• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My wife's new MTX and how to cover it's belly

DenaliDoo

So, what is the general feeling on float/skid plates out there? I see that the things tend to hold some ice up there and many are drilling holes, but what brands are really liked? The skinz looks pretty sweet but is huge, and the Yamaha one is less so.

What is the skinny?

Oh yeah, and hi everyone! :rocks:

skinz has worked great for me! Helps with snow ingestion a ton. have not seen the bigger yami but heard it looks the same? skinz is well worth it.

If i remember correctly, when you get the yami cover you have to buy the front bumper as well so it will mount properly which of course doubles the price. I believe it covered a little more than the skinz one. I have heard that when you are backing up with one they can drag and catch snow? not sure if thats true or not tho.

I've got the stock Yammi plate and I don't know how it could ever drag... its secured so well and stiff, it's solid. I'm buying the Skinz plate cuz it's a little fatter in the mid section.

Thanks all! Great forum by the way.

Quick question on the install: will I need a rivet gun? :die

And are there preferred vendors for Totally Yamaha? Any suggestions?

standard yammi plate, holds a little snow down by the sway bar but not bad - more for protection than anything

I'm running the skinz float on my 09 mtx. Only been out a few times but it seems ok. I used a metal spatula from the barbecue grill to shove out some of the snow and slush that was packed in there at the end of the day before it refroze.

It installed easily although skinz didn't send all of the necessary hardware. I had to use my own (hardware) up on the bumper. I also used wide metal washers on all four bolts underneath to provide more surface area against the plate. This may help prevent popping the plate over the bolt heads if and when a freeze occurs. Had to grind down one side of the washers on the front two bolts to make the washers fit flush with the plate. May not help or be necessary but it made me feel better.

The skinz float plate does fit with the stock bumper.

Skinz customer service was good also.

Back