• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

Yes we have tested the odessey. We tested them because we run them on our superchargers and were having battery issues. They do well intially but generally have a much shorter life span, 2-3 years max on average but also struggle at temps below 10 degrees to start. With that said they do test better than the xtreme and also trugel batteries. Trugel has been a large thorn in my side this year so I would recommend people stay away from them.

Gel batteries just arent where the standard lead-acid batteries are today. They are good fairweather batteries but for colder temps and extreme starting conditions I have yet to see one stand up to the test of time. Many work good at first but taper drastically. Again, my .02.

Off Trail Mike said:
Guys:

Great thread. I have got a buddy testing the Shorai LFX27L3-BS12 which is 27amp-hr eq. and 405cca. So far at -10C, no issues what so ever. But at -20C, I'll bet it's going to be the same problem of "waking" the battery.

OTM

It will be interesting to see how it does. At 27 AH the big Shoria looks to have the highest amp hour rating of the Lithium batteries and is still 9 pounds lighter then the Yuasa 20.
Dis-charging a battery to near 0 volts almost always causes permanent damage to a battery. Once in awhile its possible to recover a lead/acid battery, however it's life expectancy is usually reduced.

I have not gotten too deep into it yet but I did put a different battery in and it's charging at 14.1 volts.

Well guys, I'll get the report by the end of today. It is -18 deg C right now with a high of -16c for the day and was at least -25 deg C last night, so the Shorai battery will have a good cold soak to work with.

I know he spent last night at his camp, and will need to get moving today....will report back as soon as I hear the result.

OTM

Off Trail Mike said:
Well guys, I'll get the report by the end of today. It is -18 deg C right now with a high of -16c for the day and was at least -25 deg C last night, so the Shorai battery will have a good cold soak to work with.

I know he spent last night at his camp, and will need to get moving today....will report back as soon as I hear the result.

OTM
;)! ;)! ;)!

Off Trail Mike said:

OTM

;)!

Well...

Good news and bad. Temp was -22 deg C and sled was sitting out at -23 deg C all night. It (xtx) started, but it took six tries approximately 20 seconds apart, each one turning over better than the last.

So it looks like -20ish is very close to the lower limit to this technology if you are expecting a successful start.... He will probably get another shot at it this month with even lower temperatures, and will report them as well. I'll try to get a video of the start and a thermometer.

I am also going to figure out the heater approach, since clearly getting the Shorai up to -10deg C is enough to get a quick start. Its just a matter of long it takes before the battery responds to heat. If its a simple 5 minute thing, then OK, but if it takes hours.....I'm not going to pursue this very far.

Picking the biggest Shorai battery was definitely a good decision to start testing (its still only 4lbs), but I also have a couple of 12 cell Li-Ion batterys I'd like to try as well.

Guess the thread will live on for quite a while yet......

OTM

If that was the big Shorai then I'm screwed with my smaller one. Either need to figure out a battery warmer or change batteries. I'm going to deep cycle my YTZ-10 in hopes that I can use it again.

Its the LFX27L3-BS12 Caleb. It's a close dimensional match to the Yuasa 20, with stronger performance than the stocker (when warm!)

I'm not giving up on a battery heater, it just might work because the 12 cells are so small and light, they take less watts and should still warm up fast.

I was thinking of building a kind of heating plate, using a silicone rubber element (Kat's) with a 60/80 C deg temp switch which is small and light. I don't have the details figured out yet, but, if I put the battery under the Skinz seat I am using, I might be able to sandwich the heater between the tunnel and the battery, and still fit it under the seat...maybe.

I'll get pictures.....

OTM

I did some more testing with the aluminum heated plates. With the two plates wired in parallel, they are very hot to the touch within 30 seconds and are drawing 2.5 amps. This is with bare plates not touching a battery. If they are attached to a cold battery, it would slow down the warm up some as the battery would be acting as heat sink. But thats where you want the heat to go away!
I would think that the higher amperage draw should help "wake" the battery as well. The other bonus is that would be converting electrical energy into heat energy, then putting it back in to the battery. Instead of using it to fire the head light, ignition system, etc.
I'm thinking that I might try the big Shoria, then attach one plate on each side of the battery and warp it with some type of heat tape or header wrap.
It would also give me a chance to test different shut-off voltages for the ROVCMs, since Lithuim batteries typically have a higher free-standing voltage to state of charge ratio then lead/acid batteries.
The heat plates are very light, a guy could probably build a complete heater set-up and still have it weight only a few ounces. ;)!

One other thing to think about...

The end of the day before my battery left me stranded my PCV quit working. So I took it off all night, to make sure it was good and dry. Put it on the next morning, same deal. I ended up unhooking it and using safety wire to hold my waste gate open. This is what we call a No boost kit :o| .

So I got a new PCV coming right away for the next weekend (last weekend) But I did not get back from my work trip till it was a hour too late to pick it up from my PO box. I was not a happy at all since I can't ride the next 3 weekends. So I decided to try it and wire my wastegate open if I had to again.

With the stock battery back in my PCV is working perfect. So my battery was causing issues with the charging system before it became apparent. I did not do anything else to the sled but swap out the battery and check the charging system. I hope the Shorai is better...

Yeah, electronics and charging systems don't like bad batteries. I see this from time to time when working with computer controls on vehicles that have a battery with a dead cell in it. It can create all sorts of weird issues.

I decided to pull the trigger on the big Shorai and give it a try. It doesn't get that cold where I live, it's very rare for it to get below +10F. Most of the time its closer to freezing. I'll build a heater for it just in case it does get very cold though.

One thing I like about the Shorai is the rectangular shaped cells should in theory allow better heat transfer from the heating plates.
The Shorai amp-hour rating is 27ah, while the stock battery is 18ah and Ballistic and Antigravity come in at 12 or 16ah depending on the cell count.
I'm thinking (or maybe just hoping!) that the 27 ah rating will be well suited to powering up a heater!

BTW Hey mtdream 9 pages and 132 replies, not bad for a "boring" topic eh! ;)!

Hey riders it was -10 degrees Fahrenheit so a good time to test. I have a MTX Phazer and the intial start was cranking to slow to start and dash pod was flickering. Left the key in the on position and went to start the blower truck to clean snow up. Came back 5 minutes later with key still in the on position and it started right up. Temps where I live are usually from 10-30 degress Fahrenheit above. I have had no issues with mine starting all year since this event. I'll stick with it for the weight loss.

UP bushman said:
Hey riders it was -10 degrees Fahrenheit so a good time to test. I have a MTX Phazer and the intial start was cranking to slow to start and dash pod was flickering. Left the key in the on position and went to start the blower truck to clean snow up. Came back 5 minutes later with key still in the on position and it started right up. Temps where I live are usually from 10-30 degress Fahrenheit above. I have had no issues with mine starting all year since this event. I'll stick with it for the weight loss.

UP bushman,
Sounds good, what size Shorai are you running?

Back