• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My 09 600 Renegade E-tec blew up today

While checking moose hunters this fall, I happened to run into this guy from Quebec. To my surprise he also works for BRP. I told him the story about my 09 e-tec 600 Renegade and how I blew it up to pieces. I told him that I was unimpressed that the dealer only changed the cylinder and piston. I said that I no longer trust the machine and fear it would leave me stranded once again in the bush.

He gave me his card and I informed him I would be in contact once hunting season was over. I called him yesterday and he instructed me to bring the machine to the local dealer for a 2010 engine replacement along with ecu and clutching updates. I dropped the machine off at the dealer this morning.

It helps to go right to the top! Let's hope this engine holds together!

New motor and all....I would much rather have a new Yamaha.

Rock,

Unfortunately a government owned sled doesn't work that way. I wish I could dump it for a Nytro XTX which is what I wanted in the first place but it was too expensive. Our government always buys the cheapest.

I read through the post but can't seem to find a reason why it blew, not that it really matters. A dead motor is a dead motor but it would be nice to know why?? Is there not enough oil (so a new problem for them) or a revisiting crank or ring issue here?? The one that got toasted and they replaced parts, what did the piston look like?? Just wondering...

srxdude said:
Guys the only reason BRP replaces the engine is if you were to buy all the parts to fix it it would cost more than a new engine. Found that one out last winter when a buddys 05 800 renegade blew up for the second time in 3000 kms. BRP is not good with warranty issues its the cost factor to them to repair it.

That really doesn't apply since the price they sell it to YOU for is NOT the same as *their cost*.

THEIR COST for the entire engine is probably somewhere in the $25 to $50 range. For real. Amortization of development and tooling costs only apply to engines and parts that they *sell* and not warranty (since there is no revenue from warranty repairs). The cost for warranty is raw materials + factory labor (new engine assembly is easy and cheap) + shipping + dealer labor (this is the biggest component!!).

RX1MPete said:
Rock,

Unfortunately a government owned sled doesn't work that way. I wish I could dump it for a Nytro XTX which is what I wanted in the first place but it was too expensive. Our government always buys the cheapest.

Pete the local CO's got a VK professional last year, but I think the local Yamaha dealer gave them a good deal on it.

One CO here got a new 2009 VK Pro here too, but that is not the kind of sled I am into.

spddmon, no problem, I'll appreciate the help if it happens again!

you cant spell bombardier without BOMB!! not bashing but ive seen it too with a buddies 800 4 motors in 2 years... needless to say he bought an ATTAK this year

Most of the time now Yamaha just drops in a new motor, since they have been all 4 strokes. They just don't blow up, so they usually just drop ship a whole motor right to the dealer and back up and running in a quick amount of time.
Yamaha only sends replacement parts now for a blown motor and the dealer has to assemble a motor they have no idea how too

Back