• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
Thanks for the pic Cannondale. If the reluctor was out of phase wouldn't that cause it to run like crap all the time. After it comes up to temp it runs normal.
Not necessarily. The ecu needs crank position to start the motor. Once running it calculates when to fire the ignition by piston speed at least most modern ignitions do. The ones that I dealt with the complaint was always starting. Another place to look is the Idle Air control. You can check operation of it in diagnostic mode on your guage. However if the passageways have carbon or dirt in them could be a issue also. You are going to have to eliminate things one at a time. Heck even could eliminate ecu if you could find someone to swap with you. Wish I had a better answer for you. Hope you can figure it out.

Well here is my problem I also have to give it a little throttle to get it started but once it's running it idles fine and runs great I just bought a new stub shaft and pick up we'll have to see what happens. I never had to do this before so not sure what the deal is. I took out the old stub shaft it looks like the timing gear might have moved a little pretty hard to tell it's definitely not as bad as the one in the pics I've seen on here. I was just thinking the other day that I recently adjusted my throttle cable so I hope it's nothing to do with the TORS because those parts where not cheap, I guess we will see I'm hoping it's not the vavles, it runs really strong except for this starting issues that has came about.

Well here is my problem I also have to give it a little throttle to get it started but once it's running it idles fine and runs great I just bought a new stub shaft and pick up we'll have to see what happens. I never had to do this before so not sure what the deal is. I took out the old stub shaft it looks like the timing gear might have moved a little pretty hard to tell it's definitely not as bad as the one in the pics I've seen on here. I was just thinking the other day that I recently adjusted my throttle cable so I hope it's nothing to do with the TORS because those parts where not cheap, I guess we will see I'm hoping it's not the vavles, it runs really strong except for this starting issues that has came about.
Can you take a pic of the old stubshaft? Its pretty easy to check the valves. I admit its not easy to adjust them though.

Can do sometime tomorrow. Mine has only had the first flash witch I believe was 2015.

Can do sometime tomorrow. Mine has only had the first flash witch I believe was 2015.
Thats your choice. Never had a backfire,codes or kickback?For cable adjustment look for the little nub on lever. Adjust so with a light touch a credit card easily slides through the nub and block.

Wonder if the kickback issue is the cause of some stub shafts rotating out of time. That would begin to explain why the new flash helps some machines and not others.

Wonder if the kickback issue is the cause of some stub shafts rotating out of time. That would begin to explain why the new flash helps some machines and not others.
It has to be some mechanical variability or the method they use of installing the flash by using the internet is faulty.

I looked at my stub shaft again today doesn't look like the timing gear moved but hard to tell. I need my wife to put the pics I took on here. I have not a clue how to do that hopefully she will get to it tonight or tomorrow morning. It does look like the end of the sensor was pretty dirty not sure if that whould have an effect on anything.

It has to be some mechanical variability or the method they use of installing the flash by using the internet is faulty.
Yeah, that's a wildcard too. After the flash is installed it should be read back and verified and a "flash successfully loaded" message sent to the technician. Since I've never seen it performed....hard tellin'...not knowin'! #*$&@, techs probably watching Beaver Dan goes to Thailand on the shop laptop when customers showing up for flashes!

Beaver Dan goes to Thailand that's funny #*$&@ right there but oh so true. Not many dealers I trust anymore.

Yeah, that's a wildcard too. After the flash is installed it should be read back and verified and a "flash successfully loaded" message sent to the technician. Since I've never seen it performed....hard tellin'...not knowin'! #*$&@, techs probably watching Beaver Dan goes to Thailand on the shop laptop when customers showing up for flashes!
I have seen it go bad myself. It should be on a Zip drive and installed right from that. We had the same issues back in Cannondale days using the Internet. That was 20 years ago.

No cold start issues before last flash. It's on its 3rd flash. Stock flash always started first try. Second flash, supposed kickback flash, my sled would take 2 tries to start, but always started. It never backfired until the 2nd flash was done. Sounds odd that flashing the ECU would result in tight valves. What's involved to check/adjust valves?
My 14 viper all of sudden had the same cold start idle issue. Big pain in #*$&@ when you need to hold throttle until it warms up in a trailer, choke to death. I did my valves this off season myself. $100 in parts but lots of labor. (2 of my valves at 0 clearance) To check valves only takes an hour or little more to remove valve cover and check valves. Now to adjust them is different story. If you head that route, I can lend assistance and/or service manual

I love my ZR 7000 El Tigre that I bought last winter but am wondering if I should have bought the 6000 instead due to all of the flash, cold start and backfire issues I am reading. My buddy has a 2007 Apex and has never had to worry about these issues. I did not have cold start issues last winter but also did not sled in extreme cold, I did purchase the new sealed relays for the fuel pump and ecu this past summer. The only issue I did have was a difficult warm start but only once, it took (3) tries to start

Back