• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

rlcofmn said:
Not yet, I'm sure it will be warranted if it's bad. But my problem is that costing me a day of riding is far more valuable than a couple pounds. I can't rely on this battery.

Do you know if this was a charging issue or a wiring issue (fault or drain?).

Just reminds me when I was plowing a long time ago and the vehicle started behaving poorly and the lights started dimming. Turned out the alternator wasn't connected.

Though, a bad battery would cause the same issue as well.

Just curious if you have taken a close look at your electrical system. I guess an easy test would be to just put a different battery in and go for a ride to see if any problems exist.

Interesting stuff guys!!

:4STroke:

No I have not checked the charging system. I got home and was way worn out from the long weekend and deep snow so I did not do anything other than bring the battery inside to keep it from getting damaged anymore. Now I am at the airport flying out for work so it will be a few days. It completely could be the charging system but it seems unlikely that it would happen at the same time as the first time my battery went dead. I am planning on putting my 10s battery in, then checking the running voltage to make sure it is charging.

That sucks Rick. Here's a pic of the Shorai.
IMG_2721.jpg

Some cat guys are using the ballistic battery also and some on snowest, but have not heard good or bad. If rlfcon runs his other battery again with no issues it is going to be real hard to not to return it.

Lots of people are using it....one thing that might be able to be adapted, is a handlebar bag heater that is new this year from Arctic Cat.... Here is a pic, is perfect size for he application....

029fd87c.jpg

My guess is RL's issue is a faulty charge system or bad battery....looking forward to hearing....tens of thousands are in use...this is not something new under the sun...

But I am right there with him, if it turns out to be a issue wih this type of battery, no weight savings are worth sacrificing riding time!!!

I have yet to see a problem with a nytro charging system and I work on them daily. So for 5 years not one charging problem so its doubtfull for me to think its that. Just my .02

So, I stopped in at my dealer today to pickup up my new skinz font end! I have had a few dealers over the years and these guys are great and I started mentioning I may return the battery. I did not tell him about rlfcons issue and we got on topic of killing batteries. He said the quickest way to ruin a battery is to let it die and then leaving it in freezing weather because a dead battery will freeze.

Granted he was talking about lead batteries, but maybe the same...

HYFLYR said:
I have yet to see a problem with a nytro charging system and I work on them daily. So for 5 years not one charging problem so its doubtfull for me to think its that. Just my .02

Not doubting yammie parts, but a lot of us tweak the craP out of stuff, messing with electrical systems and attaching grounds to wrong things (right Stoli :)) so, my point is there is probably more to the problem than we know...

NOT saying we were not told the facts just that the Internet tends to bring out I stand "facts" that tend to be compounded on before knowing facts....

I am NOT saying RL is doing this...but one failure does not mean bad product, especially when we don't know enough to make that judgement...

beeze455 said:
So, I stopped in at my dealer today to pickup up my new skinz font end! I have had a few dealers over the years and these guys are great and I started mentioning I may return the battery. I did not tell him about rlfcons issue and we got on topic of killing batteries. He said the quickest way to ruin a battery is to let it die and then leaving it in freezing weather because a dead battery will freeze.

Granted he was talking about lead batteries, but maybe the same...

My battery was heated all night it was dead, so it was brought out into the cold and hooked to a truck right away to charge it. I also brought the battery inside as soon as I got back to town to keep from causing any more damage to it by freezing until I get back to my shop.

mtdream said:
HYFLYR said:

Not doubting yammie parts, but a lot of us tweak the craP out of stuff, messing with electrical systems and attaching grounds to wrong things (right Stoli :)) so, my point is there is probably more to the problem than we know...

NOT saying we were not told the facts just that the Internet tends to bring out I stand "facts" that tend to be compounded on before knowing facts....

I am NOT saying RL is doing this...but one failure does not mean bad product, especially when we don't know enough to make that judgement...

It will be interesting to see when I get back for sure. I will admit I was extremely irritated when I made the initial post after having issues on the deepest weekend of my life. But unless I find what happened the initial post will be the case.

It is very weird that basically what it seems like is that it took a initial charge from the Truck then did not charge at all from the sled. So it worked fine for a while but went downhill from there. Seems a lot like a charging system problem... But is it something to do with the battery causing it? Did the battery just go bad? Did something go wrong with the sled? We'll find out this weekend when I get back from a work trip. I've got multiple battery's, complete sled for parts to try if somethings wrong and the best Yamaha service manager around, that I bug way to much with questions. :o| ;)!

I'll keep you guy's posted, obviously I would love to run the battery. But I value my riding too much and invest way to much time/money into it to even loose a hour of riding for a few pounds.

As for the wiring on this sled it is stock with headlight/taillight removed, OFT ROV, two AEM gauges wired into ignition power and a PCV. So nothing major has been done.

Lol, thanks rick. I will say this about batteries as many may know, when they go dead its hard to ever get the health they once had back out. Now with these lightweight batteries I have seen it time and time again, once they go dead they often lose a cell which will prevent them from ever charging properly again or at all for that matter. I replace lightweight batteries daily, why, because they just dont have the lifespan or capacity of the stock yuasa battery. We've load tested, crank tested, and life tested many kinds here at the shop and when it comes to overall lifespan nothing beats a yuasa ytx20. Dont get me wrong I would love to lose weight here and there but not at the expense of a possible battery that wont start my sled when its cold. Hell, I even carry a spare battery in my truck just in case I have to you it as a jumper for me or others.
The lowest I would go or even consider using on my sled would be the yuasa ytz10. Ive had the same battery on my sled for 4 years now, only once did i have to jumper and i left the switch on all night, recharged it and now its fine. Ill take durability over weight loss in my battery anyday, the rest of the sled is a different story.

Back