• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Manitoba Ride 2010

I'm very interested in this ride and plan to do all days. I buy trail permits every year to ride in ND, MN, MB and ON putting on 4,500+ miles (7,242 kilometers) a year....so this type of ride is right up my alley.

I'd like to offer my help in creating GPS maps for the ride if that is something wanted/needed. I can make custom maps that install into Mapsource and then can be uploaded to a Garmin GPS. They have a transparent background and overlay the GPS basemap and/or Garmin Topo map. I made up an test/example map color coded to indicate 2 different routes and have attached screenshots from a GPS showing how it would look. As many color coded routes can be made to indicate which ride is on which day.

I also have a SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker with a basic and tracking subscription...to keep in touch with others who may want to follow the ride on Google Maps.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to this ride.

ScreenshotGPS8M.jpg

ScreenshotGPS1_2M.jpg

ScreenshotGPS1_2M2.jpg

Hey RWS

That would be fantastic if you could create the GPS routes for us. Nothing better than having the specific GPS routes identified. Once we get a bit closer to the dates, we will narrow the rides down further. Have you looked at the maps marked out at the website to see where we are planning to ride? If so, that is a good starting point. What format do you make them up for as I have a Garmin 60CSX?

http://members.shaw.ca/bmr40/TY_Manitob ... lcome.html

Where abouts are you located?

blustar said:
Hey RWS

That would be fantastic if you could create the GPS routes for us. Nothing better than having the specific GPS routes identified. Once we get a bit closer to the dates, we will narrow the rides down further. Have you looked at the maps marked out at the website to see where we are planning to ride? If so, that is a good starting point. What format do you make them up for as I have a Garmin 60CSX?

Where abouts are you located?

Yes I produced the sample map using your 2010 Regular Routes map A & D as a guide. I make actual maps (.img files) from track files...same format Garmin uses to make Canada Topo. My maps will upload to any Garmin unit capable of using added maps.

I received some track files from Sasquatch today that I can add to my collection....so from what I have and what I got from Sasquatch I should be able to make maps for any route you decide to run....and color code them for each day.

I'm from ND.

rws said:
blustar said:
Hey RWS

That would be fantastic if you could create the GPS routes for us. Nothing better than having the specific GPS routes identified. Once we get a bit closer to the dates, we will narrow the rides down further.

Here's the snowmobile trail data I have available to create the custom maps from.

MasterGPSTrails.jpg

rws...

Those are sweet!

Can you produce the routes I have posted on the website? If so, I can then put them up on the website.

Im gonna have to get all of the Manitoba maps trails and Minnesota/ND ones from you as we are going to be doing more in Minnesota this year.

Thanks

blustar said:
rws...

Those are sweet!

Can you produce the routes I have posted on the website? If so, I can then put them up on the website.

Im gonna have to get all of the Manitoba maps trails and Minnesota/ND ones from you as we are going to be doing more in Minnesota this year.

Thanks

Yes I can produce a custom map to upload to GPS for the routes you posted, but I'd like to do it after you have finalized the routes you are gonna ride so I only have to do the process once.

Here's a sample map I did of just the Route A Nopiming Loop Regular Ride. You can install this map into Mapsource and upload it to your GPS and check it out. When the routes are finalized for the ride a complete map can be made up. You can delete the map from Mapsource when you are done by going to Control Panel Add and Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista) and selecting Manitoba Ride Route A.

Download map here.

Route A map will appear in Mapsource like this...
ManitobaRideRouteA.jpg

The Route A map and Topo Canada were uploaded together and will appear on GPS as follows. If you don't have Topo the Route A map will display over the units basemap.

Route A on GPS at 8 mile zoom
ScreenshotRouteA.jpg

Route A on GPS at 1.2 mile zoom near Lac Du Bonnet
ScreenshotRouteA2.jpg

Just....

82 days,
19 hours
47 mins
23 seconds

remaining before this ride begins. I cant beleive how quickly this is approaching. The site also has over 100 hits already too!

For this who are haven't been there yet, go and have a peek and if you live in Manitoba or a neighboring State or Proviince, consider it.
Sounds like with the group we have so far its going to be alot of fun.

The rooms FYI are $89 / night

Yah were all with you on that one.

I was out at Morden on Sunday booting along the ditches and even they are pretty bare now. That will be our last visit until fresh snow comes.

Well, less than four weeks before the Manitoba Ride. Hopefully we will have snow there as some of the trails are still officially closed.

If you havent already, let me know if your interested in join us.

blustar said:
Well, less than four weeks before the Manitoba Ride. Hopefully we will have snow there as some of the trails are still officially closed.

It's Jan 28th today and most of the Mb Trails are still closed....1st time that's ever happened since they start having trails :o|

Yea that is really strange for that part of the country. How are the trails now that we are 5 days into February.

Back