpg thats what i wanted to know,yes o know it's summer,i'm just to much of a snowmobiler loll

I have an ulmer stage 2 warrior set up for sale, has weights ith tuning parts, pimary spring secondary spring and helix. If memory serves me right I paid 360 for it will take 200 for it by Thursday. Maxdlx

Gearing down will surely not improve mileage, but tend to hurt it some, although ever so slight. It runs slightly more R's. Same with a clutch kit. It will hurt mileage some at cruising RPM due to RPM being much higher. Best MPG is stock gear and stock clutch if that is what your after. You cant have your cake and eat it too. There is always a compromise.

Gearing down and clutching will definetly hurt the gas mileage.

KnappAttack said:
Gearing down will surely not improve mileage, but tend to hurt it some, although ever so slight. It runs slightly more R's. Same with a clutch kit. It will hurt mileage some at cruising RPM due to RPM being much higher. Best MPG is stock gear and stock clutch if that is what your after. You cant have your cake and eat it too. There is always a compromise.

I geared my 07 Attak GT down to 22/40. I don't see many guys doing it. I reclutched, added about 2 grams of weight to each arm and kept my RPMs down. I am turning about 10,400 at top end.
This set up has improved acceleration to 100, improved fuel mileage, and made the sled easier to load and unload off of trailers.
I have had many conversations with Duane Watt from Hi-Tech and he highly recommends gearing down if you are not after only top end.
I want a rocket in the trails and I am not looking at anything over a 100MPH.
I can directly compare my findings to my friends Attak GT. I always take less fuel than he does and I can out accelerate him to a 100.

Blade, you are too low even for top end. 10,500-10,700 top end. Load it to 10200-10,400 and pull it up from there.

I'm not sure about gas mileage because I have never checked it before or after adding Ulmer's stage 2 clutch kit and a 23 tooth top gear.

I do not worry about gas mileage because my sled always takes at least a couple of gallons less than anyone that I have ridden with. I know that everyone else will need gas long before me.

I am very happy with this set-up. Less engine braking but still enough to use in cornering, smooth engagement, and it pulls like a freight train past 100 mph. I may have lost a few mpg and a few mph on top, but the the harder pull at trail speeds is more than worth it for me.

blade,

That is because you are holding the R's down below stock. Better performance for you because you have it geared down and multiplying tq. at the front drive, not from more HP due to higher RPM. It would perform even better if you let the R's come up. Then the mileage would come down though.

Less R's = better MPG less performance, less responsive.
More R's = less MPG, better performance, more responsive.

One more thing, maybe your friend is not stock, could he have an airbox mod or some clutch kit or something. It's pretty easy to slow them down and hurt the performance. My properely set up stocker will take down the so called "modded four-strokes".

KnappAttack said:
blade,
Thanks KnappAttacl.
My friends Attak is bone stock.
I keep his clutches clean for him and that is the extent of it.
What RPM's would you recommend.
I have many springs that I could adjust RPMs with.
Jim

That is because you are holding the R's down below stock. Better performance for you because you have it geared down and multiplying tq. at the front drive, not from more HP due to higher RPM. It would perform even better if you let the R's come up. Then the mileage would come down though.

Less R's = better MPG less performance, less responsive.
More R's = less MPG, better performance, more responsive.

One more thing, maybe your friend is not stock, could he have an airbox mod or some clutch kit or something. It's pretty easy to slow them down and hurt the performance. My properely set up stocker will take down the so called "modded four-strokes".

10,700 - 10,800 is ideal peak HP RPM.

Back