• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is anyone running 93 octane?

outy222

Is anyone runing 93 octane just cause they cant bring themselves to run
87.. Thats were I stand dont no what to run. :o|

on my attak i ran the cheapest gas they had and it never missed a beat. I would say you are throwing your money away putting in 93.

jmo

$10K high performance snowmobile............

Few cents extra per gallon for high octane in a high compression/performance motor and a whole lot of fun.

No brainer to me...........wouldn't run anything but 93 in any of my sleds. I'd run 100-race fuel if I had it readily available. Heck I'd even run rocket fuel if I thought it would give me an edge or make me fly like a rocket.

Any advantage I get get on the Arctic-Craps, Ski-Don'ts, and Pull-yer-a$$ riders I will take it to.

LOL

If you do a search you will find this was discussed before. Now I'm not saying this to be a @ss, but because there was info in there that made you think twice about running 93.
Guys were getting better drag times on 87 and loosing time on 93

It's all what the machine is set up to run. My dealer had 700 raptors come back because they had a pingin in the motor, the owners were running 93 in them, put 87 in and the noise went right away even picked up trottle response.

I ran 93 all last year, But will be trying 87 this season

That is complete bogus information........It is quite the opposite to be honest. True these engines were designed to run on 87 octane gas. However.........

You will generally get detonation (pinging)from lessor grades of pump fuel......not from running higher. If you run higher then drop down to a lower grade you might also get some detonation.

I could not find anything/anywhere on this site that said they got worst numbers running higher octane gas. That is Bass Ackwards to everything you were ever taught about internal combustion engines. Thats why most guys who race, run 100LL/Avgas or 110-Trick Racing Fuel or even up to 118 in turbo/supercharged motors.

The owners manual says to run anything above 86 (or 91 in Europe).

These are higher compression (11.1/1), High reving and high performance motors built and designed to go fast on a race track.

Here is an excerpt I pulled out of an article.

"Knocking or pinging is a sound that an engine makes when the air-fuel mixture in the combustion chambers ignites too early. Although slight knocking or pinging won’t damage your engine, loud knocking can cause damage and should not be allowed to continue. The solution is to use a high octane fuel, which is actually more difficult to ignite. When the fuel is more difficult to burn, early ignition is eliminated, and with it the knocking or pinging.

The octane level required by an engine is determined by its compression ratio: higher-compression engines require higher-octane fuel. For example, a basic sedan generally only requires the standard octane fuel offered at gas stations, while a high-performance sports cars or motorcycles generally require a higher octane fuel. The owner’s manual lists information on the type of fuel you should use in your car or motorcycle."

the yamaha four strokes were designed to run with lower octane to be more cost effective machines for the masses. you do not need to run anything higher than the recomended 87 octane.

anything more and you really are wasting your money, you get no added performance with anything more than what the motor was designed for.

and yes the above poster (yamaloyal) is right. you "can" lose perfomance using higher octane. high octance gives you higher flash points, and more protection for predetonation (pinging/knock) but if your sled doesnt need it, you could be causing some of your performance issues.

the other thing i would be concerned with is, with the high price of fuel this past summer, lots of higher octane grades sat for long periods with no fresh fuel placed in the tanks at alot of stations. due to reduced demand.

there are a few threads on the net on the bike and sled forums where a higher than normal engine failure rate has started because the motors that need the higher octane, using degraded gas that had sat for a while, losing octane points and adding moisture, caused the sleds to fail.

food for thought. when in doubt add octane booster if you need to protect a higher compression motor. using the lowest octane your motor will accept, will burn hotter and faster giving you more power. not the reverse. the higher the octane the more it cools, the motor and protects it from problems associated with high compression. ski

skidooboy is right. These engines were designed to operate best on 87 octane fuel. Running anything more will only SLOW them down. Higher octane burns slower for use in high compression and high output engines. Turbos run on 91-93 octane. The stock Nytro engine without boost runs on 87. If you believe higher octane makes more power, you need to do some more research. Less octane makes MORE power till you reach the point of deto.

