• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

O2 sensor is gone on the 17 Vipers

View attachment 120576

The picture above is my wife's Viper during the starter replacement. How much do you think it costs the dealer/Yamaha to change out a starter if you have to check for debris in the crankcase from the starter failure? And without a fix this may be required every 3 or so years. You then add in customer dissatisfaction and lost future sales not just from snowmobiles but people who ride snowmobiles also ride other Yamaha products.

Sometimes you just need to let the corporation make the financial assessment because they can make a much more comprehensive financial assessment than you might think.

I will wait and see. Since 2014 I have invested a lot of money on snowmobiles, a SXS and accessories for these vehicles.

I may have made the wrong decision, only time will tell, but i had my ecu reflashed by EVO.
partially because of its starting problems, and partially because its never run right. So far i am happy with how ot starts and runs, but this winter will be its first real test.
I bought the longest extended warranty available because I have absolutely no faith that my model 14 sled is getting any further fixes from the big Y

Same here except I tuned crappy idle out with POwer Commander and O2 sensor has also been bypassed. Maybe that's why I haven't had any kickbacks or starter failures approaching 10000 mi. I understand why someone would ditch Yamaha if this happened to them but then have to heed the advice of one guy who did have it happen"Fix it and go ride. Is one of hundreds of failures that could happen on the trail" This is so true. Really is a miracle these sleds ever get us home considering the conditions and beating we put them through. Best to just be as proactive as possible and just go have fun.

Same here except I tuned crappy idle out with POwer Commander and O2 sensor has also been bypassed. Maybe that's why I haven't had any kickbacks or starter failures approaching 10000 mi. I understand why someone would ditch Yamaha if this happened to them but then have to heed the advice of one guy who did have it happen"Fix it and go ride. Is one of hundreds of failures that could happen on the trail" This is so true. Really is a miracle these sleds ever get us home considering the conditions and beating we put them through. Best to just be as proactive as possible and just go have fun.

2 of the 3 Vipers that had Starter failures at my dealer made it another 250+ miles with the damaged starters and my wife's made it to the end of the season and started a month later 2 times to load and unload from the trailer taking it to the dealers for repair. When I discussed the situation when the starter "Big Bang" happened with my dealer he told me to "go ride" if it quits we'll just fix it! So she rode and finished the last two rides of the season. That was the best advice ever!

Cannondale,
How did you bypass the O2 sensor? Using the Power Commander?

Good opportunity for a product for someone. The o2 sensor does very little except throw a code when it burns out. Any takers?

Good opportunity for a product for someone. The o2 sensor does very little except throw a code when it burns out. Any takers?

Maybe this is a dumb question but why would you have your ECU reflashed by evolution for $600+ when you could bypass the 02 sensor and customize your fuel map with a power commander? It seems like there are lots of good maps out there that have been proven to help out a lot. I'm hoping my 15 XF 7000 runs like a dream, but if it doesn't I'm leaning towards getting a PC for it.

Maybe this is a dumb question but why would you have your ECU reflashed by evolution for $600+ when you could bypass the 02 sensor and customize your fuel map with a power commander? It seems like there are lots of good maps out there that have been proven to help out a lot. I'm hoping my 15 XF 7000 runs like a dream, but if it doesn't I'm leaning towards getting a PC for it.
I have no idea why. I have gone another direction. Just look at my mods. Still not happy but its everybit as fast on snow as anyone out there NA with boltons or flashes and I dont have to spin the clutch at over the stock rev limiter to do it. That means alot to me since it eliminates clutch machining,is more efficient clutching wise and easier on the engine. Stepping it up this year also. More than one way to skin a cat though! No pun intended.

The PC5 only adjusts and cleans up the fuel map....Does it make power? Not the power that comes out of the EVO flash. The EVO flash changes timing, changes fuel, is a proven product that makes hpr, was fully dyno tested, track tested and run tested on the trail.

You can get an ignition module that can change timing, but after you add all of these up buying new...you will have a grand into your PC5 and now you have to figure out your mapping or get a map from someone. Is it cool to be able to adjust your fuel and timing? Sure, but some just want to bolt in and go.

The PC5 only adjusts and cleans up the fuel map....Does it make power? Not the power that comes out of the EVO flash. The EVO flash changes timing, changes fuel, is a proven product that makes hpr, was fully dyno tested, track tested and run tested on the trail.

You can get an ignition module that can change timing, but after you add all of these up buying new...you will have a grand into your PC5 and now you have to figure out your mapping or get a map from someone. Is it cool to be able to adjust your fuel and timing? Sure, but some just want to bolt in and go.
Not to mention the raised rev limiter for easy clutching.

Got it, now I can see why someone would put down some extra $$$ for the EVO. Install the product and hit the trails. HP without messing around.

Not to mention the raised rev limiter for easy clutching.
Ignition Module also changes rev limiter to whatever you want. But as I said there is no reason to raise the rev limiter if you choose mods that dont require it. That said I understand folks not wanting to tune or do anymore than just plug the ECU in. But some like me like to be prepared for any mods and to go back to stock easily without cost. Also I understand it takes some work to do videos and such but its fun. Yet I have not seen any Viper other than a Turbo post a video and gps higher than about 106mph. PCV or EVO flash. Where is all this supposed HP going? My guess is right out the clutches when being spun at 9200+ rpm. To me the cheapest way to go faster would be to go Turbo!

Personally, my #1 reason for chosing the evo reflash because i travel 5 hours to ride.
When i get there i want a proven product that works. I just dont have the time available to tune and play around.
Ive got other people waiting on me to ride. I like the plug and play aspect.
The 2nd reason was increased revlimiter for easier clutching.

If i had the ability to test and tune from home i definately would have went another route. But since i dont. Evo was the best option for me

I have the pc5 with mapping from Dave at Hurricane and he said to leave the o2 plugged in for "low speed compensation"

His choice. Low speed and idle was easy to tune myself. No risk either way just don't want o2 sensor messing with any of my maps since it runs so nice without it. That stock sensor is not wideband anyway does very little except cause light and $ when it burns out.

Back