• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is this sport becoming inaccessible?

grossman

Pro
I'm in a unique position compared to alot of the older/more experienced guys here as I'm basically just starting out in this sport. I've been riding my whole life but it's always been my parents stuff, or friends/family etc. So in June I finally had saved my pennies and bought my own sled. Now as we get closer to the season the expenses have been adding up and I'm wondering if this sport is getting too costly and scaring people away. That would be a real shame because it's the most fun myself and many other people have all year.

The less people are interested in this the more our trails and ability to ride will be hurt. IMO I think it needs to start at the top. CDN MSRP on a top end APEX is just about $18k now. Other than a Bravo what other new sleds can you buy for less that $8k CDN... I don't think many. I'm pretty sure if you go back 10 years the top end sleds were only pushing $8-10k.

Here's what it's cost me so far starting with a used sled. I'm sure i've missed or forgotten a few things. I realize year 2 will be much cheaper, but a total of around $6000 is no small expense to many people.

Used RX1 $4300 (CDN prices suck)
Highly Used trailer $400
Trail Permit $200
Helmet $200
Jacket $179
Bib $108
Boots $150
Gloves $32
Carbides $72
Spare Belt $80
Insurance $400
Service $90(minimum, I just dropped it off yesterday)
Misc. $50
Fuel for the year $???

Anyway, no snow so I can't ride. Reading about it and discussing it is the next best thing right now. :)

:rocks:

you wanna play you gotta pay ;)!

but in all honesty I don't find you paid that much for everything, the initial cost is alot but now that everything is purchased every other year won't be that bad, these sleds are pretty good on gas but you can burn up 40$ in a day if you really ride it, maint. isn't that bad either, my 03 RX1 only needed bearings in the 7yrs I owned it, hopefully my Attak is the same

Kyle

dont forget the trail permit for $200 before dec 1 I believe!!

Attachments

• DSC00470.jpg
    DSC00470.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 60
Yes it is an expensive hobby, especially when you get addicted to it and "wanting to improve" the sled you have with accessories. At least you've got the sled and jacket, helmet, etc.

Learn to do your own maintenance to save some cash, however that requires more tools and more $$. Once you do your own maintenance, you'll want to replace everything before it breaks on you, so again, more $$.

I look at the classifieds every now and again and I am amazed at how expensive some used sleds are! I saw an almost identical sled to the one I bought in 2001 with an asking price virtually the same?! That's 10 years later, wtf?

Once you're out riding though, you don't give a hoot at how expensive this hobby is, so just have fun. Oh yeah, and start saving up for that next sled.

ha you think sledding is expensive get into boating, my bass boat uses more gas to start i think then my apex burns all day.
no one said these hobbys are cheap but boy are they fun

There is no ROI in sleddin or boating & not what it is about. You either spend the lean green or you don't to begin with & why some get out right away when they add it all up. Better not to think about it.IMO

I've done lots of math on the costs of sledding.

From a pure cost standpoint I come out ahead renting 3-4 times a year. But, my enjoyment is way down due to limited models to rent; and with no insurance available on the rental sleds it is a risky position.

My wife and I both make good money, but with all of our other expenses and my desire to save lots now to retire early - we can't afford a sled; and may not be able to until the kids are in school.

smoothride said:
trail permit in michigan is $45 and the trails have been getting lots of grooming why is ontario so high $200 is to much.

Just a guess but does Ontario have more trails over a broader area with less users? And also everything costs more here. I heard a rumor that in Quebec the government is paying landowners to use their property for trails, anyone else know something about that?

I don't think so. You should try getting into Jeeping I have about 15g's in my $3000 Jeep. The trails are crazy busy here in MN on the weekends.

Why does insurance cost so much we don't even need it in MN.

LOL its not cheap. Buying the sled is almost the cheapest part of owning a sled. I bought my 06 with 4k miles last year for $4k.

This year to date I have over $2k in parts
New Drive shaft
Drivers
Oilites
Rear skid bushings
Halfbaked skid
New Track
Random bolts
New Hyfax
New rail tips
Two new Upper wheels
Chain case oil
Oil change

LOL its a good thing im addicted

your totals are not that bad,think about it,if you keep the sled,say,3 years,you paid $4300,in three years you would prob get $2500 for it,so the difference is 1800,divided by three seasons is $600 a year to own that sled,of course you have the other costs but very affordable if you ask me,and you have a bullet proof ride on top of that

Sledding is still very popular around here. There are enough used sled's for sale for people to run if they want to get in for less money. But ultimately I believe fuel prices down the road will dictate all motorsport's fates. Some resorts are charging $5 or $6 a gallon for non oxy 91 octane. While us die hards will swallow it just to ride, plenty of folks will refuse one by one. And just imagine if fuel prices exponentially rose, which is bound to happen someday. Can we devise a solar powered sled, lol!!!!

Back