• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Longest Lasting Rollers

Normal Yamaha tuning fork r and d and this clutch would never have been put on a production sled.

My thought is if your not running the sled hard turn your tune down to a lower boost. If your just cruising down the trail at part throttle with 16 psi of boost the rollers are getting hammered from the pulses. Turn the tune down to 240 tune and then boost is at about 9 psi and not rattling the clutch so hard from the pulses.
If it's a low traffic day and I go out for a fast hard rip I crank up the tune and give er loading the motor so it's not rattling so hard.

2 more clutches came apart this past weekend. I wish I could tell everyone to just drop their hpr down as 1nc 2000 mentioned, but even stock sleds are grenading. Both guys called looking for used and new primary clutches to finish out the season. One from a TD Max 17 tune with Dalton's and the other all stock with 1,800 miles on. All rollers in good condition from the questions I asked them.

290 hp , hurricane quite exhaust,Dalton weights 79 gram, green primary , 41-35 helix, b/orange secondary set at 9-1 with 8DN belt , works really good in trails but the rollers don't last long.... lol . Only really started to have problems with primary rollers when I cranked up secondary preload
How hot does your secondary run?i tried the B/O at 90 degrees and you would burn your hand on the secondary after 10 miles of twisty trails stock srx

Where can you buy a new Apex clutch? Babbitts only list all parts, not the whole clutch.

2 more clutches came apart this past weekend. I wish I could tell everyone to just drop their hpr down as 1nc 2000 mentioned, but even stock sleds are grenading. Both guys called looking for used and new primary clutches to finish out the season. One from a TD Max 17 tune with Dalton's and the other all stock with 1,800 miles on. All rollers in good condition from the questions I asked them.
Hi Terry,so are you seeing sheeve damage,and or shaft problems,with the winder primaries? Do you sell new apex clutches?

Check it close you will see it lacks rollers,and is completely unassembled,but all parts are there less rollers.
Yes you are correct, I was told at one point that it came assembled but now I remember digging around and learning it was unassembled. No big deal though, simple enough to put together minus bringing to dealer to install and torque spider if you dont have the tools to do so. At that price though, once you purchase rollers your dipping into pb80 pricing and maybe thats a better option??? Lots of guys on the facebook groups loving their pb80's, I have never tried one or even saw one in person.

Hi Terry,so are you seeing sheeve damage,and or shaft problems,with the winder primaries? Do you sell new apex clutches?

We can get any previous style Yamaha primary, but most are going with the previous style Viper primary as the Apex ones are almost impossible to get. The only difference is the set screws for the roller pins. We have a cryogenic plastic washer we provide with every new clutch to keep the roller pin and bolt in place.

Check it close you will see it lacks rollers,and is completely unassembled,but all parts are there less rollers.

Correct, lacks rollers and is not assembled. Thunder Products Clutching assembles and spin balances the clutches. Our Viper clutches we sell for $490 brand new.

With our repair facility going full force now, we are seeing so many horrible TEAM and SW primaries coming in...it's not even funny. I have 2 file folders on my computer (TEAM and SW) with all the carnage. Stock, flashed...you name it. Some of the best pics are from TEAM clutches off of stock ZR6000's.

With our repair facility going full force now, we are seeing so many horrible TEAM and SW primaries coming in...it's not even funny. I have 2 file folders on my computer (TEAM and SW) with all the carnage. Stock, flashed...you name it. Some of the best pics are from TEAM clutches off of stock ZR6000's.
I just found a nice crack in movable sheave on my cat!! Dealer is warranting it so I may sell the new clutch and buy tapp or another billet clutch set up

And weights. And those 2 components are not cheap!

Weights and rollers are not cheap, but thank god Yamaha kept the same pin sizes for the weights and rollers so you can swap the springs, weights and rollers from the SW clutch into the previous style clutch.

Back