• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

It'll be interesting to see if the Shorai acts the same way.

Yes I am using a screwdriver to start it Thumbs Up. Secret trick for when your key falls out in the snow inverted in a tree.
I despise keys which is why I went to push button start two years ago.

Nikolai said:

I agree, I just hadn't taken the time to do it to this sled yet. My MTX two years ago had a alder rip the key and tumbler out. So when my key fell out friday I knew I could pop the tumbler out and use a screwdriver. I'll be installing the switches now ;)!

Nikolai said:
It'll be interesting to see if the Shorai acts the same way.

Yes I am using a screwdriver to start it Thumbs Up. Secret trick for when your key falls out in the snow inverted in a tree.

Love details on the push button starter!!!!

2012-01-02_21-56-11_307.jpg

Here is the set up I ran the last couple years. It's just cut off right before the key switch. The two wires with white tracers on them go to the momentary starter switch, the two without go to a standard switch for Ignition. In the picture the two wires on the ignition switch are on the same terminal since my switch went bad the end of last year so this was a temp fix.

What I am wondering is that with your battery you have it strapped to an aluminum frame that is wicked cold and can disapate any heat created extremely fast. I agree try to wrap the battery. Also am surprised that it is not starting even with the slow cranking my vector would have when cranking that slow.

Either way, the hand warmers seem like a nice option as well.

Guys:

Great thread. I have got a buddy testing the Shorai LFX27L3-BS12 which is 27amp-hr eq. and 405cca. So far at -10C, no issues what so ever. But at -20C, I'll bet it's going to be the same problem of "waking" the battery.

My problem is that I wanted to try using my Super B 10-P (which is an A123 lithium-ion tech battery) and is the equivalent of a 10 amp-hr 300 cca battery. I was planning to install it under the Skinz seat to move weight backwards. Now I am not sure whether I should install a battery heater (more weight) in that position or simply leave it in the stock position and make it a quick disconnect so you can keep it inside when the really cold weather comes to town.

Since its easier to fab a quick disconnect, I think I might start with this approach and try the heater after. The heater needs time to work and figuring out how many watts you need and for how long will make for interesting discussion.

My 2 cents on all this stuff is everyone should keep in mind that the colder the battery, the lower its starting voltage, regardless of battery technology and slow cranking your starter with low voltages drives the amperage up and is really hard on your starter. Do it too many times and its gonna smoke.

OTM

In 3500 miles on a Nytro I got to meet the wrong end of a rope today thanks to my battery. My cheap bikebats battery is going back in and this one I think is the perfect weight for a paper weight.

I'll go into more details later once I'm home.

wow, not looking good for these batteries at all!

Looking forward to hear what you have to say about this latest adventure, nothing worse then being on the wrong end of the tow rope.

Ok so here's the story.

Friday night between riding Friday and Sat my ignition got turned on in drunken shenanigans. So Saturday morning my battery was dead, No big deal. When we got to the trail head, I hooked it up to a truck to charge it up while I put my gear on and stuff. It sat for about 20 min, at this point it started without a problem even after the cables were unhooked. So I went riding did not have any problems for a couple hours, then my sled was cranking slow but started, so it had me worried. The next time it wouldn't start, So another guy there with a Nytro ran out to the truck and got the jumper cables to start mine. At this point I'm not very happy at all. So we hooked it up for probably 10 minutes then I made sure it ran for at least 30 min without shutting it down. Then I shut it down and it was dead again.

Then I decided to head for the truck since it seemed like I had multiple things telling me to just call it a weekend and head home safe. So about 1/2 mile from the parking lot my gauge started shutting off and turning on. The sled was missing as well. I did everything I could to get the sled as far as possible but then it died. Had to get towed out with a dead battery. :o|

So I have the battery in the shop now, it reads 0 volt's. I am not completely sure what caused this and why did not take a charge from the sled charging system. But it's absolutely not worth the 5 lbs it saves to me anymore.

I was really thinking of getting one of these light weight Batts but now I am on two minds.

Sorry we all had to learn from your hardships rlcofmn, but as usual thanks for posting.

I have been reading about the Anit Gravity Batts on another forum but it does not seem like any one has any experiences with cold starts yet. I wonder how they will work out?

Not yet, I'm sure it will be warranted if it's bad. But my problem is that costing me a day of riding is far more valuable than a couple pounds. I can't rely on this battery.

NLViper said:
I was really thinking of getting one of these light weight Batts but now I am on two minds.

Sorry we all had to learn from your hardships rlcofmn, but as usual thanks for posting.

I have been reading about the Anit Gravity Batts on another forum but it does not seem like any one has any experiences with cold starts yet. I wonder how they will work out?

It is what it is, I like trying new things.

Also worth noting, it was about 20 degrees.

Back