• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
Yamasledder, that is my question. So Yamaha's and Cat's have the same engine in all of there Vipers and ZR's and yet some have success with the flashes and others don't, makes no sense at all.

I bought my 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre last March and they did a new flash on it before I brought it home. I only had one hot start issue in the 500 + miles I put on it but have no history with this sled to know if the flash made it better or worst

Finally got the time to have mine updated. Thought I could share my experience.
2016 MTX 162" with mcx 270 turbokit.

Pre-update it would start after 1 sec, and immediately idle at 1600RPM. At cold start it would run at 1800 till the temp was good. I rarely had to turn the key twice to get it going. I had nothing to complain about.

Post update: At 0°C/32°F I had to crank it for 5 seconds, then it would barely start, then idle at around 800 and slowly up to 1500. Seemed like it really struggled to get going. It idles at lower RPM, so it sounds different. But then I noticed the RPM was more stabile and barely flinched 50RPMs at idle. I tested it on the field, and it responded noticably better. I parked, let go of the throttle, and the RPM slooowly went from 2000-1500, which it has never done before. Don't know how it will respond at cold start yet, but I have a bad feeling about this whole new update thing. I do like how I can suddenly hear turbo flutter again after installing a straight pipe :)

I dropped my ‘16 STX-DX at the dealer for some preseason work. They said they flashed the ECU but does the date on the diagnostic menu change? Please see pic with a 1/31/14 date:

https://imgur.com/uySfBKx

Attachments

• 394AA1B6-C52E-4417-905C-54FFF2603E0E.jpeg
    394AA1B6-C52E-4417-905C-54FFF2603E0E.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 211
Since most of us are out of warranty or going out its about time to give up on Yamaha and Cat and go aftermarket tune. Looks like Precision is our best hope for a honest good true flash and not ripping apart the ECU to do it. Couple guys are working on getting it done. Lets hope we have another option. If it was Baseball Yamaha and Cat struck out what 2 flashes ago! Embarrassing.

I bought mine as a hold over and rode it at sea level and was very happy with the power/etc

this thread has me concerned what might happen when I take to the mountains/elevation this winter.....

I bought mine as a hold over and rode it at sea level and was very happy with the power/etc

this thread has me concerned what might happen when I take to the mountains/elevation this winter.....
You would know if you had starting or stalling issues already. No worries. Keep in mind that other than the longer crank which this latest flash has most are happy with it. Its just not perfect in some cases.

I did notice when it was warm-shut sled off, restarted within a few seconds-it did crank a long time and didn’t start. I let off the key and cranked it again for what seemed a long time but it did start. Other than that no issues.

Back