• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Off-season maintenance

Snowman11

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
06 Apex GT
Starting to tear it appart as unfortunately it's over for the year .. I've heard clutch side bearings need checking ..jackshaft and drive shaft Repacking ect... And how do I pull the secondary to check the jack shaft bearing ?

Starting to tear it appart as unfortunately it's over for the year .. I've heard clutch side bearings need checking ..jackshaft and drive shaft Repacking ect... And how do I pull the secondary to check the jack shaft bearing ?
Remove belt take out secondary bolt slide secondary off. If you look in the FAQ there is a step by step with pictures. I'm guessing that you have all the tooling to perform job should not take to long.

Awesome thank you guys , I wasn't sure if it involved a clutch puller or anything , I was a mechanic at a dealership for 6 years , I've got the tools .. just never owned a sled that looked so complex ... My last sled was an 02 mxz 600

No puller needed on secondary, you will need to lock the brake to get secondary bolt loose, biggest challenge if your new to sleds is getting the belt off the sheave, once you do it once, it is then easier.

I'm also going to do the donuts , oil change , plugs ,chain case oil, coolant flush , slides .. general maintenance , but may Add a few extras along the way...

Last edited:
It's a good thing I check these bearings.... Jackshaft bearing was lil dry... Drive shaft one was completely dry, no thing but few clumps .... Should I check the chaincase side ? Or them being emmursed in oil , make them not really an issuie

What's the difference in that ? Better seat ? I dunno what that is .. sorry
We've all been there in my opinion wish I would have done this mod first but that's me. When you get into the exhaust your seat needs to be removed would be a good time to do the WRP seat mod. All it is new foam and a cover. I'm six foot this gave my legs the straightness that I needed.

If I had to do it over I would have recovered it with stock seat cover.

Seat seems to be in pretty good shape .. only had her out a few times this year , just bought it in Jan.

if you are north of 6000mi, i would take the chain case down to look at the bearings as a sled i sold my brother at around that milage lost a bearing cage on the chain case bearing for the drive axle despite oil being replaced annually.

I've got 4444 mi on it , I guess I'm going this far and ive got it appart .. won't hurt to repack those chaincase bearings as well .. much easier when it's in the warm garage to just do a lil preventative maintenance , than to blow out on the trail , grease is cheap

chain case does run in oil but if you want to grease them, go for it.

Back