• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

Looks good. I used two grip heater elements. 1.5 amp draw per element. I can assure you they got hot really fast.

I was thinking about attaching the heater elements directly to the battery, but found out i should test it on my workbench first.

I used a IR camera to measure the temperature on the element at 13 volts / 1.5 amp draw. The hottest part of the element reached 110 degrees celcius. Needless to say, I decided to follow Bill's idea, and attach the element to a thin metal plate and alu-tape it to the battery surface.

The first picture is measured on the side attached to the battery surface.

The second one is on directly on the heater element.

Attachments

• IR000119.jpeg
    IR000119.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IR000118.jpeg
    IR000118.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 91
Thanks Dimebag for the infrared work.

I was wondering about whether or not you needed the alumium sheet behind the element as it wass adding width to my battery, and my battery holder which is already tight.

Guess this means I'm going back to fabricate another battery holder to allow for the plates.

;)! OTM

No problem ;)!

There was enough space with the factory bracket even with the heater elements and the alu plates. The bracket bends pretty easy so it was no problem.

You will only need to have the grip heater on for 1-2 minutes...not long at all....

My next experiment is just turning key to on, and let it sit for a couple minutes....not sure of the draw in the on position...but would think this would work at well...

we just need those little lithiums mixing with those little ferrouses and we get magic....

-4c today. Fired right up on first attempt,without heaters.

Its -12c outside now, so we'll see tomorrow how it works in that temp.

So far its looking really good ;)!

huggermax,

Li-ion use a constant current, constant voltage charger, where a regular lead acid charger will vary both.. Because the batteries have different chemistries the charging cycles and voltages are quite different.

Also, since Li Ion's loose charge so slowly, you have no issues storing them for 6 months or longer, thus a charger is less of a requirement.

OTM

OTM,

These are lithium ferrous....do they have same properties or different?

mtdream:

The Lithium-ion batteries we are using have LiFePO4 chemistry, or lithium, iron, and phosphate, so I am sure the marketing departments will have a field day coming up with names to confuse everyone but Lithium Ferrous, Lithium Iron and Lithium Iron Phosphate are all the same battery technology.

When it comes to chargers, there really are two kinds:

Standard Li-Ion: Which are CCCV (constant current, constant voltage) chargers. They look the same as a regular trickle charger only they provide a different kind of power to the battery. Standard L-ion chargers should be common among all manufacturers. Cheap and universal.

Balanced Chargers:
Similar to the charging system inside your laptop (Its the reason why there are so many connectors on a laptop battery!), balanced chargers charge each cell independently. They claim to double the life of your battery. Because balanced chargers require access to each cell, they will have proprietary connectors.

Looking at the battery manufacturers Shorai only has a balanced charger, Ballistic have both, and both Full Spectrum Power and Super B only have standard chargers.

I know, clear as mud. I have a standard charger and use it on my shorai and super B, with no problems.

OTM

Oh yeah one big warning (although its been mentioned before): These batteries cannot be recovered if the voltage goes below 6 volts. So if you leave your key on overnight...the battery becomes a paperweight!

Off Trail Mike said:
mtdream:

Oh yeah one big warning (although its been mentioned before): These batteries cannot be recovered if the voltage goes below 6 volts. So if you leave your key on overnight...the battery becomes a paperweight!

I disagree.

I left my warmer on all night and the battery was dead. When I turned the key it would not even light anything up. Jumped the battery and it has worked fine.

@dime,

All your fi dings are similar to mine...no issues, and the heater/battery alarm clock is not really critical, but just like a shot of coffee...

We still need pics of the ride!!

Im looking forward to see the results with the heater elements.

Im in the mountains right now, staying here until next sunday. I'll post up some pictures when i get home again.

We have amazing riding conditions here at the moment ;)!

-10c this morning. Heaters on for 5 minutes. Started on second attempt.

Looks like the temps will be the same for tomorrow, so I will try with 10 minutes heating. Hopefully it will fire right up.

Im curious how this battery would work if temps where around -30c as they usually are this time of the year..

Back