• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leaking Oil Resevoir

snowriderjoe

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper L-TX
Just checking to see if anyone else out there has had this problem.
Last week my wife and I were just setting off on a week long saddle bag trip. We had gone about 20 miles and the amber warning light came on. We were in some marginal snow, so I thought maybe it was overheating, but then noticed that the oil icon was on. I thought this was strange and opened up the hood, only to discover that the bottom of the belly pan was full of oil. I checked the oil lever in the tank and none showed up on the stick. I thought maybe one of the hoses had come off, but couldn't find any loose. I took the side panel off and still couldn't see anything. Until I started the engine. When I did this oil started dripping out the bottom of the oil resevoir. Upon closer inspection, I discovered there was a hairline crack in the tank near the front mounting tab. With the engine running the oil dripped out of the tank pretty fast. I had ridden the sled all weekend and didn't notice this, but I am assuming it had been leaking all the time. We called the local dealer in town and they said they did not have a tank, but to bring it in and they'd see what they could do. Luckily we didn't have far to go, so we rode double back and got my truck and trailer and hauled it to town. The dealer actually found more cracks. They tried patching the cracks with JB Weld. But even after letting it cure for a full day, it didn't work. We took it out the next day and I checked it after 30 miles and it was leaking past the JB Weld. Luckilly I was carrying extra oil with just in case and was actually able to drive it most of the day and just kept adding oil. Needless to say, out saddle bag trip was over. The dealer had ordered the tank and it came in a couple days later and put it on the sled. Everything was covered by warranty, but it sure ruined my vacation. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if not, I would suggest looking at your tank to see if there are any cracks. Supposedly Yamaha said it was caused by vibration, so whats to say it won't happen again and to more sleds. By the way, the people at Iron River Sports in Iron River, WI did a great job of helping me out.

Oil resevoir leaking again

Just wanted to post an update to the problem I had last year.
This past weekend I was riding and noticed oil dripping from the belly pan. Turns out the tank that was replaced last February is already cracked and leaking. Took it back to the dealer. I hope that Yamaha covers this under warranty again, since the sled is now our of warranty.
Anyone else having this problem??

Oil Tank Leak

I did a 600 mile backpack trip in the UP in mid-December. At mile 585 my oil light came on. I had read about this issue on TY and pulled my dipstick. Oil was very low and the tank was cracked by the bottom bolt.

I will be packing extra oil on my next long trip.

Bgs

I don't have any problems with mine. One of my riding friends has almost 14000 kms on his 06 RS Venture and has only has only had idler wheels replaced and a chaincase bearing failure. My engine has minimal vibration. Well compared to my previous sled - a Cat 800 twin. That thing rattled the rivets right out of the tunnel :)

leaking oil tank

Just checking again to see how many people have had this problem and if there were any repeat problems like mine. I am picking my sled up from the dealer tomorrow with the 3rd oil tank. Yamaha is saying they aren't going to cover this new tank under warranty, even though it has been less than a year since they replaced the original tank. They are telling the dealer I must have hit something to cause the tank to crack. The dealer has told them there is no sign of damage, and I have never hit anything with this sled. I would like to get a count of number of problems so I have some back up when I have a discussion with Yamaha to try to recover the repair costs.

yup. I had one crack at 4000 miles on my rage.never hit anything, looked like a vibration/harmonics issue. expired warrentee but dealer covered it some way. yamaha needs to address this for sure.

Other poeple are also having this problem. There have been posts in the RS forum too. My buddy had it happen on his 06 Apex GT, a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be a problem on some sleds. My Nytro only has 750 miles on it, so I haven't expirenced this yet.

After reading about this issue, I looked at mine and did not find anything wrong. I did how ever, drill out the mounting holes and installed gromits with metal inserts and reinstalled the tank. Now the tanks is 'floating ' on rubber.

Could you post a picture of what you did. I would like to do that to mine.
I think this is what Yamaha should have done or should be doing to fix the existing ones. What did you use for parts?

snowriderjoe said:
Could you post a picture of what you did. I would like to do that to mine.
I think this is what Yamaha should have done or should be doing to fix the existing ones. What did you use for parts?
I knew I should have taken pictures as I was putting it together! I have two of the finished product. But, even after reading how to post pics, it's not happening. I do know how to E-Mail them though. Send me a message to freyhous@rtecexpress.net and I can send what I have. I used a cut off pipe nipple for the inside bushing, a 3/8 steel fuel line would work also. The gromit can be found an auto parts store. I also bought a little longer bolts for the top two. Blue locktite them as you don't want to over tighten and crush the bushing.

After reading about these issues, I thought about putting some rubber washers between the oil tank, and the frame to dampen some vibration. I'm not sure if this would work or not. Anybody have any thoughts?

These posts worry me. My tank has has already cracked, dealer replaced under warrenty. 2200 miles. What worries me is Hondo's sled with 25000 miles cracked also. That tell me its only a matter of time. All the pics
I've seen, mine included, the crack is in the same place.

A crack in a 4-stroke oil tank is crippling! If I receive pistons pics, I will try to post them.

Budweiser said:
These posts worry me. My tank has has already cracked, dealer replaced under warrenty. 2200 miles. What worries me is Hondo's sled with 25000 miles cracked also. That tell me its only a matter of time. All the pics
I've seen, mine included, the crack is in the same place.

A crack in a 4-stroke oil tank is crippling! If I receive pistons pics, I will try to post them.
I sent two different e-mails

Pistons rubber grommets. I like the idea. thought of the same myself but didn't know what to do about the rubber getting crushed and then doing nothing. But with the bushing it sounds like a great idea!!! Can't hurt to try!
Click on pics to make them bigger.

Thanks Piston!

Attachments

• P1150082.jpg
    P1150082.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 342
  • P1150083.jpg
    P1150083.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 368

Back