• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Michigan DNR conservation officers to enhance snowmobile noise enforcement this winter

Only sounds checking 2-stroke from the above post ? I also heard that sound checking a 4-stroke will be at 2500rpm and 82db ,at 13.1 ft .

I may be wrong but...I doubt anyone is going to get a ticket for a couple DB's over the limit, they are looking for the LOUD ones. It's possible, but as stated here there are variables and the officers know that. It would be like giving someone a ticket on the Eway for 3-4 MPH over the limit and that never happens. Someone might want to call a DNR friend who can shed some real light on this.

That is dericulous and they are allusional! Why would they hold the 4 strokes to a MUUUUUUUCH lower DB reading when are sleds original regs are any manufactured not 2 or 4 stroke " For a stationary snowmobile" manufactured after July 1, 1980, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 88 decibels at 13.1 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567.

That is dericulous and they are allusional! Why would they hold the 4 strokes to a MUUUUUUUCH lower DB reading when are sleds original regs are any manufactured not 2 or 4 stroke " For a stationary snowmobile" manufactured after July 1, 1980, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 88 decibels at 13.1 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567.

Ok, for all you that think you are not going to get a ticket....you are wrong! They had a setup right on the trail and will post a pic when I get it from the guy (my phone was out of order this weekend because of the Canadain towers). They had a line up and lots of sleds got tickets from what I saw. The DNR or Michigan boys were everywhere and there was no getting away with anything. A man stood and pointed the sleds off of the trail and then you waited your turn.

1 guy in our group received his nice little ticket. Sound meter set at 13.1 feet away from the exhaust side of the sled and held at 4,000 or so rpm. The sled ticketed was a Polaris tripple with a can.

I'm so glad I put on the stock muffler on my SRX as I would have been ticketed also.

My sled (Viper), SnoNinja, Shagman, Yamahaguys and other sleds in our group were ok.

I have some go pro video of this also showing the microphone on a tripod and tickets being handed out. Watched it for about 5 to 10 minutes, The DNR has this down to a science. The sled in our group that got the ticket was not what I would call crazy loud either but still loud.

There are a lot of variables with testing sound imo. Ever notice when it's colder how much louder a sled can sound? Or as to what kind of trail/ snow it's sitting on if you got a belly exhaust. I had an Indy 500 years ago that I put a pipe on. And in the garage warming up and driving it out. It sounded great. But once it got onto even a little bit of snow couldn't tell the diff if it was piped or not. Even currently. I gutted my apex pipes and my 11 sounds totally different once it's outside for a bit and a lot different when it's -30. And also in a wooded area how much louder a sled can sound with the exhaust tone echoing off the trees. Now I don't know how all that plays in with a db meter and maybe it don't. But I don't think you can say all pipes cans are loud and should put a stop to it. Just enforce the idiots that are seen doing just that. Being idiots. I got 2 trails at my place. One out front and one behind both within 100 ft or so. And with kids outside playing. I'd rather hear a sled coming and check where my kids are then not hear them and a sled come over a crossing on top of them

received_10153940334159060.jpeg

This was Saturday

Yes, upnumber6.... Conditions have a lot to do with how a sled sounds. But we were listening to the sleds as they pulled up and segregated, the DNR is pulling the correct sleds.

You could hear some coming thru the tunnel under I-75 and brapping like crazy.

Oh, and they take pictures of each sled, the belt and clutch so if they go to court, they have pictures showing the belts to make sure nothing was wrecked in the test.

Yamahaguys is right on, they have this figured out, so don't toy with them. Our guy in the group was very informative, didn't hide anything, was nice to the DNR and still received a ticket. They are not messing around anymore.

This is a good thing. The power of todays machines is so great there is zero need for louder than stock mufflers for trail riding.

Private property, or track... make noise I'm all for it!!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Looks like I'm going to design silent choise for mine .. Hopefully I can make it thru this season . With the 4 strokes ,they maybe checking from the back ?

Looks like I'm going to design silent choise for mine .. Hopefully I can make it thru this season . With the 4 strokes ,they maybe checking from the back ?

They said "wherever the exhaust comes out" if it has rear exhaust, then they have the back of the sled towards the meter. Right side, then the right side like the Ski-Doo pictured above.

Oh, and don't try running, they had more down the trails each way. There were 3 on the way to Brimley and 2 Sherrif's by the stop light watching sleds cross. They were everywhere

Makes sence. I wouldn't run , they would hear where I go anyway .. Besides I want to see exactly what meter they have. I have one , but I'm sure it's not like DNRs ..

as of right now they are not testing the 4-strokes due to burning up their belts during testing.. i recieved my ticket. my 97 polaris ultra stock pipes with dg stinger can. tested at an average of 96.8 decibles. i just purchased a stock can off ebay and will throw that dg one for sale. now that i am older i dont care for the noise anymore and completely agree with the law

Back