• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI Turbo Viper ongoing Review.....

swamp hog said:
Is the MPI turbo system reliable? I do a lot of trail riding (Backpack) for 5-7 days straight a couple times a year so reliability is very important. I am handy with wrenches but not a pro. thoughts?

It is very very reliable. I have 1300 miles of trail riding on and have had 0 problems with the MPI turbo.

How is the lag compared to your Charged Apex Tom?

I love my turbo but I liked my MPI Suprcharged RX 1 combo better at low speed & corner to corner in the twisties.

Riceburner said:
How is the lag compared to your Charged Apex Tom?

I love my turbo but I liked my MPI Suprcharged RX 1 combo better at low speed & corner to corner in the twisties.

I feel exactly the same way. I think the low boost turbo is a great trail sled overall, better fuel economy, has nice mid range pull, good top end but it really lacks that bottom end snap that you like to have....like popping off of jumps and stuff. I will be honest with you, if they could get the fuel economy on the supercharger closer to the turbo I would rather have the supercharger.

I love the feel of the supercharger but this turbo on the Viper I think is the whole package. Respectable throttle response, strong mid to top end pull, great fuel economy, easily adjustable boost, and very serviceable turbo unit.

matt@mpi said:
I love the feel of the supercharger but this turbo on the Viper I think is the whole package. Respectable throttle response, strong mid to top end pull, great fuel economy, easily adjustable boost, and very serviceable turbo unit.

I would have to agree! Perfect set up! :-o :Rockon:

What are you guys seeing for top speed? My boost is at 6, my RPMs are between 8700-8800 at WOT; I'm only seeing 105mph, sled only has 65miles on it so not sure if it will get better, but my stock apex will start reeling it back in and the pass the viper with enough lake.

BTW prologger is def worth the money, once you get used to setting it up, it is absolutely awesome.

jw440/800 said:
What are you guys seeing for top speed? My boost is at 6, my RPMs are between 8700-8800 at WOT; I'm only seeing 105mph, sled only has 65miles on it so not sure if it will get better, but my stock apex will start reeling it back in and the pass the viper with enough lake.

BTW prologger is def worth the money, once you get used to setting it up, it is absolutely awesome.

117 on GPS with an LTX.

Unless you change gears no way are you going to see 117mph. I don't care how much boost you have. Gears or maybe overdrive sheeves. 6 pounds of boost is what I'm running and have seen 110 mph a couple of times, but was going across a lake at the time. I have seen 108 on a smooth rail road bed. 106mph I see all the time. It does not take long to get there. I am running stock gears and my fuel numbers are at 12.3- 12.5 and boost at 6 psi and temps are 165-170. Pretty great on all those numbers. Now I'm not running my sled much more that a 1/4 mile. So I guess if you held WOT for 4 miles with a awesome tail wind you might see 117mph....

Well I should have my head examined but after a minor hickup - (no fault of the turbo) I am installing carillo rods, wiseco pistons, upgraded fuel pump, boost controller and cranking her up to 10#'s of BOOST :Rockon:

She will be done on Monday and then to the Yooper for real world testing. I should be nearing 230 HP, I am adding velcro to my gloves and bar grips not to mention my crotch. I cannot wait to run up on a lowly etec then. :moon:

YamahaTim said:
Unless you change gears no way are you going to see 117mph. I don't care how much boost you have....

you must have some things to sort out.

I am at 5.5 lbs boost and stock gears = 117 on radar.

plowed road.

very easy to pull to the end of stock gears as others have stated. I would not run as lean as some at 12.3-12.5 though.

suburban said:
plowed road.

very easy to pull to the end of stock gears as others have stated. I would not run as lean as some at 12.3-12.5 though.

Thats as good as ice... how long you holding it for?

15-1600 feet. no need for more once it starts to bump the limiter

Back