KnappAttack said:
skidooboy is right. These engines were designed to operate best on 87 octane fuel. Running anything more will only SLOW them down. Higher octane burns slower for use in high compression and high output engines. Turbos run on 91-93 octane. The stock Nytro engine without boost runs on 87. If you believe higher octane makes more power, you need to do some more research. Less octane makes MORE power till you reach the point of deto.

YES YES YES YES :Rockon: :Rockon: I think it is so funny how many kids/people go to the ice runs with a bone stock sled and put race fuel in it!!! HAHAHA They dont know they are slowing the sled down!! ;):D ;):D

Skydog

VP C-12

In 2 strokes it might be different. I ran C-12 with a reprogrammed CDI box for more advance on my timing. It ran a lot cooler and the engine was brand new clean looking when you tore it down. I heard you don't run C-12 in 4 strokes because the lead will ruin you valve seats or burn out your valves. I won a box of drag race trophy's with that sled.

just to clear up my post..............................

I'm mostly into quads, trucks, and rock crawling. I just got into snowmobiles last year since I sold all three of my sport quads and got a grizzly 700. I missed speed and was bored during the winter.

Also know for a fact that the FI quads just don't run as good on 91 as they do on 87.

A motor is set up to run on one thing, weither it be 87, 91, propane, airplane fuel, alco., diesel, or etc. You can take any motor, with any type of intake, and set it up to run (most) any fuel. I've seen raptors run strait airplane fuel, and GM converted gas motors to run Diesel.

Now Yamaha set their products to run 87 in the states, so they will run best on that. BUT............ when you add different additives to the fuel (every state is different) or that sled is changed in anyway, that will change what you should run for the best performance.

Helping with friends racecars I found that the weather will change the max performance of the motor no matter what you run.
With all that said..... Yamaha set the motor up to run 87 (in the states), but what is best for you, is up to what your set up is. Everyone is right as long as you have a smile on your face runnin it.

I'm going to run 91 for another tank since I had a 1/2 tank in it sitting all summer and you lose so many octain per month. Then I'm going to run 87 and see what I think, If I am not happy, I'm going back to 91 since I was happy when I was running it.

I'm not trying to prove no one wrong, piss anyone off, or look smart. Just stating facts. There is too much involved to say what will be best in your sled. EFI made it easyier to tune, but also made it 100 times harder. Now you don't need to turn a screw for a simple change to the motor, but you can't turn a screw for a simple extra HP.

So post up so I can try to run different things. I'm keepin this sled for some time, so I got time to try new stuff out. ;)!

Nobody has mentioned the alcohol content in fuel yet. Most of the pumps I saw in Wisconsin-Michigan list up to 10% alcohol conternt in the 87 and 89 octane grades, and zero alcohol in the 91 or 93 octane grade. Given that choice I fuelled up with the 91-93 octane gas. Just breaking in the sled and I didn't want to run it lean on 10% alcohol fuel.

The owner's manual says not to run more than 5% alcohol. Are there any stations in the midwest that sell 100% gas in the 87 octane grade? I haven't seen any.

Cars that can run anything from 0% ethanol to 85%, have EFI sensors that richen the fuel delivery to compensate for the increased ethanol content, which is why they get much worse mileage on E85 compared to gas. Sleds don't have this, so when running 10% ethanol, they are running lean - correct?

michigan has a "pump law" the ethanol content has to be listed on the pumps if it contains any. most lower penisula michigan stations (except sunoco) have 100% gas available, even low octane. ski

well I guess I'll pry my finger away from the 93 button & run the big number 87
Hopefully i'll beat that apex across feild ha ha ha otter :jump:

Koeckman said:
$10K high performance snowmobile............

Few cents extra per gallon for high octane in a high compression/performance motor and a whole lot of fun.

No brainer to me...........wouldn't run anything but 93 in any of my sleds. I'd run 100-race fuel if I had it readily available. Heck I'd even run rocket fuel if I thought it would give me an edge or make me fly like a rocket.

Any advantage I get get on the Arctic-Craps, Ski-Don'ts, and Pull-yer-a$$ riders I will take it to.

LOL

Don't run 100 octane you will kill your performance. Your motor wasn't designed to run on 100 octane. It was designed to run on 87

Back