• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New '22 gets POWER STEERING!

Couple things come to mind after reading above replies....

I think we do need to remember, there have been SEVERAL changes/updates since 2017 model year. Some of these are true changes and well documented, but not all.

• New brake lever/reservoir ect.
  • New switch gear
  • New front end geometry/spindles
  • Heated ROV(attempt at fixing the freeze issue, albeit most here show it does not work)
  • Better Driveshaft/bearing fitment(some mentioned their new shaft to have a interference fit)
  • Tough material coolant hose(updated coolant hose between runner & bulkhead exchanger)
  • New Idler wheel placement and type
  • New rear axle/3 wheel design
  • New Stryke ski(FINALLY!)

There may be a few I missed, but many of these have come since my '18 model year, so for a guy like me these are all good news. Not needing to add Pilot ski's, I can run the stock STRYKE ski with single carbide and go nuts with big carbide due to EPS will still steer light.

I certainly would love to see YAMAHA adopt the stellar top gear/bushing(DMC design) for higher mileage reliability. I think most guys will still ad the BOP driveshaft saver device, regardless if fitment is better. Maybe YAM should just ad a similar device right out of the box! LOL. Roller tensioner for me is a personal thing, since it ruined a trip and I got towed due to those tiny screws backing out. So tack weld them for sure, or better yet YAM should redesign that to a delrin pad, use a bolt/nut mount that cannot back out, and that solves the vibrating roller/bearing design that can cause catastrophic failure.

As for things like primary clutch and rollers ect....sure I'd love to see a beefed primary. But I think from a standpoint of STOCK HP, YAM likely feels it is good enough. I would like to see them remove the allen screws at least, or just go back to Apex clutch period. I also would like to see some sort of update to the stub shaft! Everyone has this issue where it moves inward, not too mention its NOISY as hell! Why not re-design this to be quiet(or at least quieter), And make it so It cannot MOVE inward, which in turn throws off clutch alignment and then blows even more belts. A re-designed stub shaft could also be weighted to help with engine harmonics, in-turn making the clutches last longer.

Im sure there are more fixes but these seem to be the most...I'd like to see a ONE PIECE tunnel, eliminate all the rivets which loosen over time. Otherwise I think the sled can remain similar and likely wont change much at all. I do however think Cat will bring out a new narrower Gen2 procross for their 2s ONLY.

Dan

Last edited:
Dano and I were also noticing, at certain angles(pic below)....that is a GT taller window on this Blue power steering '22.

Makes sense....the GT should get EPS as its a cruiser. Also has the manual Qs3 shocks. Only thing that does not make sense to me, is why does this sled in video have the lower front springs(ala SRX)?? I guess we will find out March 9th.

Dan

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 1.18.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Couple things come to mind after reading above replies....

I think we do need to remember, there have been SEVERAL changes/updates since 2017 model year. Some of these are true changes and well documented, but not all.

• New brake lever/reservoir ect.
  • New switch gear
  • New front end geometry/spindles
  • Heated ROV(attempt at fixing the freeze issue, albeit most here show it does not work)
  • Better Driveshaft/bearing fitment(some mentioned their new shaft to have a interference fit)
  • Tough material coolant hose(updated coolant hose between runner & bulkhead exchanger)
  • New Idler wheel placement and type
  • New rear axle/3 wheel design
  • New Stryke ski(FINALLY!)

There may be a few I missed, but many of these have come since my '18 model year, so for a guy like me these are all good news. Not needing to add Pilot ski's, I can run the stock STRYKE ski with single carbide and go nut with that due to EPS will still steer light.

I certainly would love to see YAMAHA adopt the stellar top gear/bushing(DMC design) for higher mileage reliability. I think most guys will still ad the BOP driveshaft saver device, regardless if fitment is better. Maybe YAM should just ad a similar device right out of the box! LOL. Roller tensioner for me is a personal thing, since it ruined a trip and I got towed due to those tiny screws backing out. So tack weld them for sure, or better yet YAM should redesign that to a delrin pad, use a bolt/nut mount that cannot back out, and that solves the vibrating roller/bearing design that can cause catastrophic failure.

