• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lower ball joint bulletin out this week 20oct08: got mine on

RADNYTROFX

Extreme
FYI

my dealer said that yamaha is putting a lower ball joint bulletin out this week. my dealer put the new lower ball joints on my sled yesterday.
my ball joints only had 300 miles on them but they replaced them anyways even though they were not shot yet.

thats good because i took my a-arms off of my sled to get powder coated and found out that both of my lower ball joints are shot. they had about an 1/8 in. of slop up and down. i am really glad that i took apart my front end cuz i prolly wouldn't have noticed it.

darren

fxnytrortx3 said:
thats good because i took my a-arms off of my sled to get powder coated and found out that both of my lower ball joints are shot. they had about an 1/8 in. of slop up and down. i am really glad that i took apart my front end cuz i prolly wouldn't have noticed it.

darren

i found the same thing, same reason too, getting them coated. i checked them before and didn't catch it, then when i was taking them apart i noticed over 1/8 of play on the one lower balljoint, 'only' 1/16 or so in the other. so this morning i'm gonna have fun seeing what the dealer says.

Does the should still have to be taken down some? Did they just beef up the balljoint itself? Why take thing apart twice, and have to keep buying new Yamaha lock nuts
:exc:

sheetwright said:
Does the should still have to be taken down some? Did they just beef up the balljoint itself? Why take thing apart twice, and have to keep buying new Yamaha lock nuts
They are talking about the lower balljoints.

Re: Balljoints

kingedwards99 said:
Is it hard to change them yourself? Is there any tricks we should know?

Not too hard - I used a c-clamp and a little homemade puller to R&R mine. the 3 tick marks go down - towards the c-clip.

Puller consisted of threaded rod, couple of nuts, and an aluminum plate - worked great!

EsonPZ said:
sheetwright said:
They are talking about the lower balljoints.

Let's just say I wasn't paying attention in class. SO they put me on the small bus today :o|

From what I've heard, the replacement ball joints are not much better than the original ones. We'll know in a few months after guys get some time on them.

That would suck because the pricey greasable ones from ER Yamaha weren't much better. By the end of the year they had a ton of slop.

Supposedly Zbroz is coming out with spindles and a-arms. If the 09 ball joints fail it looks like this is the next best option...though spendy.

Back