• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI Turbo Viper ongoing Review.....

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
I thought I would write an update on the MPI Turbo install on the Viper. I have a little over 900 miles on it and I slowly raised the boost up to 6 lbs. Finally after some adjusting and some incredible service support from Matt at MPI the sled has settled in nicely. Its very quiet and smooth. Has a very nice mid range kick that surpasses any Apex that I have driven other then my Super Charged Apex :jump:

Fuel mileage is pretty steady at 12 MPG and have seen mid to high 11s to as good as 14 mpg depending on trail conditions and sustained speed at boost.

AFR numbers are 11.9 to 12.5 on full boost at WOT and it cruises in the 12s and on occasion with practically no throttle it may flash some 13s and low 14s..

Engine temps are steady at 167 thru the woods and long pulls on the grade it will get up around 180 deg. With this sled I would never let it sit and idle when chit chatting with your buds... it builds heat very fast and that could be death to any boosted sled.

I am not a big racer but I do like to play with the Radar Gun so as time permits I will post some numbers later in the season.

I have to admit, I was worried about boosting this sled... but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you have any questions or are looking for an installer and you are in my area, I can help you out. Mind you this is not a simple task installing but after you work thru some of the growing pains you find the importance of why things are moved and understand the kit some much more.

Attachments

• IMG_6441.JPG
    IMG_6441.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 682
  • Houghton13 (20).JPG
    Houghton13 (20).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 697
  • Houghton13 (1).JPG
    Houghton13 (1).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 754

A lot of thanks to Tom And Matt I finally have my MPI turbo running tip top! And wow what a difference! I'm seeing 110+mph speeds and a little better temps then Tom (Mr. sled) I'm seeing 165 and really never exceeding 170 while riding no matter what conditions. Unless idling. My mileage is really close to a stock Viper, maybe around 14mpg. I'm seeing 11.8-12.5 at wot. I'm not perfect at the other speeds however. Just a little more adjustments. Went today with ApexGT40 and a friend of his. Around 150 miles and went airborne a few times, man I love jumping this thing! The turbo runs without a hitch! Really pulls hard all the way through the power band! I would do it again as well!! ;)! :4STroke: :Rockon:

YamahaTim said:
I'm seeing 110+mph speeds ;)! :4STroke: :Rockon:

110 mph seems a little slow. Running out of gear?

Radared my stock Apex SE 2 weeks ago at 109 mph on snow [confirmed by GPS] and it only has 500 miles on it.

Riceburner said:
YamahaTim said:
I'm seeing 110+mph speeds ;)! :4STroke: :Rockon:

110 mph seems a little slow. Running out of gear?

Radared my stock Apex SE 2 weeks ago at 109 mph on snow [confirmed by GPS] and it only has 500 miles on it.

Yes ...running out of gear... Ill race your Apex...

Good review, I really can't stress to guys enough if you are going to play the boost game you should install it yourself or with someone that can explain everything in black and white. Nothing worse than a man that writes the cheques that doesn't know the basics and ends up stranded somewhere.

Were at 2000 miles now boosted running whatever pump junk we get and VPc5 octane booster at 6 psi.

Question:
I love the instant acceleration of my stock Viper. Hard to write word but it is just snappy and so fun to instantly feel the power even at 60mph. I rode my buddies TurboCat and it was very fast topend but just boring getting there. Yes it did a 105mph in loose where I could only do 85mph but honestly it was boring. No jerk your arms and wheelie fun. I guess what I am trying to say is does it give you the thrill even with little traction? I hope one of you let me try your sled even in parking lot. I will know.

cannondale27 said:
Question:
I love the instant acceleration of my stock Viper. Hard to write word but it is just snappy and so fun to instantly feel the power even at 60mph. I rode my buddies TurboCat and it was very fast topend but just boring getting there. Yes it did a 105mph in loose where I could only do 85mph but honestly it was boring. No jerk your arms and wheelie fun. I guess what I am trying to say is does it give you the thrill even with little traction? I hope one of you let me try your sled even in parking lot. I will know.
the turbo viper will pull 10x harder than the cat it's how they scale the boosting to make it more linear. If the cat had a quick spool program flashed I to it that keeps it spooled up it's down right dangerous how hard it lights. I had one with the quick spool programming and could not trail ride it. Zero to 120 becomes a reality and you cannot slow it down believe me not good.

The viper with turbo hits very hard but not as bad as a spooled up cat. It's very linear manageable trail power. Think about how your viper pulls now. That by about 5x factor and it will yank all the way to 100 plus that hard or from 60 up you gotta hang on or you'll slide off.

It's a very linear pull. It won't ride a wheelie, but it pulls hard. I have not had the chance to really open it up on a nice straight away. But I see around 110 mph all the time. And it does not take to long to get there. But I'm sure I'm pretty close to running out of gear. I'm perfectly fine with a true 100 mph. That's fast enough. I don't care if another sled can go faster, I'll get there first! I get great traction and it pulls hard right out of the hole! :Rockon:

YamahaTim said:
It's a very linear pull. It won't ride a wheelie, but it pulls hard. I have not had the chance to really open it up on a nice straight away. But I see around 110 mph all the time. And it does not take to long to get there. But I'm sure I'm pretty close to running out of gear. I'm perfectly fine with a true 100 mph. That's fast enough. I don't care if another sled can go faster, I'll get there first! I get great traction and it pulls hard right out of the hole! :Rockon:

Yours won't ride a wheelie? Man ours in 3' of snow will stand on the bumper and pull the skis as long as you want to play with it. Makes it fun to navigate tree's with in deep snow!

TurboJamie said:
YamahaTim said:

Yours won't ride a wheelie? Man ours in 3' of snow will stand on the bumper and pull the skis as long as you want to play with it. Makes it fun to navigate tree's with in deep snow!

I was talking on the trails, of course it will in the powder, heck a stock one probably will. It lifts up and rides a long ways in 3+feet of snow. Not that we have three feet where I live. I have to travel a long ways to have that beautiful snow.we have enough to ride and that's it.

Just installed my MPI kit with prologger, it took much much longer than they say it will. Clutching sled this week, what are you guys doing for clutching?

Another great weekend of riding... 200 more miles on the MPI Turbo and both tanks of fuel were 14mpg...damn I love this sled. I changed the skis and studded the track this last week. Few rear skid tweaks and now she drives like a slot car.

jw440/800 said:
Just installed my MPI kit with prologger, it took much much longer than they say it will. Clutching sled this week, what are you guys doing for clutching?

It is a big job.... at least 16 hours for the first one. I run Supertips from Ulmer racing.

Yes at 1000 miles on mine it just gets better and better. The mid range pull is mind blowing just plowing doen the trail at 60 nail it and the water runs out of your eyes and the skis don't set down till you let off.

This weekend I was running with 2 guys 1 on 2014 800 sno pro and old ZR 800 on the trail the snow pro could run with me out to 60 then good bye. The Zr never had a chance and he was burning 2x the fuel that I was. We ran the entire length of the Flambou Flowage WOT when I got to the other end I shut down took my helmet off and waited a few minutes till the Sno pro appeared on the horizon. It Seems the "Sno Pro" does not like to go in snow. 160+ hp and it would not break 80 mph in 2' of fresh.

Back