As for things like primary clutch and rollers ect....sure I'd love to see a beefed primary. But I think from a standpoint of STOCK HP, YAM likely feels it is good enough. I would like to see them remove the allen screws at least, or just go back to Apex clutch period. I also would like to see some sort of update to the stub shaft! Everyone has this issue where it moves inward, not too mention its NOISY as hell! Why not re-design this to be quiet(or at least quieter), And make it so It cannot MOVE inward, which in turn throws off clutch alignment and then blows even more belts.

Im sure there are more fixes but these seem to be the most...I'd like to see a ONE PIECE tunnel, eliminate all the rivets which loosen over time. Otherwise I think the sled can remain similar and likely wont change much at all. I do however think Cat will bring out a new narrower Gen2 procross for their 2s ONLY.

Dan
Good to know, both my 16’s have been sold. I currently have an 18’ viper. I knew there have been some small updates.

Good to know, both my 16’s have been sold. I currently have an 18’ viper. I knew there have been some small updates.
Viper is a nice sled....I feel Yam would sell a ton more Vipers if the price point was further from a Winder. Its by far the nicest NA 4s on market. If it had abit more power/top end, at abit lower price point, i think they would sell alot more. Maybe add EPS to a Viper GT model too.

Dan

I’m considering another brand new viper, but also have my eyes on the new Polaris 650. Not sure what I want to do yet. Absolutely love the Yamaha engine and the viper sleds. And yes, they are fairly flat on the top end. With all the farm fields down here and the best conditions I’ve seen in years...I kinda wish I had a turbo sled

Viper is a nice sled....I feel Yam would sell a ton more Vipers if the price point was further from a Winder. Its by far the nicest NA 4s on market. If it had abit more power/top end, at abit lower price point, i think they would sell alot more. Maybe add EPS to a Viper GT model too.

Dan
I agree, something with Na 140-150hp viper and power steering would be a perfect sled for a lot of riders.

I’m considering another brand new viper, but also have my eyes on the new Polaris 650. Not sure what I want to do yet. Absolutely love the Yamaha engine and the viper sleds. And yes, they are fairly flat on the top end. With all the farm fields down here and the best conditions I’ve seen in years...I kinda wish I had a turbo sled
Im aiming to have 2 sleds, this way I can have a super fun flickable sled for ultra tight trails around Muskoka and then have a big turbo for Qc. Im open to all brands more then ever, there really is no bad sled made today and I love swapping with buds, it always keeps things interesting. I would be bored riding same sled forever. Never owned a POO yet but will say the Matryx may be worth a try for my local sled. Gonna see what the 22 DOO has to offer as well.

Dan

I had entertained buying the Cat 9000 for next year as I have a dealer less than 3 miles away and my Yamaha dealer is moving to Grand Bend which is further away. However, IF that is a Winder with power steering, I'm not sure it will be on the Cat.

What’s this bushing your talking about?

The bushing in the top gear in the chain case. It’s pressed into gear and wears on jackshaft overtime. If it gets too worn and will start to wobble and grind against other gear. I got 7700 miles out of mine on my old sled before it went. I was unaware of the problem until it happened. I wouldn’t wait that long..lol. I now change that gear every season when I have the chaincase open for yearly maintenance.

Dano and I were also noticing, at certain angles(pic below)....that is a GT taller window on this Blue power steering '22.

Makes sense....the GT should get EPS as its a cruiser. Also has the manual Qs3 shocks. Only thing that does not make sense to me, is why does this sled in video have the lower front springs(ala SRX)?? I guess we will find out March 9th.

Dan

View attachment 159629

Bigger windshield might be just an accessory added on to srx. I know cat like to show there new sleds in the release videos with added accessories. Maybe this is the case. Shocks are the same in video as on my ZR 9000 limited

It definitely looks like a new hood and headlight and side panels. No much different, but it's different.
I did a side by side comparison and all the panels and headlight are the same

The bushing in the top gear in the chain case. It’s pressed into gear and wears on jackshaft overtime. If it gets too worn and will start to wobble and grind against other gear. I got 7700 miles out of mine on my old sled before it went. I was unaware of the problem until it happened. I wouldn’t wait that long..lol. I now change that gear every season when I have the chaincase open for yearly maintenance.
I open up the chain case every year for inspection but have never looked for this bushing. I’ll check it out once winter is over. Thanks

Back